ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deluxe Door Panel questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Deluxe Door Panel questions Reply with quote

So I just snagged some deluxe door panels from that car on eBay and I'm going to get them reupholstered in grey. Henry said that ASC didn't produce any cars with grey deluxe door panels?

I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate some help..

There is a place for a speaker--did they come with speakers in the doors? the car had the Ricaro seats and I can see that it had speakers in the back above the storage bins. How were all those speakers wired? Did they also use the ones in the dash?

How are the door pull ropes attached to the door? Are the covers always black? I can't tell if these are black or dark blue.

The arm rests look like they had small clips on the edges and flat head screws that screwed through the door panel. Doesn't seem like a sturdy connection. I did get all the screws and clips. Most of the clips look like they were just attached to the vinyl, so that makes it even more wonky.

There are screws in the pocket corners that screw into the door--were they added by the previous owner, or were they factory? Did the factory add any other screws to screw the panels to the door?
67 Mustang GTA Convt
KHummel66

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were 17 possibly produced with gray deluxe door panels - the silver Spring Specials. The thread with the 1986 color breakout states the interiors were black, but mine is based on the standard gray. I don't know if all 17 were made with the deluxe interior, but I know for sure one was.

Yes there were speakers in the doors and vouch that the mesh screens are black in the tan, blue, and gray interiors.

I've not taken any deluxe door panels off yet, however, I don't see any screws around the perimeter of the panel.

Keith
1986 ASC vert - #86-0001
1986 ASC vert - 3.8SC v6
1986 ASC vert - Silver/Black/Gray
1985 ASC vert - Black/Tan/Tan
1985 GPIV - The Official Pace Car
1985 ASC coupe - modified
1985 ASC coupe - roller
1983 Crimson Cat V6
1966 Cobra replica
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

I thought the Spring Specials had the standard interior, like mine. I recall reading somewhere that they were 'Special' because they were the base models and didn't have the deluxe interior. Maybe Henry said that he didn't have any and I heard that they didn't make any?

I have my car in storage and I need to get it out to take the door panels off. I can't see how the pull ropes work..
67 Mustang GTA Convt
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answered my question about how the arm rests attach to the panels.

I have a friend who owns an upholstery shop, so I have a good resource but she has drilled it into my head that I can't take things apart before I bring them to her. So, I was resistant to take the vinyl off the arm rests. I did pull some off and saw that the plastic was broken off and the clips were still attached to the crumbled pieces of plastic, That's why they looked like they were just attached to the vinyl.

I'm going to repair them, then bring them to her.

At least, that is one mystery solved.
67 Mustang GTA Convt
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have pictures of how the pull ropes attach to the doors? I think they go under the brace??
67 Mustang GTA Convt
svo413

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Pulls Reply with quote

The pull ropes are attached to the door with a plate or metal strap screwed into the innier door frame.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks--Is it a special bracket? Henry gave me the impression that they used the bracket (or brace?) that was already on the door?
67 Mustang GTA Convt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: