ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1999 Mercedes SLK230 Kompressor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProTouringASC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: 1999 Mercedes SLK230 Kompressor Reply with quote

Well, my wife's Miata has bit the dust! So, as she is the damned coolest woman in the world (she must be for putting up with me) I have decided to get her another car so she will not have to walk to work. Besides, she makes more than I do, and so we need her income! Shocked

Ok, ok... truth is that we need to buy a new car for my wife. She loves small convertibles (like her Miata) but would like something a bit nicer. We have thought of a newer Miata (2006) but as we will have to get a loan (damn, I really didn't want to!) I would like to buy something that will not depreciate much more while I pay interest on it.

I have looked about and found a nice 40K mile 1999 Mercedes SLK230 that is in our price range. It's a CarMax car, and though I am not in love with the idea of a car off a "used car lot," I have talked with my favorite shop and they have told me that the extended warranty available through CarMax is actually very good, and that I can get the work done through their shop instead of the stupid CarMax central repair facility.

Any thoughts on these cars? I have heard a handful of bad things concerning them, but everything else I have read says they are very good cars.

Any info you might have would be great guys!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
ckj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to know a guy that had one back in 2001. He loved the car and it was a joy to ride in. You cant go wrong with that car. I don't know any details or info about reliability, never heard him say he had a problem.
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a T-Bird? 2003-2006 .... ?

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
ProTouringASC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
How about a T-Bird? 2003-2006 .... ?

I wouldn't mind, but the V8 kills the mileage. She drives to DC from Frederick, MD every day. The 'bird is also a bit bigger, and she has this thing for little cars.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
mark@ddi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: slk Reply with quote

In my opinion you can get a much better deal on a used Crossfire. Same car, much newer, and a lot cheaper.
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, Crossfires are way cool !! I was actually going to order a 2008, and now they will not take any orders. They killed the car, even thought IT'S PICTURED IN EVERY SINGLE LINE OF 2008 CHRYSLER BROCHURE !

GO FIGURE !

rlyons13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,

Just looked at a used 05 Crossfire SRT-6 roadster on Saturday. While I don't really want to sell my McLaren, I would if I get a good offer and buy the SRT-6. The top works just like the McLaren's, but fully mechanized. The car rides "heavy", in typical German fashion. And the blower comes on real smooth. The hood is a little long, much like the Mustang. And it does sit a bit lower than I'm used to, but nothing too bad. I'm torn. Money isn't quite the problem, it's garage space. And no Sandy, I'm not going to rent space. I have three spots in my garage, which is God's way of telling me I need no more than three toys at any given point in time.

If anyone wants, or knows of someone who wants, an 88 triple blue McLaren with less than 18K, please send them to me. If we can work out a deal (I'm reasonable), great. If not, well...I really like the McLaren too.

Pics available upon request!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my heart set on a special Crossfire, so I'm sure it could not be found on a lot. I want a yellow one with the white interior. I've seen a few of them, but always brand new on lots. There are like no options, so that's not a problem, it's the color that's difficult. So many red or black or that Slate Blue color.

ProTouringASC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: slk Reply with quote

mark@ddi wrote:
In my opinion you can get a much better deal on a used Crossfire. Same car, much newer, and a lot cheaper.

Not really cheaper... and they have a cloth top. One reason for the SLK was the folding hard top.

After a lot of research, looks like it's going to be an SLK230.

Thanks!
Bill
ckj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: slk Reply with quote

ProTouringASC wrote:

One reason for the SLK was the folding hard top.

Thanks!
Bill

MMMM Folding hard top... Good Job
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: