ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restored KRC-2000 radio
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChuckG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Restored KRC-2000 radio Reply with quote

I neglected to post this when I had the radio redone, but I couldn't be happier with the service and price. $88, shipped back to me. Replaced some parts, cleaned and aligned the rest. Works like a champ!

dantheman209@gmail.com

Video of my radio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmZ0wg9ovq0
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I may need this done.

I am going through my parts again. Going to thin things out. I do want to keep some of the Kenwood radios I have. I know I have 1 new one but I want to keep it as a backup. I have a few decent used ones though. I'll probably send one off and liquidate the others.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your car had the KRC-2000 and not the 2001?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
ChuckG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my current '85 Coupe had the KRC-2000. I can't recall what my purchased-new '85 had. I think it was a KRC-2000--but it could have been the 2001.
ChuckG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how many watts a KRC-2001 "high-power" unit pushed? I know the KRC-2000 only pumped about 5, but wasn't listed as "high power".
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/ascLiterature/ServiceDocs/86Kenwood_AutoAudioSystems_1.jpg
ChuckG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 10W a channel was "high power". Starting to think my original '85 had the 2001 because I didn't have an amp and it was louder than my 2000 was in the current car, before I added a small period Kenwood amp.

Even now, it's not exactly "loud" with the windows down on the highway--but gobs louder than my Premium Sound system in the SVO.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, because of your other thread, I rooted through my items. I have a new Alpine 7263 in the box and 2 new in the box KRC2001s. I have a used 2000A in a bag.

Never got a KRC2000 though.

I bought modern Kenwood speakers and put them in my car. 6" rounds in the back and small ones that barely fit in the dash up front. I fiddled with a period amp but it didn't really do anything noticeable...so I yanked it.

That radio got those speakers super loud, no problem.

The fronts were INSANELY loud. Speaker technology must have come a long ways for small speakers. If I dialed the fade all the way to the back...it was almost normal.

I bought 2 potentiometers, put them in-line with each of the fronts. Put the radio on an even balance/fade setting and dialed the pots in to get the fronts under control. It worked perfectly.

I need to get back to that car and work on it. Still so many things in my way but getting closer.

I should sell that 2000a...i don't think it went into any asc cars.
ChuckG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in that NIB KRC-2001.

I replaced my factory Premium Sound speakers in the SVO with JBLs The fronts were rotted, but still not appreciably louder. Clearer, not much more efficient. Luckily, they all fit under factory grills so no one is the wiser. Moved from dual cone to two-ways makes for better sound, so worth the $150 investment.

I replaced the Coupes fronts with Kicker 3 1/2, standard KFC-6970s in the rear. Think the amp is the KAC-7200. Wish I could fit a 1/2 DIN EQ in like i did on my Alpine system in #23, but this console is a little closer to the dash than that one was. Strange. Have one, but don't have the inch space I need to wedge it in.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do come up new on ebay.

There was a new one back in August.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kenwood-KRC-2001-Digital-Cassette-Player-Car-Stereo-w-Box-Manual/114362801217?hash=item1aa08ddc41:g:fdQAAOSwq7pfO3xF

I paid more than that for the ones I have I am sure. Gonna hold on to what I have for now.

-Mike
ChuckG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Very fair price.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found another two KRC-2001s.

I benched them and I'll be keeping the one that works.

The other, the lights light but no clock/tuner. So it needs fixing.

You mentioned you might want another one, if any interest let me know.

Otherwise, I think it'll head off to ebay.
ChuckG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for remembering, but I decided to use an Alpine 7272 I just bought.

Back in '85, I was mad my first Coupe didn't come with the promised Alpine and the only way ASC would replace my Kenwood with the Alpine was if my Kenwood failed--which it did the first time I played a screwdriver ;-p

Now the car will match the literature.

Last edited by ChuckG on Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
ChuckG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: Very pleased with my repair guy. Reasonable, quick. Coupe 91 is getting a 7272 Dan redid, #40 is getting one too, and I'm sending the one I just bought to him. If needed I can send his contact info.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChuckG wrote:
PS: Very pleased with my repair guy. Reasonable, quick. Coupe 91 is getting a 7272 Dan redid, #40 is getting one too, and I'm sending the one I just bought to him. If needed I can send his contact info.

Yeah, 7272 is should be for 86 coupes. Maybe I will look at getting a circuit diagram for the 2001 radio and seeing what's wrong with it. Probably something small.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: