ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking at a 87 that is for sale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixhex32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: looking at a 87 that is for sale Reply with quote

hi i'm new and need some help please
i'm in the process of buying a 87 mclaren white/tan/biege. its needs a little love like a water pump,battery(both no big deal) a new top(not to big of a deal, found some replacements already) my biggest concern is the "backseat" area. aparently the carpet for the back half is somewhat genrenic? as in i could possible go to home depot to get some am i correct? also the storage bins a have what looks to be either leather or vinyl handles.(any idea where i could get these? without the wife ripping my head off for spending to much) other than these things the car looks to be in good shape. i will need to get some other minor parts, but those can wait.

thanks
robert
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Hank (Henry) Huisman has what you need in 2 of the 3 above. Be sure to tell him that you want the ORIGINAL style ascMcLaren roof, stitching-wise. Be sure to tell that it's a 1987. 1987/1988 used one style stitching, while 1989/1990 used another design. Over the years, you & your pay-check will get to know Ol Henry real well. He has some very nice prices Shocked but, at least the stuff **IS** available Very Happy !
Good luck and welcome to our group of other infectees.

It's: http://www.ascmclaren.com & you click onto the bar that says "Contact Us" and then click on the rotating "a"

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
nixhex32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks sandy i called henry and he has the stuff i need... he said the back carpet is on a roll which made me think that it is like the stuff at home depot or lowes. the storage bins i'll have to figure out. as for a top i found 4 sites that have them... henry's, carbio, topsonline, and 50resto. plus the guy on ebay. i know you get what you pay for but right now 750 for a top from henry is not possible as i need to get the car road ready within a month.(reg,insp, ins and misc stuff needed) i thinking about going through topsonlines. tops and carbio both get them from "ez on". not sure where henry gets his.
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry's are N.O.S. (New Old Stock). EZ tops pattern is wrong and not nearly as attractive as the NOS. If you go to pick out carpet from Home Depot, cut a small piece of carpet from where it doesn't show, like under the seat (waaay under) to take with you for color match. Beige probably has more shades than even blue! If you are not real good with color shade variations, take someone who is. Make Henry an offer. $600.00 I'd suggest......hold firm. He also has aftermarket (I think) so tell that you want OEM Original Equipment Manufacturer. Cabrio world's I know
1) Don't match the OEM shade
2) Wrong Stitching
3) Tend to Shrink up around the base, as per examples I've seen after just a few months. They never lay flat against the Tonneau 'round the back, under the BIG center plastic window....

75coug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nixhex, be sure to let us know which way you go on the top. I need to get a new top for my '86 (as soon as I have a good month at work), and I am still mulling over whether to go the expensive OEM route or get something cheaper.

1989 ascMcLaren convertible - royal gold
1986 ascMcLaren convertible - red
1984 ascMcLaren convertible - white

Last edited by 75coug on Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
nixhex32

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no doubt that i will let everyone know about the top. sandy i talked to a EZon tech and he told me that in 87 there are actually 2 tops depending on when the car's build date. as soon as i get the car and top i will pass on my findings. BTW i get the car friday night or saturday...i'm so freakin excited.....the last time i saw a mclaren was about 10yrs ago and i knew that i had to have one......
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's hooked Wink

bryan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the last time i saw a mclaren was about 10yrs ago and i knew that i had to have one..."

Same here, NixHex (Nick Hexum fan, are you?). The only parked ascMcLaren I ever saw I left a note on the windshield asking if they'd consider selling it. Ten years later, I have my 87. Now I just need a white coupe/orange accent coupe to add to the stable someday. I LOVE that color combo.

Welcome to the fold!
'87 Guards Red ascMcLaren (#398)
nixhex32

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Nick Hexum fan, are you?).

yep love 311...heard of them before they made it and cant get enough. as for the car i'm sure i'll have to much money into it and cry the day i HAVE to get rid of it. hopefully that day never comes
nixhex32

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well got the car, put a battery in it and she fired right up, got a water pump now just have to install, the top is dead gonna have to get a new one for sure, but the good news is the lock and mechanism work to release the top, all lights work, drivers seat has some small wear tears(nothing to worry about right now) waiting for the stock wheels to get to me(has some AE or AR 5 stars on it now) recaro seats speakers work haven't found the switch to see if the heated part works, the lumbar also works, carpet in the front half is decent(think i'll get a steam cleaner and clean it) after looking at some records the top has been replaced once before, like most older stang the window motors run a little slow, i think it has been repainted cause the asc door stickers aren't there, but all important badges are on the car, gonna take some pics for a before and then take more while i fix things
nixhex32

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yea its #421
Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONE OF THIRTEEN IN ASC WHITE WITH SAND BEIGE INTERIOR AND A TAN ROOF MADE FOR 1987.

nixhex32

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget the 1 of 39 with the recaro seats tooooo Laughing
Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the sole white/beige/tan with recaros for '87. Percentage wise it looks like it.

nixhex32

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would a person go about finding out info like that? and the speakers in the seats work where is the switch to see if the heaters work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: