ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1986 #118

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
birdiestobehad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: 1986 #118 Reply with quote

Today would have been my dad's 94th birthday. A couple of June 15th milestones for 1986 #118.

Probably close to the date 37 years ago that he bought #118 red convertible with the full package at Hines Ford in Michigan (conversion date was May 1986).

12 years since purchasing car from him on June 18, 2011. On my annual trip to my parents to celebrate my dad's birthday, we were fixing things around the house to make it more accessible for him since he lost his lower leg to diabetes issues. He hadn't driven the car in a few years and had been wanting to sell it to me for a couple of years, but I was financially strapped at the time from the whole 2008 debacle. The whole week I was in town, I was struggling to come up with a fair price that I could afford and he kept putting it off saying we had time to figure that out. Well, at the end of the week we were sitting in the bank parking lot to transfer the title and I started to bring up the price again and he just put up his hand, stopping me cold, and said there would be no further discussion, that he and my mom had already decided a a fair price and there would be no arguing about it. Before I could say anything else, he said the price was a dollar! I started to protest and he just said "end of discussion". After a minute I pulled my wallet out and not surprisingly, it was empty, but then I found four quarters in my console and made it official.

He passed in 2015, but in the fall of 2012 I was able make a road trip from NC to Pa and take him for a few last rides. The smile on his face will never be forgotten.

Every day I drive the car, I think of him. Especially today.

Happy Birthday dad!
1986 'vert #118
fascat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for your loss. Happy Birthday to your Dad! I'm sure he is smiling down on you and enjoying every ride with you.
ChuckG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder: was that the same red Vert on the showroom floor when I bought my Coupe at Hines Park in July....
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I see you drive around Charlotte every so often. Glad to see you out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
birdiestobehad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's would be me. We ran into each other a few years ago when you saw me on I485 and we talked at the south Charlotte Fresh Market for awhile. Haven't had the car out much the last few weeks with all the rain.

I keep wondering if I'll ever see your coupe driving around!

Terry
1986 'vert #118
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdiestobehad wrote:
That's would be me. We ran into each other a few years ago when you saw me on I485 and we talked at the south Charlotte Fresh Market for awhile. Haven't had the car out much the last few weeks with all the rain.

I keep wondering if I'll ever see your coupe driving around!

Terry

Cool. I had an addition built to my house so I can start working on my car again. Finally have kids in College and I think I have time to get the Coupe back on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: