ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Almost done, then BOOM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Almost done, then BOOM Reply with quote

so i finally got the engine back in the Capri. I started by pulling the motor to rebuild it because it was leaking oil like crazy, mostly because all the gaskets dried up from being out west I think. When I tore it apart I discovered it did NOT have the B303 cam and I though heck, lets hop this thing up a little bit. I put ported E7 heads and an explorer GT40 intake and 65mm throttle body and did a mass air conversion, and it ran great. For a bit. Turns out the upper intake had a bolt of some kind lose in it (I pulled it from a junkyard, along with the lower block because the 86 has flat top pistons) and after a few hours of running the bolt came free from whatever it was attached to and ran through the engine. It tore up the intake valve seal, bent the valve, then embedded in the piston and the head, and bent the rod, maybe. I know the piston is about a 16th of an inch higher on the front side, so maybe it just bent the wrist pin. The engine was running about 2k RPM at the time so it came up with some force. So, back to the drawing board. I guess the moral of the story is if you buy a junkyard part, make sure, very sure, there are no loose parts in it. I think the bolt was wedged somewhere because the engine ran for a few hours before it broke loose, it wasnt till I drove it that it happened.
1986 ascMclaren Coupe #105

Initial success or total failure - AF EOD
dime_store_pony wrote:
granddaddy said "son, clowns wear bowties and if'n i ever catch ya in one
i'll take a picture and show all the girls"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUch! That sucks!! Feel for you man...
67 Mustang GTA Convt
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang. I feel for you. My car has been sitting for years now. Going through life issues...but I want to get her back on the road but she needs a rebuild due to no oil pressure and gas in the oil ARGH!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: