ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Post - Possible Project Car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhitB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: First Post - Possible Project Car Reply with quote

Hello! This is my first post. I came across a 1988 Mustang ascMcLaren convertible for sale, jet black with grey interior, 84k+ miles, 302 5.0 HO engine, 5 speed manual, for $5000. The car has been in storage since 2008. The left front headlight assembly, fender, and hood are damaged and there is a small dent on the driver's door where it meets the front fender, front bumper has some spider cracks in it too. The owner has the parts to replace headlight, fender and hood. The damage to the original hood isn't that bad and could be fixed. The rest of the body looks really good, just a few minor scratches and minor dings that can be fixed. The interior needs a little work, mainly the seats have a few rips in them. The exterior windshield trim needs to be replaced. The car did get wet, it was partially flooded and everything but the trunk had been cleaned and dried out. No water got into the transmission and the fluids were changed after it being flooded and engine started. The trunk switch does not work so I can't get into the trunk to look at it. Needs a battery tray too. Not really any rust on it, just a little started on the the bottom of the driver door. It has a newer top in great shape and the clutch is fairly new as well. This would be my first car and I would like some opinions if this would be a good project car for the price.

Sorry for the long post!

Thank you!
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say. For $5k I think it's in the ball park. It definitely sounds like a project.

Luckily these cars didn't have a lot of fancy electronics, so the flood damage should be minimal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
WhitB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. That's the info I was looking for. I am can do most of the repair, swapping the parts, except I haven't done any body filler or
painting. I'll leave that to the pros. I am really thinking of getting this car. If I do, I'll post pics and the car number.

Thank you!
svo413

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Project Reply with quote

It sounds like quite a few problems to start with. The price might be a bit high for what you have to fix. We all know there will be more to add to the list.

I guess what I'm saying is if you fix most of the stuff except for paint, it's not going to be worth a whole lot more right away.

Good luck with the project and et us know if you need help.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
WhitB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I bought the car. It is #858 from 1988. I'll be posting the serial number and pictures. I will need advice on the best way to start refurbishing this car. The previous owner had all the parts to put the body back together. He had the headlight assembly, fender and another hood, but like I said previously, the hood is bent under a bit on the left front and should be able to be fixed. He also had new headlights (both sides) for the car. I have the hubcap centers and the rear ascMcLaren plate as well.

How best to start? I was thinking of changing all fluids and filters to start with, get a battery, syphon old fuel out and see if we can get the car running. I will need to remove an aftermarket alarm system as the previous owner did not have the code.... Should be able to trace the wire and unhook it I would think. Then I would do the body work and paint it. I'll need to get a new windshield trim as part of it is missing.

The interior needs some work. The visors do not stay up, I'll need the interior windshield trim as that is really cracked and the door pull areas are separated from the door panels on both sides as well as the carpet on the door panels and then I will need a door light lens. The seat covers are in rough shape and will probably just put a cover over them for now. A lot of the weather stripping is cracked so that will need to be replaced as well. I am thinking of replacing all the interior fasteners too since they are rusted on the door trim, etc.

Is there a preferred place to get fender bolts and interior screws and other parts? I've looked at Paradise Automotive for some of the parts. Or is it just best to contact Henry there?

Sorry for the long post but I really want to get this car running!

Thank you!
svo413

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: 88 Reply with quote

Henry is a good source for the asc specific parts. Not sure how much of hardware he has for those parts.

Generic mustang parts can be found at Late Model Resto, Fox Mustang Resto or CJ Pony parts. Check stock first. They have a big selection or hardware.

Not sure how long it's been sitting. Gas would be the main concern. I would limit what you are tearing into until you get it running. Drop the gas tank and change the fuel sock.
85 ASC Vert #612205
WhitB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been sitting since 2008. The previous owner had changed the fluids on it several times while it sat. Thanks for the info on the fuel sock. Is there also a fuel filter on the car or is that what the sock is for? Would a Haynes manual or some other manual be a good thing to get for this car?

By the way, I did get the trunk open with a knife poked through the hole above the license plate. Trunk was in good shape. One thing I noticed is that there is a plunger style switch that sits up against the underside of the trunk lid. What is this for? There are a couple of wires that are disconnected from it. Is that a fuel reset switch or the trunk lid switch, which by the way doesn't work inside the glove compartment.

Serial number for this car is86-0160.

Thanks again!
svo413

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel filter is up in from of the gas tank above the rear end. Good to change that.

There is usually a screen/filter or sock of sorts at the fuel pick up. Not sure what the 86 looks like It's good to change it now and not when you have a full tank.

There are some electrical interlock switches to prevent the trunk and tonneau cover from opening at the same time as it will hit and chip the paint. On the drivers side trunk hinge is the tonneau interlock. I forget where the trunk one is on the tonneau. The power trunk release is in the glove box. The cable override is in the rear storage box. You can manually open both at the same time but put a block at the trunk corner.

The EFI cars do have a fuel pump reset switch. Usually located by the tail lights unless asc relocated it.
85 ASC Vert #612205
WhitB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have a few questions about the car and fluids. There is a "smaller" radiator/cooler in front of the main radiator. Would this be something for the A/C, an engine oil cooler or a transmission cooler? The car is a 5.0 HO, 5 speed manual..... Any good way to identify which rear differential I have? I took a picture of it but can't post it. It is a little more square looking so would that be the 8.8" differential? And speaking of that, if it is the 8.8", do I need to have an additive in the rear diff fluid? What are people using for the tranny fluid? Mercon ATF or Redline or something else? What are people using for engine oil? I prefer Castrol. Any other recommendations for fluids? I am planning on starting fluid changes this weekend so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have the 8.8. I believe 85 was the last year for the smaller diff for the 5.0. By 1985, the 225 hp tended to chew up the rears so they went bigger in 86.

That radiator thing is for the AC.

The 5.0 works fine an any oil really. I use Castrol 10w30 or 10w40 myself.

Not sure on automatic transmissions...I don't have that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
svo413

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Fluids Reply with quote

Be sure to use type F trans fluid and not the newer replacements.
Edit: This was for auto trans.
Manual trans could be different. They transitioned after 84. Check the transmission housing for WC cast into it. WC=world class(better bearings). They also use Type F in the WC. Before that it gets hazy.

Regardless of the differential, they both use the friction modifier. Some aftermarket oils may include it.
85 ASC Vert #612205

Last edited by svo413 on Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
WhitB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks negusm! I believe I have the T5 manual transmission, but how do I know for sure?. What are you using for fluid in yours? What are recommended or preferred spark plugs brand for the 302? Platinum, Iridium or just basic plugs?
WhitB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks svo413! I think I'll start a post in the Build/Projects/Restoration forum or can this discussion be moved to it? I need to get some pictures posted soon, just need to figure out how.

Thanks for the information so far everyone!
capri50asc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Correct Transmission Fliuds Reply with quote

The follow information is for Ford Auto Transmissions and Manual T-5 :

Ford Transmission Auto:

C-4 Auto Dexron II Upgraded to Dex/Mercon (Both additive in one)
C-5 Auto Motorcraft Type H
C-6 Auto Dexron II Upgraded to Dex/Mercon (both additive in one)
FMX Auto Type F (Used in FMX only because of bronze internal parts)
AOD Auto Dexon II Upgraded to Dex/Mercon (both additive in one)

T-5 Manual Dexron II Upgraded to Dex/Mercon This is a Automatic Trans

Fluid NOTE The T-5 has Needle bearings and needs the Auto Fluid for correct operation. This information comes from engineers and Valvoline

CG
svo413

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:50 am    Post subject: T5 Reply with quote

The WC T-5 has needle bearings. The change over was around 86. The non WC T5 fluid is questionable. WC is cast into the trans case.
85 ASC Vert #612205
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: