ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New top installed! 86 Roadster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: New top installed! 86 Roadster Reply with quote

I ordered a new top from TopsOnLne for $465 in the black cloth.

https://www.topsonline.com/model/Convertible_Tops_And_Accessories/McLaren/1984_thru_1986_McLaren_(ASC_Conversion).html

I brought it to a local auto upholstery shop and they installed it for $600. It looks GREAT!!! It does have a few wrinkles in it, but we haven't had many days over 70 degrees, so I'm thinking that it will shrink up when it gets warmer. the important thing is that they got it to sit flush on the tonneau on the sides--you never see that kind of fit on the after market tops.

So, I would highly recommend these tops!

In addition, I had an 88 ASC roadster about 10 years ago and the same shop installed a new top on that car. They ordered it from TopsOnLine.com and I really wasn't as impressed with it at that time. I doubt that TOL has changed their design, but maybe they have improved their manufacturing process??

I know in this age, we don't see many positive comments on vendors, but we all need new tops and we are nervous about shelling out good money on a gamble. I have to say that I had a good experience with TopsOnLine.com.
67 Mustang GTA Convt
7ftbill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, why didn't you go with the OEM one?
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

The 'OEM' ones were $750 and I didn't know how long they had been sitting around.
67 Mustang GTA Convt
7ftbill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point, I was worried about the plastic deteriorating over time too. I suppose if they are stored well, it shouldn't be too much of an issue though
svo413

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Top Reply with quote

I was not thrilled with the OEM top. Both in fit and durability.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
86capri62

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally had a factory(supposed) replacement that came from Hank Huisman and it was not at all identical to my original one. Maybe it was a late models from mustang instread of capri.
I did business many times with topsonline and Vic is a great guy to do business with. If you ever need leather seat of good quality ask him. He's cheap and work is excellent. I'm sure he can reproduce both the standrad and Recaro. He did two Ferrari for me and I was very satisfied. Both from scratch using my old cover as template.
77 Ferrari 308 GTB(sold)
90 Ferrari Testarossa(yellow)(sold)
2007 Corvette convertible supercharged(sold)
2005 MB SLK 350
2008 Rotorway helicopter
7ftbill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
Did your wrinkles come out? I am starting to think I might need a new top Sad

Now that I have gotten my motor working again (thanks to capri50asc!), the top is so tight that my tonneau will not go down all the way...

can you send a couple pics?
svo413

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Top Reply with quote

There should be no wrinkles in a cloth top. The plastic windows will smooth out in the sun. Vinyl tops with wrinkles show go away with time.
85 ASC Vert #612205
7ftbill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Reply with quote

svo413 wrote:
There should be no wrinkles in a cloth top. The plastic windows will smooth out in the sun. Vinyl tops with wrinkles show go away with time.

Thanks Kevin. Ordered my top a week or two ago, they said manufacturing time is about 3 weeks total. Hoping it will resolve my issue - not that I just have $$ to throw at a new top =/
svo413

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Top Reply with quote

I ordered an OEM top and had it installed about 10 years ago. About a year later, the plastic windows fell out because the stitching rotted out. The plastic is date coded and said 1988. I have to believe it was OEM as ASC was still running at that time.

I had the windows resewn and rest it still holding up. Not much more life in it. It’s starting to rub through from the cover.
85 ASC Vert #612205
capri50asc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Taking care of your top on your ASC Capri/Mustang Reply with quote

Taking care of our tops on these cars needs special care. Here is some good tips:

1) Never go through a automatic car wash
2) use a very lite brush to clean with gentle soap and water
3) Never lower your top if its wet..It must be dry before lowering it or raising it
4) Never dry clean the plastic windows. Use a spray bottle with water and a micro fiber cloth to dry.
5) Limit the time the car is in the sun light with the top up. the UV from the sun destroys the clear plastic window by drying out the oils in the materials.
6) Never leave your top down for more then a couple weeks. Put the top up for a day or two. The top will need to relearn its seating position and prevent any kind of shrinkage.
7) Lube the the arms once a year with a lite machine oil
Cool When you lower the top and before locking the cover look at top and look for any rub points on the arms or where the top is stuck between the arm rails. use micro fiber cloths in the arm.
9) Also use micro fiber cloths on the plastic windows as the top tucks itself in . As the top moves down the road these cloths will protect the windows from wear marks.
10) When the top is down and before closing the top down , make sure the header panel screws do not rub on the top. Use self adhesive tape on the top on the area where these screws could damage the top.
11) Check to make sure your two locking handles are locked back in the tucked position before locking it down.
12) Think about mounting a small light with a switch to check on the pull down motor at night.
13)Use a good grease for the holes in the header panel that lock the top down when you raise the top to lock down.
14) On the inside of the top when its up look for "rub" spots and apply strips of velcro to inside of the top (fuzz side) to will save from a hole going through.
15) If park your car outside with the top up. Never lock the car....The crook will just cut through the top Just leave the doors unlocked!

Chris
Very Happy Very Happy Surprised
svo413

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: New top Reply with quote

Ok, so during a break in the last rain storm, I looked out the window and saw the car cover sagging severely on the passenger side center roof. Clearly the vert top had failed. It must have just ripped moments before. I had to go out of town so I threw a 4 foot rubber mat over the roof and put the cover back on.

My turn to order a new top again. Looks like Topsonline only has 1 model from EzOn. I need to get one on order ASAP. Sandy always warned us to watch for the rear window size and position as some may be out of proportion.

Can you post up a picture of an 84, 85, 86 rear windows on the new one please?
85 ASC Vert #612205
ElmerNiles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stressed over the plastic falling apart after some time as well. I assume on the off chance that they are put away well, it shouldn't be a lot of an issue however.
svo413

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Top Reply with quote

I ordered a new top about 2 weeks ago. Waiting for delivery.

I got back logged on projects so my 85 is waiting on the water pump reassembly from last fall. I have 2 cars to prep for tomorrow’s cars show. Maybe next weekend I will get it running and ready for the drive to the upholstery shop.
85 ASC Vert #612205
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: