ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interior colors - not matching?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7ftbill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Interior colors - not matching? Reply with quote

Hey guys,
For my 86 Capri vert with the sand beige interior, I have been trying to poke around for the correct interior color.
After researching and talking with a few ppl I found that SEM code 4133 is the correct color for the interior of the vehicle. However that paint code (which is a custom mix color) does not match my dash or my dash pad.
I posted on the FB group (which is not the same moderator as here I guess) my question/statement and it appears that there could be the possibility of a different "type" of paint used on the dash and pad vs the plastics of the vehicle.

That being said, in particular of the sand beige if someone has one, is your vehicles dash (and pad) a different color than your interior panels?

What I've been doing is testing the back of a kick panel with different shades and comparing them to the BOTTOM of the dash (under the steering wheel panels for example) to avoid any sun faded comparisons. The outcomes have been vastly different, the true interior color is almost tannish and the dash has a yellowish tint.

Any replies are welcome, thanks for the help!
Bill
4-barrel Mike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill: are you on [url]foureyedpride.com[/url]? TONS of expertise there.

Looks like the site software is acting up tonight. Sad

Mike
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone thru the same problem with my 86 tan int. car and ended up having the paint shop mix up a small batch for me. Sorry none left and no formula.

The pad and dash are slightly different from each other. I used the bottom of the pad to match the color
7ftbill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4-barrel Mike wrote:
Bill: are you on [url]foureyedpride.com[/url]? TONS of expertise there.

Looks like the site software is acting up tonight. Sad

Mike

yeah, good idea Mike, I will throw something up there tonight or tomorrow.

I have a feeling most ppl's dash is different than their panels
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interior paint is a pain.

Best is to find a shop who can mix spray cans of paint from the back of a plastic part.

Then you really need to repaint most things with it, as it might be really close...but it's still going to be off just a tad. So I'd at least paint the dash hull and the pad to get a consistent look. Probably do all the A-Pillars too.

Door panels aren't going to match perfectly (never did) but they have a visual seam around them which helps make them not look out of place.

Depends on how much you want to spend, but places will custom mix paint from parts you send them.

Maybe a place like this?:

https://www.johnsonautobodysupply.com/custom-paint.html

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
7ftbill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
Interior paint is a pain.

Best is to find a shop who can mix spray cans of paint from the back of a plastic part.

Then you really need to repaint most things with it, as it might be really close...but it's still going to be off just a tad. So I'd at least paint the dash hull and the pad to get a consistent look. Probably do all the A-Pillars too.

Door panels aren't going to match perfectly (never did) but they have a visual seam around them which helps make them not look out of place.

Depends on how much you want to spend, but places will custom mix paint from parts you send them.

Maybe a place like this?:

https://www.johnsonautobodysupply.com/custom-paint.html

-Mike

I guess I am pretty lucky that the place down the street from me is a SEM dealer, can match and make custom paint AND fill aerosol cans.

I agree though, I think I am just going to have to make a decision on a color and go with it. If I decide to do the heater core (which is bad) I will probably paint the dash hull too - I was thinking about just dropping it instead of completely removing it, but we'll see...
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can do the hull without removing it.

Get a TON of paper rolls and tape and cover EVERYTHING you don't want painted. I use a 6 foot rule. Anything 6 feet away must be covered to protect from overspray (use sheets). It can take like an hour but better than yanking the whole dash. (removing bezels, etc isn't too hard).

If the SEM dealer is any good, they should be able to match the color nearly perfectly. Get 1 can made and test on the back of a kick panel or something.

The trick to painting plastic is to clean it off with soap so you get the top layer of oils off. If you don't your adhesion layer will be iffy. Hit it with adhesion promoter and then the paint. SEM paint sticks super well...so maybe adhesion promoter might not be needed.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: