ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

car dealership tactic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
75coug

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: car dealership tactic Reply with quote

Sandy may appreciate this tactic demonstrated by my local Ford dealer.

I noted an ad in the newspaper touting a 2007 Shelby GT for $5k under sticker. I am mad at my '05 Corvette (long story), and started giving some thought to trading it in for such a relatively bargain-priced Shelby GT.

I contacted the dealer and asked for a copy of the sticker, so that I could confirm the pricing. The MSRP from Ford was $30,790. A little research revealed the cost of the Shelby conversion is $7390, and there is a $1000 gas guzzler tax. The total = $39, 180.

After making the calculation and pointing out the ad, I asked the salesman to confirm that the price would be $34,180. He responded that the sticker was actually $42,180. The extra three grand was a dealer markup that said dealer decided would be part of the sticker price. Give me a break.

Needless to say, I passed on the offer. The two Shelby GTs on this guy's lot have been there for months, and I don't have a problem waiting a few more months to see whether the price drops. And if they don't, maybe I'll just wait to see what people are getting for their Challengers in a year or so . . . .

1989 ascMcLaren convertible - royal gold
1986 ascMcLaren convertible - red
1984 ascMcLaren convertible - white
n20capri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks...I saw one here for 55k though! lol.

That sort of stuff is all over...I saw on TV spot that made me laugh...this is how it read on TV. The announcer said it even faster too lol

Everything $500 under MSRP
manufactures suggested retail profit

We all know what the real MSRP stands for though...

Good luck and post pictures when you finally get one...white or black?
86 AscMcLaren Capri Coupe - #026 | 11.4@118 | 290/322
86 9L SVO
www.mikemartinelli.com
www.baldguydesigns.net

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Album
75coug

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n20capri wrote:
That sucks...I saw one here for 55k though! lol.

That sort of stuff is all over...I saw on TV spot that made me laugh...this is how it read on TV. The announcer said it even faster too lol

Everything $500 under MSRP
manufactures suggested retail profit

We all know what the real MSRP stands for though...

Good luck and post pictures when you finally get one...white or black?

Manufacturer's suggested retail profit. That's funny.

I am interested in a white one with an automatic transmission. Curses to Ford for not offering them in red.

75coug

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out that I do not have a problem with dealers marking up prices to whatever level the market will bear. If they can sell a Mustang for $40, $50 or $60k, more power to them.

Do not, however, misrepresent pricing and discounts. If the AG's office was not so busy doing whatever it is that they do and ignoring complaints from consumers, I would report these scoundrels.

Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sit down & wait. There are many, and I do mean....MANY folks out there making mega dollar pay checks. A good percent are single. Tossing in an extra 5 or 7 thou to be the first one on the block, means as much to them as bying me a cup of coffee would mean to you. It is THOSE buyers they are seeking. The new Challenger = the same.

Now, as to WHY dealers do this. It's very simple. They do it to make up for all of the Mom & Dad transportation sedans that they sell all year long for $200 over dead dead invoice, and then have to wait 8 months for the factories 1.5% contributuion on that sale.

No dealer can be profitable with $200 profit on a sale, so when a gift comes along like an all new Corvette, a Shelby, an all new Mustang, a Mercury Marauder, a Pontiac GTO, a Saturn Sky, a Chrysler 330C Hemi - well, you get my drift, they attemp to capitolize on it.
Can't really blame them, it the nature of retailing.

Bathing Suits are really cheap, right about now...

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
n20capri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah more power to them...I for one would never pay the stupid premiums for them but others do...but yeah like you said the mis-representing is no good.
86 AscMcLaren Capri Coupe - #026 | 11.4@118 | 290/322
86 9L SVO
www.mikemartinelli.com
www.baldguydesigns.net

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think there would be one Ford dealer out there selling for true MSRP and advertising nationwide about it. I bet he'd make some good cash from people buying and shipping cars to where they live.

For me, I find it a bit reprehensible for them to mark these cars up so high. I was under the impression that they were not limited in any way. Shelby was going to convert as many as he received orders for.

If these things are sitting on lots for 6 months then the dealers deserve to get socked with them. There was a Plymouth Prowler sitting on a dealers lot in upstate NY for a YEAR. The guy had it marked up sky high, then when interest waned, he was dying to unload it. If he had put it up for MSRP he probably could have sold two!

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
red390gt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:

If these things are sitting on lots for 6 months then the dealers deserve to get socked with them. There was a Plymouth Prowler sitting on a dealers lot in upstate NY for a YEAR. The guy had it marked up sky high, then when interest waned, he was dying to unload it. If he had put it up for MSRP he probably could have sold two!

-Mike

Remember back in the late 80's early 90's when Saleen came out with the White Saleen Super Car SSC? I delaer about a mile from my house had that SSC sitting on the lot for two years and then I thought it sold. I just saw an add a few months ago from that same dealer for that same car, they never sold it and stored it instead. They had that thing for about 15 years or more.
Euro#13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
You would think there would be one Ford dealer out there selling for true MSRP and advertising nationwide about it. -Mike

The dealer I used to work for sold all of his Shelby 2007 GT500's & Shelby GT's at sticker, but there was a catch.
He didn't sell them to just anyone, he hand picked who he sold one to based on two things.

1. If they have bought an SVT vehicle from him in the past
2. If he knew they intended to keep it for themselves and not quickly turn it for a profit.

Brent
Former owner of EuroCoupe #13
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 5-speed; 1 of 7,860
1971 Ford Ranchero; 1 of 2,595
Hi-Jumper mid-engine sandrail w/2.3 turbo
mustang marty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is still a dealer in my area who's going price for a GT500 is $75k. According to Cars.com the MSRP is $42k for the coupe and $47k for the vert. A $30k markup is more than ridiculous.
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should sell for MSRLP. No More - No Less.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
ponydude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local used car dealer bought an 07 Shelby for $5000 over invoice, but had to sign an agreement that he would not sell it for 6 months. He stored it for the waiting period and now he's driving the wheels off it. I see him on the road all the time.
BTW, he took it to my son for the first oil change. Over $90 for an oil change following Ford's recommendations. Everything had to come from them.
'81 T-Top Coupe
2-'84 1/2 GT 350's 5.0 5speeds, 1 T-Top
'95 Mustang GTS
'83 Black Magic
tfs2121

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$90 for an oil change!!! whats the filter made of gold?
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mike.

I'm definitely not one to pay the exorbatant inflated prices for a new popular car. Let someone else get gouged. Nor do I think its right inflating the prices. Cars have gotten way to expensive. I spec'd out a new F250 that is just a newer version of my 2000, difference in price for what I paid for my 2000 new was ridiculous. I'm thinking that my truck will probably be the last new vehicle I ever buy. You can save big bucks with something 1-2 years old with low miles, and let someone else eat the depreciation.

Its getting less and less fun buying cars, I just helped my sister get a new minivan after hers was totalled. After I waded thru a few lies, I finally found a good one.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
Larry d

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shelby should have said something, We bought a new KIA Sadona with all the bells and whistles, and I mean everything but a DVD in back for $23K cash and just love it,Had no miles and now with somewhere aound 20 K miles Larry D with the 83 Crimson Cat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: