ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why aren’t ASC McLarens rising in value like other Foxbodi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sydewaysix

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Why aren’t ASC McLarens rising in value like other Foxbodi Reply with quote

I’m a proud new owner of an 88 ASC McLaren and I’m wondering why the prices on these rare gems aren’t sky rocketing like other run-of-the-mill Foxbody mustangs? Considering how limited these are, I would have assumed theirs value would increase higher and quicker than any ordinary Foxbody. Anyone have any insight why? Is it because they’re 2-seaters? Maybe people hate the body kits?
knsstang

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered the same thing. The coupes are sought after before the hatch back which comes before the convertible. Maybe people don't like convertibles.. LoL. I don't think its the "kit" because it's basically similar to a mustang Cobra. I've asked that same question in the McLaren Facebook group.
1989 Royal Gold Metallic #095 (225Hp)
2016 Kawasaki ZX14R (199.9Hp) (26,200 miles)
2013 Kia Optima (275Hp)
2012 GMC Yukon Denali (403Hp)
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great mystery.

A bunch of things.

The cars added no performance. No performance = no hype, no enthusiasm. As such, even though they outsold the Saleen cars, they are hardly known in comparison. also see the Grand Nationals, made by ASC and also way more known.

They are viewed sideways as being just some kit cars that another company made. We all know that they had the full backing of Ford with assembly line codes for special builds, etc...but no one else does.

Additionally because asc cars are "freaks", buying a regular Foxbody car is a "safer" deal. No special parts. People know what they are getting.

It just all kinds of adds up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
ChuckG

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the case of the Mercury cars, that's just the the function of being a Merc.

I saw a factory-equipped 427 side-oiler '67 Cougar sell last year at auction for $50k. If it had been a Mustang? More than double that.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's what's sad about Mercs. They are all WAY more rarer than their Ford counterpoints.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
capri50asc

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: The value of our cars The Mercury Story Reply with quote

Our cars will find there way in time, I feel its starting now with my 1986 ASC Convertible and my 1986 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 liter 5 speed. They are receiving more attention then the Mustang counterparts at car shows then ever. The key thing to remember is "limited production" we have that and the cars will increasing in time. My regrets are my father owned a car dealership from 1972 to 2005 I was 15 years when he opened it and saw it all! Shelby's, GTO's Mach 1, Cougars, Thunderbird's, Chevelles, Etc, Etc

One story I will always remember in 1976 My father said " If you want to buy the 1972 Mercury Montego GT, just give me $800.00 for it!" Well it was the summer of 1976 and I garbed the keys from him and drove it next door to a Mobil station to put gas in it, I only made about $30.00 bucks a week , so I put $5.00 in the Montego GT (it was Red with a White Interior) the gas was .55 cents a gallon , so $5.00 gave me a 3/4 of a tank. I started heading home on Michigan Ave in Wayne Michigan to 1/275 and opened the car up heading north to Livonia Michigan Its a ride I will never forget !!! The power of this Montego was incredible. When I floored the Montego , The front end went up! The sound from under hood was
a sound I will never forget. I got the car home and opened the hood , it was a 351CJ with ram air !!! Only about 10 made ( I found this out 5 years ago) The car was only worth that at the time about $800 dollars
Plus when I got home the gas was gone,,,,,,,On my pay check I could not afford to drive this Mercury ,, Long Story.................My dad put the car on the lot and sold it! The guy who purchased it , found out how bad the gas mileage was, So he tryed to wire the secondaries shut on the Motorcraft 4300 4 barrel shut. In turn his wife toke the car out and the gas pedal got stuck to the floor.............and wrapped it around a tree! So that car is worth about $30,000 now . I wish I had purchased and still had it!

Again our cars will follow it takes time..............My Dad called them Sleepers.........

Chris PS I have Pictures of it and the engine!

86 ASC Vert #0082
86 Capri RS 5.0 Liter 5 Speed
73 Mercury Cougar
2014 Honda Ridgeline RTL
2018 Honda HR-V Sport

And Bless the other 40 cars I owned !!
ChuckG

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget the excellent records some models have that we don't and things like SAAC that documents every Shelby car, promotes the marque, holds conventions, etc. This enhances value. Rarity isn't enough.

Surely, ASC/McLarens will increase in value as years go on, but there are barriers, not the least of which is lack of publicity. We all can help by writing publications--online and print, that we want to see more of them.
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love a ASC Conv. But need a back seat so its a killer for me.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumkrazy wrote:

That too.
knsstang

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumkrazy wrote:

If you take out the storage trays..the lap belt bolts holes are there. Attach seatbelts and add seat cushions. It'll work in a pinch.
1989 Royal Gold Metallic #095 (225Hp)
2016 Kawasaki ZX14R (199.9Hp) (26,200 miles)
2013 Kia Optima (275Hp)
2012 GMC Yukon Denali (403Hp)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: