ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tips on getting the best deal on a new car lease

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
red390gt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: tips on getting the best deal on a new car lease Reply with quote

I am looking for a new car to lease. I lease to keep the monthly payments down. I am looking at two very different cars, a 2008 Honda Civic Si and a Mini Clubman. I want to trade in my 2000 F150 4x4 and put some money down on it.

What tips do you have for me to get the best deal?
bryan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the low payments of leases are the crack cocaine of car buying. Unless you have the ability to legitimately use the lease as a tax deduction, or if you just like shuffling through cars every couple of years, I'd consider a used model instead to keep your payments down. Just my two cents, which you probably didn't care to hear Wink

Probably not a popular opinion on this site, but I LOVE the Si. Are you considering the coupe or sedan? I'm saving my money for the CR-Z...if they actually release it.
'87 Guards Red ascMcLaren (#398)
red390gt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have considered a used car, but everytime I find one I like either the price is way too high or it's already sold. I am interested in the Si sedan.
bryan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain. Used Hondas are so freakin' expensive. They sure hold their value. Hondas are great cars and all, but I'm not sure the used prices are justified.

Good luck shopping! Try to avoid emotional decisions - which in my experience is much, much easier said than done Wink If you're considering a five speed, read up on the Mini. I've heard they have terribly weak clutches that require early replacement.
'87 Guards Red ascMcLaren (#398)
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a new & used car salesman, salesmanager and owner of my own used car lot:

Leasing a new car (unless you can use it as a writeoff, or get a company paid account with which to pay for the car.....is the single biggest waste of money there is. Think about it ! You are paying for that which will never be yours.

Better to finance it. At least at the final payment, you'll have equity....AND it will belong to YOU !

Leasing was invented by dealers...for the enrichment OF dealers. What better way to feed your used car lot with 3 year old cars, of YOUR make, that have NEVER been sold, nor titled out of the dealer's name? Gosh, a "new car" with miles on it Smile

Finance the car, even it you have to for 4 years !

Want lower payments ? As I told Family, Purchase your car at the dealership and purchase your money at the bank ! ((DUH ))

Unless the Corporation is having a blitz and is offering a fantastic rate, you'll always do better at the bank.

Wathch out for a Baloon note at the end of a lease, also. Can be a killer !!

To get lower payments, selecta car thats not popular.
Mercury's are a prime example. Perhaps a nice 2 year old Montego.

If so, buy Ford's protection plan, but use it as a "squeeze" ~ As in if you'll meet my offer, I'll be able to purchase the FoMoCo Protection Plan from you.
Killing 2 birds with 1 stone. ((Ford's Protection plan is AAA Excellent.)) !!

Honda Toyota Nissan used, yuou're gonna pay thru the nose, and they are really no better. They have problems too! (Why ya think they are on the used car lot?)

I like Ford. Ford will bend over & work with a consumer. I've seenit. I've experienced it. They are after good willfrom consumers & are working really hard to earn it.

Do not trade in your truck! You will getr LESS than book (wholsale). Sell it privately, you'll do better.

Never send the yo yo that shows up to see it of on a demo ride without YOU along.

Stay out of rhe huge mega highway whore-houses ! Go to small dealers.

Don't get wise or nasty with salespeople. The do this everyday, the buyer does it ever 4 years. You cannot win, any more than you can work on your own teeth !

Best of everything/

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the Mini, if those are the only two choices your considering.

Oh yea, Lease? = Bad.......

Buy it.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
red390gt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are saying about a lease, you end up with nothing in the end.

Here's a story to help you understand why sometimes a lease is good. I leased a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer, it was a good SUV until I got to about 30k miles, then the transmission started slipping. I took it to the dealer and they tried to fix it but it still wasn't right. That dealer went out of business shortly after my first visit so I took it back t a different dealer, same thing the second time, it still slipped bad, they said it was normal. How could slipping be normal, I'd give it gas and the the engine would just rev up and the car would not move. After about 5 visits to the dealer I gave up because I knew the lease was up in two months. I turned in the car to the dealer as said to the dealer "the transmission you couldn't fix is now your problem", they said no problem we'll take care of it. That lease was cheap, a Ford Red Carpet option so it was a very very good deal. Had I bought the car I would have been stuck with the car trying to get it repaired, leasing it allowed me to return the lemon at the end of the lease with no questions asked.

I kind of think lof leasing like a try and buy, I lease it for a few years and if it's a good car at the end of the lease I buy it.If not I turn it in and get something else.

This time I am asking the dealers for two quotes, compare purchase to lease so I can see the actual difference.

I am leaning towards the Honda because the local Mini dealer isn't very good and listening to my needs, the Honda dealer seems to want to bend over backwards to make the deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: