ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hella Lamp Model number?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try to upload here:

http://www.ascmclaren.org/phpBB/album_upload.php?cat_id=15

I will check to see if it is working when I go home tonight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dredge up an old post, but I am about to install the ground effects kit and I have a set of Hellas that I got from Hank. They look exactly like the Mike's pic.

I'm concerned about mounting them--they are only held on with two small screws? It looks like the screws are screwed in from the back of the air dam and into the housing?

What are the two small holes in the corner of the cover piece for? Surely you don't run screw through those to attach the light to the air dam??

My housings have the post? extended for the screws, so I'm thinking I will have to cut them down to get the housing to sit flat against the air dam.
67 Mustang GTA Convt
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just something I came across...

I was going to use these to mount my fog lights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ut_oAB34s

They are expansion nuts, you can buy then at Lowes. I was going to drill a hole in the air dam the same diameter, pop these through either from the front or back and then use a bolt to tighten them down. (got to practice on a piece of wood first before drilling a bunch of holes in my air dam.

A little more info on these lights...If you have plastic "posts" on the back that are in the way (on the top of the back of the light)... you actually have the "wrong" lights (the box I am looking with the "wrong" lights is marked 73098).

Now...who really cares, because the only difference between those and the "right" lights are those posts and a slightly more curved top and bottom profile. Your lights probably scrape the inside of the fog light recess in your air dam a little (they do mine).

The install kits that come in these boxes show a self tapping sheet metal screw going into that post. It goes in from the back pulling the post up against the bumper (we're talking a BMW here). The bottom ones have a different mounting system with a plastic body insert and another screw...it's more free floating for adjustment I think.

On our cars, the air dam pretty much appears to be made so a light without the posts sits flush...no adjustment allowed. So in that case...I would trim the plastic post to be flush to the rest of the light's frame. Then drill a hold smaller than the post but big enough for a self tapping screw to come in from the back and tap into the remainder of the post. For the bottom...that's where I was going to try and be creative with the expansion nuts and just tighten them down enough to squish the rubber and hold the bottom in place.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-BMW-Hella-fog-lights-301-126259-00-from-1986-E24-635csi-Euro-car/163476469998?hash=item260ff4f8ee:g:kYsAAOSwws5cNPUq:rk:58:pf:0

This guy's ebay auction has Hella frames that I think are correct for our cars. No rear plastic posts. If you scroll down to where he has all his pictures, he also shows the bolts and plastic body mount inserts...there are also plastic inserts to go into the Hella frame to accept the bolt

I'm not sure if asc used those or not as I've not seen an original installation.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another number on the box "1NB 004 450 801"...I don't think I have a box with the "correct" lights in it.

Looks like this number shows some lights out there.

-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: