ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1989 Top Bow won't release

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: 1989 Top Bow won't release Reply with quote

Hi, I'm getting my car ready to sell and now the top bow won't release. The tonneau releases and I hear the bow motor spin, but it seems to not be unscrewing. I can't figure out how to remove this motor as it seems like it is under the tonneau and not in the trunk as I read elsewhere here. Is there a repair manual anywhere or how do I go about fixing this issue. Did 1989 use the Cadillac trunk motor and if so which years Cadillac. Can I rebuild this motor or is it available anywhere besides ASC? Thanks
birdiestobehad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to the ascmclaren.com web site, there is a section for "Service Manuals". Within that there is a section for "Convertible diagrams" and the first two pages are for operating the top. It does mention that the tonneau cover will not release if the trunk is ajar. There is also a section for the "Tonneau Cover".

I have an '86 and had to climb into the trunk to replace mine with a used one I found on ebay. I know the '87s on have a different motor, but never researched that. When I did mine, I searched this forum to find info for the motor.

Good luck!
1986 'vert #118
Greg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I can reach the tonneau release in the trunk which works. My problem is I can't get the rear bow up to get to the bow release motor under the tonneau. Not accessible from the trunk. Tonneau only goes up a few inches with the bow still attached. It is a type of cork screw as far as I know. Unless I am missing something on the ASC website, it doesn't address my issue. Maybe it is only for pre 1987.
Greg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I can reach the tonneau release in the trunk which works. My problem is I can't get the rear bow up to get to the bow release motor under the tonneau. Not accessible from the trunk. Tonneau only goes up a few inches with the bow still attached. It is a type of cork screw as far as I know. Unless I am missing something on the ASC website, it doesn't address my issue. Maybe it is only for pre 1987.
If no one knows the answer, anyone know whom I could find out from? The ASC site doesn't have the info I need.It assumes the 5th bow will release from tonneau to access the motor.I think the manuals are for the older cars with the Cadilac trunk release style. Doesn't specify.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: