ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuzzy dash panels and steering wheel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svo413

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Fuzzy dash panels and steering wheel Reply with quote

The 84-86 convertibles used a few parts borrowed from the SVO mustang. Fortunately, there are a few more of those cars around to support some refirbushment business. Currently the steering wheel and horn pads are being redone on an original core. The stick shift knob as well (don't know if the McLarens used it).

There is some discussions going on with the original vendor of the fuzzy dash panels for either new parts or refurbished ones. I will keep you posted if anything comes of it or you can go to svoca.com and check it out. The fuzzy dash panels become more sticky than fuzzy with age.

Kevin
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the dash panels were all woodgrained Question

Edit: I reread your post...I think you were referring more to the steering wheels.

The steering wheels will cross over but the horn pads are stamped with ascMcLaren (or 5.0SC?) instead of SVO.

Hank has both for about the same cost as what the SVO ones will run you. $350 for a newly wrapped wheel and $150 for the pad.

The leather shift knob is much different isn't it? The SVO had a hurst one and the asc looked like this:

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/ascParts/asc_ShiftKnob1.jpg

That is for the coupe, was the vert different? Hank has these also.

I'm not up on the SVO stuff...maybe the shift knob looks about the same.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
svo413

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct about the woodgrain dash panels. Under the woodgrained panels is the fuzzy dash panels. Most people probably would not notice it. I'm not sure, but I thought the woodgrain was optional or maybe not on all trim levels.

I'm guessing Hank's steering wheels are recovered and not new. New ones go for $400-600. I think the recovered SVO steering wheels go for about $299. There is a club discount for members. Membership is I think about $30. Just don't tell them you've got a 5.0 as they don't take it well over there.

As for the shifter, yes the svo uses one branded by Hurst. It is similar to the pictured one but the shift pattern is covered with leather and embossed into the leather.

The guy who handles all the leather stuff is Bob Tweety. I don't think he does the actual work but has the original supplier in Canada do it. I'm sure any similar ASC part could be done by him as well. At least there are some options to consider. Me, I try to go with new NOS when possible.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: