ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mercedes hard top on ASC Roadster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Mercedes hard top on ASC Roadster Reply with quote

So, I have a friend who went through a bad breakup and her ex left his hardtop from his Mercedes in her garage. I was curious if it would fit my 86 roadster...and good golly, it is SO close! The headliner even matched my interior!!

I'll get some pics when I can get it back on the car. It has several connector pins that are in the wrong place and I don't want to set them on my paint.

I don't know what year the car was, I'm thinking it was a 96-02 SL500. The only reason I'm moving forward on this is that the top was free..

It would only take a little work on the front where it connects to the windshield. Otherwise, I would have to work in the front and rear bows. so I could incorporate the #5 bow screw and the header clamps.

This brings a problem to light--on my 86, I have the hook instead of a bow screw. The 87-90 tonneau draw down system would work much better because you shut the tonneau then the top screws into the tonneau plate.

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert to the other system? Really, this is the only thing that would hold me back..
67 Mustang GTA Convt
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure you're in uncharted territory Smile

Good luck!

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
birdiestobehad

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting. I think you may run into issues with the windows fitting/sealing properly to the top?
1986 'vert #118
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eyeballed the line of the windows, they might be a little off, but I couldn't get the top all the way down to the level where it would sit on the car.

I didn't have the windows up, so I didn't get a clear picture of the fit. I have removed the clamp-down pins, but i can't get the centering pins off of the top. Those pins, however, fit into one of the slots in the front of the tonneau!

Plus, this thing is heavy. It takes two people to set it down. I can't get someone to help me...
67 Mustang GTA Convt
7ftbill

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I was just talking to a fox restro guy yesterday and he was telling me about how the Mercedes SL was the reason for the design of these cars. Then I read more about it online. Pretty interesting.

This guy said that the convertible top for the SL would fit too, but I'm not sure if that is practical experience or theory.
ToddMi

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7ftbillr wrote:
Funny, I was just getting my hands on these fantastic weight loss pills and talking to a fox restro guy yesterday and he was telling me about how the Mercedes SL was the reason for the design of these cars. Then I read more about it online. Pretty interesting.

This guy said that the convertible top for the SL would fit too, but I'm not sure if that is practical experience or theory.

It almost seems like it could work lol. What a crazy idea though. I'd love to see someone attempt this and succeed.

Last edited by ToddMi on Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:49 am; edited 4 times in total
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely the inspiration but the Mercedes top was never meant to fit the asc.

However, anything is doable with enough duck tape and a saw... Smile

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
MN Legacy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really curious to see if you can make this work. Good luck, and post some pics!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: