ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McLearon mustang??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom S.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: McLearon mustang?? Reply with quote

http://tcstangs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12197

For your reading displeasure. Rolling Eyes

A note or warning though, in the title for the site it says "We know drama". This is entirely correct and the fighting at that site is unreal so trying to correct these guys will be futile.

'85 ASC Coupe #607910--sold and crushed RIP Crying or Very sad
'95 SVT Cobra--sold
'89 Oregon State Police SSP Mustang--sold
'86 LX 5.0 Coupe--sold
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad you posted a link for those 4th graders to see! They might make poo in der pants !

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
Euro#13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Wow, I wouldn't last 5 posts before I would have to leave a forum like that.

I guess I'm just too old to have to deal with people that post messages like that.

Brent
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh...guess they don't much care for our McLearns.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
85McLaren

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an experience like that about 7 years ago. Was letting a stereo place hook a stereo system in my 88 GT t-top. When we all were talking, I mentioned that I had an 88 mclaren as well. They all freaked out. They wanted to see it. So - about 2 hours later, I brought my mclaren up to their shop with the top down. I walked inside and told them I had it outside. All the shop guys ignored thir customers and ran outside to look at the car. Again, they were all freaked out, but in a different way. They only looked at for about a minute and went back inside.
What I think is this. IT IS THE NAME THAT GETS THEM. Most people don't know you are talking about mustangs/capris when you mention the name McLaren. They are only listening to the name mclaren. They are associating that name with the popular RACE cars that have race motors and ALOT of horsepower to them.

I can't blame certain people for feeling this way if they don't know (remember) what an ASC McLaren is (was). We all respect them as we know how special they are, but others people who don't know are expecting to see an F1 McLaren or something that costs $500,000.Doesn't mean they hate our cars. They are expecting to initially see something that isn't there. Kind of like when I was a kid and the weatherman was calling for a snow storm and I woke up to 3 inches -- AND HAD TO GO TO SCHOOL WITH NO HOMEWORK DONE. Evil or Very Mad

Jason
Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably you hit the nail on the head!

I never mention the car. I have found that with the top DOWN, it attracts very very little attention! It LOOKS like a regular Mustang, with a different spoiler & rims. BUT BUT BUT with the top UP, look out! It's a cloth top, something that looks very different from any other Mustang, and it's got a Mercedes Benz Convertible roof!
"HOW THE H did you get THAT on THERE?" usually follows, then you show them the 2-seater and HOW the top works, and yes....then, then they are blown away. I've found THAT is the best order to go in.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
85McLaren

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also found a lot of people who didn't know a capri was. Most thought I made the car that way and hey thought they were ugly. I prefer to think of them as different.

If any of you remember "back in the day", JBA use to sell a kit they called the "predator" for thousands of dollars. Guess what, it was nothing but bubbled out weld on fender extensions. A damn capri if you ask me. Now, the bubbles (flared out fenders) more pronounced that a regular capri, but never the less, a capri. Kind of in betweer a regular capri and an M81. If people wanted them that bad, they should have never discontinued the capri.

Now don't get me wrong - I love mustang too. I would have to from owning 4 other GTs that I sold and still have 2 capri 5.0s as well as 2 mclarens. I sold all of my stangs because I was getting tired of not being able to customize it without seeing thousands of other cars the same way. Everybody has a cowl hood, saleen spoiler, etc. There was nothing I could do that would set my car off from someone elses. however, They do have one advantage over us:

They have such a HUGE aftermarket following, they can find ANY part BRAND NEW for REALLY Cheap. I, for one cannot find a USED capri GS bumper cover for under $420. So sometime there is an advantage to being Ordinary.

YES, you can make a mclaren capri out of a regular capri without tooooo much money, but I bet no one will attempt to spend the money to make a mustang into a mclaren mustang. And you don't even see that many regular capri 5.0s around anymore. That is one beauty - we don't have to customize our cars. They are ALREADY DONE, however, Just finding parts for capri's (not even mclaren specific) is a killer.

Jason
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85McLaren wrote:
I, for one cannot find a USED capri GS bumper cover for under $420. So sometime there is an advantage to being Ordinary.

$420? Something tells me you haven't looked too hard Very Happy

Did you post over at www.foureyedpride.com ?....people pretty much give away the GS bumper covers.......

...Now if you meant an RS cover with air dam and the like...well that's a different story.

BTW if you finally find a cover and its messed up, you can send it off to www.jjbumpers.com

I PROMISE you, you will get back a BRAND NEW cover.

It is not cheap but I was more than satisfied. The front and rear bumper covers on my car were refurbished by them.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
85McLaren

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,
I wrote them a long time ago about GS bumper covers and they don't have any. I found two places that carry NEW repros on the 84 bumper covers. That doesn't do us any good with 85 and 86's though. Don't anyone throw stones at me and NO I am not going to do this unless LAST resort. A couple of places have made repro 85,86 GT bumper covers. Wonder how that would look on the mclarens. Of course I know you have to buy an 85,86 GT hood. At least it is still four eyed, but you obviously lose the mean looking capri grill.

Are the RS bumper covers different. I just thought the RS valance came off separately. If it does, then why can't you just bolt the lower valance from the ASC on there?

Jason
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

85McLaren wrote:
Yeah,
I wrote them a long time ago about GS bumper covers and they don't have any. I found two places that carry NEW repros on the 84 bumper covers. That doesn't do us any good with 85 and 86's though.

Who carries 79-84 Repro Capri bumper covers? I know they do it for the 84 Mustang.

Quote:
Don't anyone throw stones at me and NO I am not going to do this unless LAST resort. A couple of places have made repro 85,86 GT bumper covers.

WHO? WHERE?!

As far as I know the ONLY ones made are the LX bumper covers. MANY MANY people have been waiting for the 85-86 GT Mustang covers. If you have a source please let us know about it!

Quote:
Wonder how that would look on the mclarens. Of course I know you have to buy an 85,86 GT hood. At least it is still four eyed, but you obviously lose the mean looking capri grill.

I don't think you would have to go that far....go to the forums at www.foureyedpride.com and just ask to buy one....there are people hitting junk yards every week and should be able to find one for you. I know what you mean, they do take some time to locate as I desparately searched for one at one time too. However, the GS covers are NOT desirable and are often just given away. The next time I see one posted, I can let you know....but you really should go ask on that site and offer some $$ for one...you would be surprised at the quick response I think...they are very helpful.

Swapping the front cover to a MUSTANG nose means changing not only the HOOD but the COWL and the lower WINDSHIELD TRIM not to mention light brackets and whatever else. Its going to be MUCH easier to find the right cover.

Quote:
Are the RS bumper covers different. I just thought the RS valance came off separately. If it does, then why can't you just bolt the lower valance from the ASC on there?

Yes, the RS is different. The GS is one piece from top to bottom. The upper portion of the RS may work...I don't know, I have not seen a picture of only the upper portion. If you DO run accross and RS bumper cover (even just the top), I think you could easily trade somebody for the GS cover or sell it for far more than what a GS cover goes for.

If you get a GS cover from somebody at FEP, send it to JJBumpers and it'll come back like new and total price will still be less than a repro Mustang cover.

-Mike
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you contact Hank in Florida? He has ALOT of everything, not just ascMcLaren parts.

-Mike
85McLaren

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I tried him a while back. He can get me a used one, but I question the condition. I can get ahold of a couple of bumoer covers at a couple of local junk yards. I remember DUGAN MUSTANG got in trouble years ago for selling used things that EVERYONE could get out of their own local junkyards for pennies compared to hundreds if not thousands of dollars. I do know that Hank normally sells quality looking stuff. Just trying to find a REALLY good used bumper cover that I can see first. Would like to find a repro New one, but no such luck. That is the problem with having a car that didn't sell to well anyway along with a part that was ONLY made for 2 years (85 and 86). There is no market for ANY company to ever make a repro part for it. I wouldn't car what is cost as long as I could get a NEW one.

Jason
85McLaren

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to look up where I saw it, but try the jjbumpers that you are familiar with. I think I saw the 84 repros and maybe the 85-86 GT repros. Download their catalog. I think I saw it there. There is another place I saw the 84 capri bumper covers also. Just have to look. I didn't pay too much attention to it as it wouldn't match our 85-86 capris. It will work, but the belt strip is ALL wrong. That is what someone replaced on my 85. It is because he/she ALSO found the place that makes repro 84 bumper covers.

Of course then it matches my 88. Remember the 87-90s were ALL screwed up due to Fords GT bumper cover had the wide belt strip compared to the LXs thin belt strip that is on out 87-90 mclarens from the door back.... They should have taken time to redesign the bumper cover to have the thin belt stripe line because it looks like an add-on. If it were thin, it would look like it was made for the car.

Jason
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you are looking for "new" then I think you are wasting your time. They will never be reproduced.

I swear JJ can work miracles with those things. My rear cover was rear ended on the corner. The internal metal support was busted and the moulding was sliced to hell. JJBumpers, welded, straightened and repaired the thing and I DEFY you to find the damage. The best part is it fit on like a glove since it was still original Ford and not a repro and repros are notorious for requiring extra work to make them fit. I douldn't worry too much about the condition. Just get one, it can be repaired.

I really really REALLY doubt you found any repro Capri covers or 85-86 GT covers....they would have surfaced through a variety of channels as ALOT of people have been hounding vendors like 50Resto and the like for them. I think you probably found some reconditioned ones.

At ONE time there were repro 85-86 GT covers listed....but the manufacturer had problems and it got canned. I was not aware that any were actually made. Currently there is a big effort to get another manufacturer to start making them.

-Mike
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, Hank is pretty good about sending pictures if you ask him. At least he has sent me some.

-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: