ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heater core replacement question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Heater core replacement question Reply with quote

Anyone ever replace their heater core without discharging the A/C system?

I have an old Mustang Monthly article that I got online that walks you through the tricks to doing it, but I'm still not sure whether or not I should just replace the evaporator core while I'm at it. A/C blows cold and still has R12, so I'm inclined to say "if it ain't broke don't fix it." I've never had the evaporator fail in my cars, but...

Not looking forward to this job Unhappy
'87 Guards Red ascMcLaren (#398)
jscheller

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, and it still wasn't fun. After removal of the entire dash, you will clearly see where the heater core sits in the blower box by the way it is molded around it. I just took a Rotozip and cut out the blower box around the heater core which allowed me to pull the heater core straight out. After I replaced the heater core, I sealed and epoxied the section of the blower box I had removed. Then reassembled the dash and I was all set.

If I HAD to do it again I would go the same route because I don't want to discharge my R12 either.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do NOT need to cut up your heater box to remove the heater core.

You can also do it without discharging your AC.

Here is a very good guide:
http://www.50stangs.com/techarticles/heatercore.html

Please note, two things to make life easier:
1. You need to remove your seats.
2. You need to unbolt your steering column and let it drop to the floor. Make sure you disconnect all electrical connections before you do it.

You don't have to completely remove the dash but you will need to disconnect enough stuff to get enough room to get at the heater box.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing, if you do decide to disconnect your AC, then to remove the evaporator on 85-86 cars, you will need to remove the dash, pull the heater box almost all the way out, cut the heater around the markings which will let you finally replace the evaporator.

On 84 or earlier heater boxes, the whole thing can be disassembled and the AC evaporator removed. On the 85-86+ boxes, the unit is sealed (glued) together and cannot be dissasembled....hence the reason you have to cut the evaporator out.

In both cases the heater core can be accessed by unbolting the top flap.

I used the 84 heater box out of the donor car, disassembled it and put my 85 evaporator in it with a new heater core. The evaporator doesn't usually go bad (I think...it doesn't channel that nasty corroding coolant). The one in the 85 looked better than the 84 as a rodent had nested in the heater box.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
svo413

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Heater core Reply with quote

FYI... Don't laugh at this one. I hear it is easier to get to if the windshield is out. Keep this in mind if you have to do both jobs (heater core and winshield).
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater core Reply with quote

svo413 wrote:
FYI... Don't laugh at this one. I hear it is easier to get to if the windshield is out. Keep this in mind if you have to do both jobs (heater core and winshield).

It definitely makes it easier to unbolt the dash. That is definitely true.

-Mike

Last edited by negusm on Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
bryan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I think I'm just going to do the heater core and leave the ac alone. I've replaced a heater core on an 88 mustang I used to own, so I know enough to realize it's not going to be fun. I appreciate the pointers.
'87 Guards Red ascMcLaren (#398)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: