ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decoding an 86 Coupe VIN
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jds3660

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Decoding an 86 Coupe VIN Reply with quote

Can someone (Sandy?) decode the following VIN for me?

1MEBP79M5GF603695
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1MEBP79M5GF603695
1ME = MErcury
B = Active Belts
P = Passenger Car
79 = Capri
M = 5.0V8
5 = Check Digit
G = 1986
F = Dearborn
603695 = Consecutive Unit #
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
jds3660

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: This this a regit ASC??? Reply with quote

Is this a legit ASC? Is there any other info that can be found from the VIN?

Jason
Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

603695 is a real one! A full Packaged 1986 in Raven Black, with Platinum Silver Striping, Decals & Logos and Anthracite rims. Received at asc on Dec. 2 1985 and shipped out on Dec. 26th. Conversion took place on Dec. 12th 1985. (MY BIRTHDAY! Razz

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
jds3660

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Good to know..... Reply with quote

This car is for sale right now, is in excellent shape, and shows only 21k miles.

It has a 140mph speedo-I thought that early 86's got the 85mph speedo, and later cars got the 140mph speedo (maybe I'm confusing this w/ the 85's). Could this speedo be original (i.e., can the mileage be trusted)?

It also does not have an ASC steering wheel-it has been optioned with cruise control. It's hard to tell, but it also looks like it has the original FORD stereo system-not the ASC replacement.
Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has factory Cruise Control, then THAT steering wheel (2-spoke) is correct. All 1986s' had the 140 MPH Speedo. Could be that the Alpine 7272 was stolen out of it, but that's what it got originally.
It's NOT a EuroCoupe, it's a full-packaged unit. What's the dash plaque number. Just pray it's not # 25 !!

jds3660

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Dash plaque # Reply with quote

The plaque # looks to be 31. What's the story on #25?

Also, the car seems a bit pricey at $12k, but I figure it may be worth it-if you figure I buy a $5k or $6k coupe that will possibly need a full resto, I could see having more than $12k invested by the time everything is said and done-and it wouldn't have original paint, etc.

The car seems very complete-it still has the headlight and taillight covers (which seem to get damaged or lost/stolen), floor mats, and is also equipped with a moonroof! A moonroof or T-Tops is a plus as far as I'm concerned (I would prefer the moonroof over the T's because of chassis stiffness, and so that the flush 1/4 windows can be retained).

If I do buy this car, can the car's original paperwork be purchased (build sheets, window sticker, order sheets, etc.)?
EMartin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the one on Hank's site?

Formers-
86 White/Tan/Tan, auto w/Recaros
88 Black/Grey/Black, 5spd w/Recaros
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one on Hanks site has the wrong door panels among other things.

I would check the car over really well.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
jds3660

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Door panels.... Reply with quote

This is the car on Henry Huisman's site. What are the correct door panels for the car? Do you have a photo?
jds3660

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Wrong panels...among other things? Reply with quote

What other items do you see wrong with the car? Sandy has verified that it is a legit ASC/Mclaren. Where is the body buck tag located?
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Convertible Door Panels are wrong. The correct ones you can see on the other Coupes on Hank's site. The carpetting on vert door panels goes up much higher than normal ones.

The radar detector is missing.

I cannot see things like the air horns, rear speaker panels, etc to see what else is amiss. There is no picture of the engine bay either.

However, it looks like a really really nice car...maybe worth 12k...maybe not. Just check it over really well.

-Mike
jds3660

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Radar Detector Reply with quote

Did ALL coupes get the radar detector? I remember reading somewhere that it was optional.

Looks like a factory Ford radio is in there as well.

Its also missing the ASC hood decal-which would make me think it has a repaint, at least on the front end (accident?). If it was damaged and the front was reworked, the rest of the correct parts are there (air dam, grill, fog lamps, etc.). If the front end was reworked, I wonder if the ASC body buck tag is still there..........

Is it possible that a coupe could have been mis-built with the wrong door panels? My dad has a '63 Corvette Split Window and we have run across mis-builds from the factory several times (i.e., 360hp FI cars were only supposed to get a "buzzer tach", but some 340hp carbed cars did too, some '67 small block cars were built w/ 427CI big-block hoods, etc., etc....)
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All coupes got the radar detector I think...Sandy may know better.

The hood decal was not present on 86 coupes. Everybody (including Sandy) added it.

The panels would be tough to screw up...but well...there are screw ups all the time. It would be a factory error.

The fact that the radio is not correct makes me think that somebody hacked the original panels a long time ago for speakers. If you pull those door panels off there are probably some nasty speaker hacks to the door metal.

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I came home and am playing "Catch-Up"
Went & looked at pictures. Everything that the others said on here,
is correct !

1985's had the little silver "mercury" nameplate in the grille and the ascMcLaren decal logo ON the hood. For 1986, they made a little silver emblem that said "ascMcLaren" (as the car in question has) and peeled of the protective tape revealing the sticky strip, and stuck it on top of the mercury emblem.

I always like the hood decal, so I ordered one at the dealer when I bought the car and I put it on.

The door panels themselves are correct, except that the lower part has been re-done. The carpet area only comes up from the bottom about 6" or so, ending certainily well below the power door lock switch.

The radio, as note, is incorrect. However, the floor mats are the 100% original, and irreplacable!!! (take note) !

The Cruise control was availabe, and is probably the rearest item on the car. This because dealers received a note from either Ford or asc (I am not sure) saying to the effect to be sure to tell your customer that **IF** they order cruise, they will NOT be getting the unique ascMcLaren Steering wheel. Since the steering wheel was frequently illustrated, they wanted the buyer to know that the pictured wheel was NOT what the buyer ordering speed control woud get!! (No regrets)...... Therefore, dealers did NOT order these with cruise.

The moonroof is definately aftermarket!!! No Power Moonroof ever was available on any Capri. Only a Pop-Up lift off manual or a T-Roof.

Car loooks very good. I'd say it's definately worth the price of $12,000 !

Last edited by Sandy on Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: