ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHAT TYPE OF TRUCK SHOULD I BUY
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
03Mach1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: WHAT TYPE OF TRUCK SHOULD I BUY Reply with quote

Need some help guys. I am looking to buy a 4 door diesel truck (3/4 ton) tough enough to pull an enclosed 16-20 foot car hauler. Car hauler with vehicle is approximately 7 to 8 thousand pounds. I am a Ford guy but have heard horror stories about some of the turbo diesels. Looking for something quiet, dependable, good looking and comfortable that doesn't do too bad on the gas mileage. Please share some opinions on this, I will value them all. Just cant make up my mind on the Ford, Chevy or Dodge. Also this truck will be my everyday driver in addition to pulling the Mclaren to cars shows. Thanks in advance.
'88 ASC/McLaren #542 white/gray/black 20,000 miles trailer queen
'03 Mach 1 torch red 7,500 miles trailer queen-sold
'06 King Ranch F150 white over gold/saddle 34,000 miles-mustang hauler
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Ford Guy for sport cars but All CHEVY for Heavy Duty Trucks. Why you ask Fords Solid Axle in Frt is Tough if you are going off-road but @ 75,000 miles when the Ball joints give out and Takes Special tools and LOTs of seals to do it. Not for the do-it your selfer. The 4x4 have a $50.00 Air seal that takes a $500.00 tool to install right. Chevy Trucks have just been easier to work on. And will ride down the highway nicer. I could go on but. Oh ya Fords are now using 2 ya 2 Alternators That has to be a nightmare to figure out Confused But if you want to lift it or do mods GO Ford.

Ford Boxing Chevy
03Mach1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want a 4X4, just stock height. no mods planned at all. i also heard diesels are a lot more expensive for standard maintenance, but the price evens out with gas mileage. i do all of my own maintenance work but have never worked on a diesel so i will be reading up a lot when it comes to it.
tfs2121

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the truck in this shot didnt break a sweat trying to pull this. the new ford trucks are so nice i dont see why you wouldent go with the ford. i think the best way to go is to test drive one of each.
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the Chevy, GMC, Dodge & Ford are all equal. However, I have found that when the vehicle is out of original warrantee, that Ford is more willing to bend the rules to cover some (or more) of repairs done at a Ford Dealer, on the truck, when there is no warrantee left. They seem more willing to work with the consumer in the name of customer relations, than do the other 3. The Chevy/GMC have the best ride (most forgiving) while I like the looks of the Dodge the best as well as the high line (read: fancy) interiors. But over the long haul of ownership i'd give the Ford a 40% and the Dodge & Chevy/GMC each a 30%. They ALL cost what a decent house did in 1970. Shocked and the mark-up (read: profit) on them is less than what it was IN 1970 ! Shocked

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
AlanG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has hauled a Promod drag car all over the east coast with all three brands, he says the 05 dodge 1 ton 4 door dually 2wd 6speed is by far the best. he tows a 38' fifth wheel. Good power, great mileage. He had a ford f550 with the western hauler package, he said that was a great truck too but it was hard on fuel.
trvlnmann

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking to buy new or used?
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the Ford, then the Dodge, then the Chevy/GMC. I think the superduty Fords hold their value better in comparison of the other two.

Also, think long and hard about going with the diesel. I'm not anti-diesel, I think they are great powerplants for what they are made for. Punch some numbers on your calculator in terms of the up-front costs of the diesel and the small difference in gas mileage. (In addition, diesel is the same price as gas in my area). I've watched the price for the diesel option rise steadily through the years, it has! used to be a 3k option and I think its over 5k now, isn't it? The number of years/number of miles you'd have to drive to have the Diesel pay for the upcharge over a gas is way long. I can't remember the number, but its a ridiculously high number.

Yes, I have a gas V10. It was a $300 option over the V8 when I bought my truck new in 2000. (no brainer IMO) And it tows a large cigarette boat with ease. Never had a problem on the highway or on the ramps. I have 174,000 on it and its still going strong. no problems. I've change the alternator, had the front ball joints replaced, and done the brakes twice on it. Thats it.

Yea, my opinion. Good Luck Exclamation
1988 ASC McLaren #688
75coug

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this talk is making me miss my pickup.

1989 ascMcLaren convertible - royal gold
1986 ascMcLaren convertible - red
1984 ascMcLaren convertible - white
03Mach1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new or used. great price and condition and I'd buy an '05 and up. Really like the f-250 and 350's. The lariat is super nice. just still not sure about the diesel although it seems everyone has a diesel these days. They couldn't be that expensive for maintenance.
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Fords diesel Oil change cost around $100.00 at the shops not sure about the GM

Ford's take 15 qts and a filter that runs ya $15.00-$25.00

A GM takes 10 qts and a filter runs ya $4.00-$10.00

Most people I know change the filter and oil every 3,000-7,000miles

You can figure the math.

The last time I did the math For a Diesel vs. Gas engine using oil change cost, MPG, cost of Fuel, Plus extra cost to buy the diesel engine. You needed to drive around 110,000 miles which for me was going to take close to 20years for it to pay for it's self. Oh ya that was about 6years ago and things where cheaper.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Didn't know the diesels took 3 times the oil the gas engines do. Cripes.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumkrazy wrote:
A Fords diesel Oil change cost around $100.00 at the shops not sure about the GM
Most people I know change the filter and oil every 3,000-7,000miles
You can figure the math.
The last time I did the math For a Diesel vs. Gas engine using oil change cost, MPG, cost of Fuel, Plus extra cost to buy the diesel engine. You needed to drive around 110,000 miles which for me was going to take close to 20years for it to pay for it's self. Oh ya that was about 6years ago and things where cheaper.

I didn't know that about the differences between a diesel and gas oil change. Learn something new everyday.....

About the number of miles needed to have the diesel pay for itself over the gas, I remember that mileage number being higher than that, like over 200,000.

Oh, and this mornings fuel prices: regular unleaded - $2.94 and diesel - $3.31.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
03Mach1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is what i heard regarding maintenance costs. A v-10 sounds like it would be more cost effective than a diesel. of course gas is always on the rise and diesel seems to always be higher or at the same price as the middle octane. big decision ahead...
tfs2121

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumkrazy wrote:

humm most diesels should take 16 qts and up. we just had a ford in at the shop last week that took 16 qts. my boss is super cheap so we buy alot of stuff from autozone. so we orderd 16 qts from them and they sent over 3 gallons... 3 gallons 4 qts in a gallon you do the math! when we called them back they told us that the brand they sent comes 5 qts in a gallon. im no math whiz but i think a gallon is a gallon... no matter what its always going to be 4 qts. this is why you should not shop at autozone.

but anyways i cant see 4 gallons of diesel oil and a filter costing more then 50 bucks if you DIY... just make sure you buy an extra large oil drain pan. nothing worse then trying to fit 4 gallons of oil in a 5 qt pan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: