ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mclaren identity crisis and value

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7ftbill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Mclaren identity crisis and value Reply with quote

First topic: let me say that I have owned a t-top Capri (1984 model) in the past and loved it, I've always love the capri body style vs the mustang (and I've had many of those). I am NOT a car collector, but this is my first "garage car" that I have owned and am working to restore/play around with.

I was looking for a fox body mustang with a budget of $6k, I preferred a convertible for a better resale value and was looking for something in the 3-4k range so I can immediately put some cash into bringing up to a decent condition. Little did I know that any decent fox body was going from $6k to $15k. I ran across this McLaren convertible and my heart went out to it, it was the Capri that I loved and the mustang vert all in one car with a uniqueness that called to me.
I deliberated many a sleepless night about whether I should buy this car or not, it was past my budget and I was worried about getting parts and making modifications about keeping it stock or making it the way that I want.

I know each owner will do what they wish with a car and what they do is up to them, I also know that I want to retain the uniqueness of this vehicle as that was the appeal to me in the first place. However, as I get into this, I find myself having anxiety about changing a "factory" part to aftermarket (from a cost or ordering perspective) and I feel like I am letting you guys down because most of you are keeping things 100% original as possible.
I am not asking for your permission, but more I just need to say these things out loud and see if anyone else shares this opinion and to see what yours are.

Second topic: I will most likely be moving out of the country in 5 years, I have to look at this as an investment, not only of love for the car but for money that I put into it. I understand that most "project" cars never get their value back, but at some point I will need to sell this car (If I cannot find someone to store it for me) and I would love to break close to even. So that being said, how do you guys handle this? I am justifying things by stating that as I looked for vehicles for sale most were $6-15k, but whether they were selling for that much is a different story. Most ppl do not know what these are and I've seen these go for $3k - 30's. Any advice or opinions are welcome...

Thanks for listening guys
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being sure what your car looks like. I would leave mostly stock. My thought is Most people that buy Capri Conv. want to enjoy top down cruising and want function and looks over Go FAST. That being said I have always like the Ground effects and headlight covers on them over the ones with out.

As far as storage LMK I maybe able to help and or know a place or 2
7ftbill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumkrazy wrote:
Not being sure what your car looks like. I would leave mostly stock. My thought is Most people that buy Capri Conv. want to enjoy top down cruising and want function and looks over Go FAST. That being said I have always like the Ground effects and headlight covers on them over the ones with out.

As far as storage LMK I maybe able to help and or know a place or 2

I don't want to build a racecar, though I do want to make a few modifications. My original goal with ANY car was to do a top engine rebuild, throw some decent exhaust/headers on and enjoy it.
This car, is all original - with the exception of the aftermarket door panels that I just ordered for it because the existing ones were in tulips condition.

This is where the initial "struggle" came from, I cringed at changing the door panels and I don't know if I can live with the anxiety of not being to change parts but still have the car retain it's value.

I want to live with it and enjoy it, accept the changes that I make, but I also don't want to sink 12k into this and only get 8k when I sell it (if I do).

This is why I called it an identity crisis, it seems I am trying to keep parts of it stock, and some parts of it not. This internal struggle is killing me though and making it NOT fun and NOT enjoyable.

Re Pics, here are some links on my initial post in the forums:

https://i.imgur.com/EGpdInK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SBMZIsj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IO5OZ4f.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/fDmV3ic.jpg
svo413

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Value Reply with quote

Your best bet for retaining its value is keeping it stock, or at least mostly stock.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
7ftbill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I pause doing anything, sell this and get a generic fox body to tinker around with? I can probably pull out of this for what I have in it to date...
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrestled with Keeping mine stock or making changes. I ended up going with the keeping it stock option....But, I made some changes to get the car to run and keep the stock feel to it.

I also don't have the leaving-the-country issue.

I think it would be worth more if it is as stock as possible, however, changing your door panels isn't the end of the world. I would keep the original panels, though, and sell them with the car if you sell it. You can enjoy the car with the new panels on it and still be proud of it.

I put a lot of effort into switching to 5-lug and 4 wheel disk brakes, but I decided that I should keep the ASC rims (like yours) because they really are part of the package. Now, I just have to find tires.

Henry didn't have the replacement leather covers for my seats, so I just covered them with the standard Mustang kit. They look great and I can drive the car. I'm working on getting a custom set made on SVO seats.

I had to replace my exhaust, so I went with a new cat-back system with the larger GT tail pipes. They look great and look like they should be on the car.

I added some essentials--front and rear shocktower braces and subframe connectors. I see them as only an improvement and should not effect the originality of the car. I think they only make the car more attractive to buyers and they make the car more enjoyable to drive.

I had to replace a lot of stuff in the engine bay, I tried to keep everything stock or stock looking, but I couldn't put a stock radiator back in the car. I went with an aluminum one and havent had an over heating issue since. I did get one the same size and look as the factory radiator, I just should have painted it black while I had it out of the car..

Your car looks pretty good on the outside! they only thing you might want to add to complete the look would be the rear taillight lenses (only since you have the front ones).

Other than that, modifying the original engine wouldn't hurt the value at all. using aftermarket parts won't hurt at all, either on any standard Mustang/Capri parts.

The ASC specific parts, however, you really need to use stock parts.

Now, however much you decide to replace or repair, that depends on when you would go underwater on the car. I'm WAAAAAY underwater on mine, but I plan on hanging on to it. Ask me next month and I may have a different answer, but I don't have a leaving-the-country deadline hanging over my head.

Also, you would probably spend as much or more on a Mustang or Capri and you wouldn't have a unique car like a Mclaren...
67 Mustang GTA Convt
7ftbill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan, I appreciate the input on your car and what you've done to it.

I think I've made my decision, more based off of other "classic style" cars - for example, if you see a sweet looking 69 Camaro or stang, I don't think you scrutinize it and say geez they didn't use the factory seats or rims or something, you appreciate that the car looks great and that it is a piece of history still on the road (or at least that is my view, haha)

I'll try to keep thing stock as possible and of course retain the ASC style to the car, but I will eventually make some upgrades on the engine and drivetrain.
I planned to keep the door panels just in case someone wanted them if I sold her.

I finally got out to drive her today, really the second time since I picked it up and I really do love the car. I can't wait to move forward and start getting it back together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: