ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Woo Hoo} Stereo Delete Speaker Question Answered !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Woo Hoo} Stereo Delete Speaker Question Answered !! Reply with quote

Very Happy I purchased some new (old) books regarding 1980-1986 Capris and I have found the answer to the Stereo Delete Rear Speaker question ! Very Happy

COPY:
(58V) Radio Flexibility Option ............................................. $ 65.00
(Includes two front speakers installed at factory, quarter trim panel punched for rear speakers, all required wiring, including that required for rear speakers, radio noise suppression equipment, mounting brackets, knobs and speaker wiring adaptors, antenna and antenna base.)

(Available only in combination with (58Y) Am Fm Stereo DELETE
........................................ - $148.00 (cr.)

So.....the washout was a credit of $ 83.00.
Looks like ascMcLaren received the cars ready to receive the Kenwood or Alpine 7272 as apop-in and those Kenwood speakers went over the allready punched quarter trim panels, the antenna went on as well the base, and we had music at Autry Avenue in Livonia !

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I miss this post?

Interesting info. What year (what literature) was this published in? I looked back through the data books for 84 and 85 and didn't see the 58V option.

The only thing I have to make note of is that my car (and Tom Gentry's) appears to have never gotten the standard cut-outs. The speaker holes are way too small. I'm assuming then you could order just the 58Y option then...and a few cars (or the first batch of 85 coupes?) got it.

I'm hoping a 100% original 500Mile 85 Coupe will surface so we can all take a look at these pesky 85 quirks. I know, it's a nice dream Very Happy

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had wondered back at Thanksgiving as to why you were silient regarding my post. I figured you were just very busy cooking that 38 pound bird in the Microwave Laughing

It was on a 1-page sheet of S.O. equipment, all of which you have seen before, nothing else new on it. 58V was mandatory with 58Y, and visa versa !

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I repressed it? Very Happy

I found it when I was searching through postings about radios to add some of your comments here:
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=27

If 58V was manadatory with 58Y then those smaller round speaker holes are even more baffling. I'd almost "concede" that those panels could have been replaced at one time since I have a rear end accident entry in carfax but when Tom sent me those pictures of his car...it solidifies my view that my panels are original after all.

I feel there's something more to this.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand. How are your panels different than other people's ?? I've never had my speaker grills off, so I have no idea what's under there!! Shape of cutout(s) or size thereof....

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
I don't understand. How are your panels different than other people's ?? I've never had my speaker grills off, so I have no idea what's under there!! Shape of cutout(s) or size thereof....

A "normal" speaker cutout for 85-86 is going to be in the shape of a 5x8 (roughly that size) HEXAGON.

Like this (this panel on ebay has a stock rear cutout):

My rear panels have a circular hole:

Note how my hole is so much smaller than the stock one! How could this happen if you couldn't order a car without the rear cutouts? Ford didn't offer ROUND rear speakers!

-Mike
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of Tom's rear speaker....

I have another picture with his cover off the speaker but I think you can tell that it is a round speaker behind the grill.

That grill is exactly the same one used in the 85 verts! Check out the pics of the low mileage vert on ebay:

Tom put forth the idea that asc could very well have used whatever was lying around to put in rear speakers in the coupes. In our case...we think we got the vert rear Kenwood speakers and covers.

Possibly what happened was that Ford started punching out the holes later on and asc switched to the oval speakers. That required the 6x9 grill that you have in your coupe or maybe even some oval grills first....as Hank says that the 85 coupes came with 6x9 kenwood oval grills and the 86s went to the rectangular style like you have.

Well, that's as much as I've pieced together...

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am clueless! My speakers are not like Tom's. They are rectangle, but do say Kenwood.

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
I am clueless!

No, no! That's what my wife says about me!

Interesting stuff. These were definitely hand built cars with their own quirks.

-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: