ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1986 Silver Roadster - Norfolk VA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Builds/Projects/Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: 1986 Silver Roadster - Norfolk VA Reply with quote

I bought the car on eBay for about $3400 in 2017. I don't actually recall bidding on the car (another case of drinking and bidding!) but I got the text when I won it and thought it was a good deal. It was donated to a charity, so I couldn't get any history on it besides that it was a California car. It had a little over 108,000 miles showing.

The car had standard grey leather interior, standard door panels and was automatic. the only ASC factory option was the radar detector. The radio had been replaced, but it still had the factory Kenwood rear speakers.

The car was practially stock except for the radio and tires!

I had it shipped to Norfolk, VA using uShip for about $1000.

I was pleasantly surprised about the condition of the underside but it was pretty rough all around. The seats were ripped, the dash pad was cracked and the carpet was atrocious. The door panels, dash hull and rear bins were good, though. It had been Ziebarted, so there was NO rust underneith. The only rust was at the inside bottom of the doors and minor rust under the trunk and hood lip. It did have the typical rust around the filler on the rear quarters and some under the mirrors.

I have since pretty much replaced or rebuilt EVERYTHING.

It ran OK, but not great and it rode like a truck. I had a friend who worked in a local shop, so they took it on and pretty much replaced everything in the engine bay while chasing issues. I replaced the heater core myself and had the AC fixed.

I also completely rebuilt the interior! I covered the seats with standard vinyl but I have a set of SVO seats to put in the car. I have an upholsterer friend who can make some factory looking leather covers for them, so I went with the cheap vinyl until I can get her to make the covers.

I removed the workings for the radar detector but kept the box under the dash just for show. They are illegal in VA. I also kept the original wood grain dash pieces but I replaced them with standard Mustang GT grey panels.

While I was working on the interior, I replaced the power window motors and door locks. I ended up replacing the door strikers and hinges, too. I still can't get the windows aligned correctly, but I am working on it.

I had weld-on frame connectors installed and I added the front and rear shock tower braces. I am working on installing the rocker panel braces that attach to the pinch welds. These additions along with new tires, shocks and struts REALLY made a difference in the ride!

the car has been painted, but in stages. I ran over something and dented the front bumper cover and radiator support. When I had that repaired, I had the rear quarters repaired and painted. The body shop went out of business and the new owners agreed to finish what was started, so I had the doors, hood and trunk painted. They repaired the windshield header panel and I added the spoiler. Then, my jerk neighbor side swiped me the day I got it back from the shop! so, that was the entire left side of the car.

I replaced the top, too.

Now, I'm adding the air horns and I picked up an Alpine 7200 that I need to install. I also bought the ground effects kit from Hank and that should get installed winter of 2019. The repro parts are very nice, but they do require some body work to get them to fit.
67 Mustang GTA Convt
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Mustang GTA Convt
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Applying for Special vehicle at Carlisle 2020 Reply with quote

[/url]
67 Mustang GTA Convt
86capri62

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the color. Nice job! Congrats!
77 Ferrari 308 GTB(sold)
90 Ferrari Testarossa(yellow)(sold)
2007 Corvette convertible supercharged(sold)
2005 MB SLK 350
2008 Rotorway helicopter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Builds/Projects/Restoration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: