ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

camshaft
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive a stock 5.0L 84-86 5-Speed and then tell me what you think...

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, unfortunately I don't have access to one...

If I ever get a chance to compare I will. Mine is fairly sloppy and seems very tall. It would be weird if somebody had replaced the short throw shifter with a stock unit. Usually they go the other way...

But with everything that's been done to my car, who knows at this point Rolling Eyes

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a dummy I went and looked at Sandy's car to see what length shifter he has since I KNOW it would be stock. Yep, his is stock allright! Very Happy

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
n20capri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
Did they?

My shifter seems stock.

-Mike

Mine was the stock banana shifter...lol...
86 AscMcLaren Capri Coupe - #026 | 11.4@118 | 290/322
86 9L SVO
www.mikemartinelli.com
www.baldguydesigns.net

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
Like a dummy I went and looked at Sandy's car to see what length shifter he has since I KNOW it would be stock. Yep, his is stock allright! Very Happy

-Mike

You were here? No Ringo the doorbell ?? Crying or Very sad

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
negusm wrote:

-Mike

You were here? No Ringo the doorbell ?? Crying or Very sad

I went and looked at the pretty pictures of your car and saw a spiffy automatic shifter!

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know (knew) what 'ya meant! She **IS** Spiffy, she's leather wrapped with contrasting color stitchery! Wink Whaaa more ya want?

D
O
N'
T

G
O

T
H
E
R
E

Tom S.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
Did they?

My shifter seems stock.

-Mike

Mine was stock Ford also.

'85 ASC Coupe #607910--sold and crushed RIP Crying or Very sad
'95 SVT Cobra--sold
'89 Oregon State Police SSP Mustang--sold
'86 LX 5.0 Coupe--sold
mandra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more input on the cam issue.

Of my 2 85 5-speeds the coupe had the "B" cam and the vert does not. Very noticeable difference in driving the cars. Both cars came with the same shifter. The coupe also came with the 140MPH speedo while the vert didn't. Seems that the coupe came with all the extras and the vert just got the 5-speed/Carb combo.
Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an advertisment for the cars that appeared in Automotive News the industry trade paper among other publications in which the top picture is the Muscat Red ascMcLaren 5.0SC 2-Seat Roadster, and above the picture, in large letters it ploclaims "BEAUTY" and you have to turn the page upside down, and on the bottom half is the Midnight Blue Coupe, and above THAT it proclaims AN THE BEAST !

None of the 'Verts (1984-1986) had the B-303 Cam, nor the 140 M.P.H. Speedo, nor the Close Ratio Shift Linkage. They were the Boulvard cruisers while the Coupes were the power-house.

85McLaren

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,
Tell me more about the where-abouts of the article. I would like to get a copy of that if I can. Very interesting to me since I own an 85 blue coupe and an 88 sterling silver mClaren as well.

(By the way, my father went to a car show in Richmond this weekend, and believe it or not, there was actually a mClaren Conv there. I think it was white with a blue top. I actually stopped going to this show some years ago becuase there was NO mclarens there. Judges use to tell me they haven't seen one in 10 years, and I always won first place when they grouped me with the specialty ones - like roushs, etc.) Kind of felt bad. I think they gave me first since mine was the rarest. Anyway stopped going years ago until I could get more competition. MAYBE NEXT YEAR Twisted Evil )

(The B-CAM may be a pain at lower RPM's, but when she wakes up, it's like a LION)

Thanks,
Jason
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
There is an advertisment for the cars that appeared in Automotive News the industry trade paper among other publications in which the top picture is the Muscat Red ascMcLaren 5.0SC 2-Seat Roadster, and above the picture, in large letters it ploclaims "BEAUTY" and you have to turn the page upside down, and on the bottom half is the Midnight Blue Coupe, and above THAT it proclaims AN THE BEAST !

Yeah, I don't have that one! Do you know which year? 1985 or 1986 or 1984?

-Mike
85McLaren

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sandy when i tore apart my motor i was looking for thoughs proto type valves and springs but i dont think i had them i know i have the B cam as my car sucks driving it cold im not to sure what the headders should have looked like but i thought mine were factory and my rocker arms seemd to have been factory. my car already had a new exhaust when i got it but thats gone now too
like you said you didnt want to type this out cuz some one was going to say its not true... well for my car it seems as thoug i only got the B cam

also what did they do to the shifter i always thought my car had a really short throw

I know what you mean. Seems some of these cars were different. My 85, for instance, got the 2.73's instead of the 3.08s, but did get the B-Cam. I ran into someone several years ago at a national show that had an 85 mclaren coupe. At that time, I only had my 88 mclaren (didn't have the 85 yet). His car was even more strange. Everything on his appeared to match correctly EXCEPT ---- he didn't get the B-cam. I checked his inside door sticker. I thought the DSO code should show 32, however his showed 33 (whatever that is). But everything else matched (grey piping seats, radio, speakers in back, etc). I would like to see if the DSO code 33 is a regular code or if it was some other special code. Maybe they received a capri by accident that hadn't gone through the DSO 32. Any clue on this one Sandy ?

When I altered my 85 a little, I put true duals on it and aftermarket headers. I also noticed mine didn't appear to have any springs different that my other 5.0s, but who knows.......

Jason
Tom S.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85McLaren wrote:
Quote:
sandy when i tore apart my motor i was looking for thoughs proto type valves and springs but i dont think i had them i know i have the B cam as my car sucks driving it cold im not to sure what the headders should have looked like but i thought mine were factory and my rocker arms seemd to have been factory. my car already had a new exhaust when i got it but thats gone now too
like you said you didnt want to type this out cuz some one was going to say its not true... well for my car it seems as thoug i only got the B cam

also what did they do to the shifter i always thought my car had a really short throw

I know what you mean. Seems some of these cars were different. My 85, for instance, got the 2.73's instead of the 3.08s, but did get the B-Cam. I ran into someone several years ago at a national show that had an 85 mclaren coupe. At that time, I only had my 88 mclaren (didn't have the 85 yet). His car was even more strange. Everything on his appeared to match correctly EXCEPT ---- he didn't get the B-cam. I checked his inside door sticker. I thought the DSO code should show 32, however his showed 33 (whatever that is). But everything else matched (grey piping seats, radio, speakers in back, etc). I would like to see if the DSO code 33 is a regular code or if it was some other special code. Maybe they received a capri by accident that hadn't gone through the DSO 32. Any clue on this one Sandy ?

When I altered my 85 a little, I put true duals on it and aftermarket headers. I also noticed mine didn't appear to have any springs different that my other 5.0s, but who knows.......

Jason

The DSO on the VC tag on the door is NOT the same as the code these cars were built with. The door tag only shows the District Sales Office and the next 4 digits would show that a car is a special order. Since there is no 33 I'm not sure where this car would have been destined.

'85 ASC Coupe #607910--sold and crushed RIP Crying or Very sad
'95 SVT Cobra--sold
'89 Oregon State Police SSP Mustang--sold
'86 LX 5.0 Coupe--sold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: