ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New owner 88
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
88-254

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Yes, the super kleen comes AFTER the plaque comes off, to remove the adhesive left behind on the paint.

What you need:

Waxed Dental Floss
Good Quality Hair Dryer use on "high"
Rags
MOPAR Super Kleen
Patience

I USED TO DO THIS WEEKLY - REMOVING OTHER DEALERS NAME PLATES
FROM THE BACK OF TRADE-INS. 10 MINUTES (AT THE LEAST) WITH THE HAIR DRYER, 15 MINUTE IS BETTER.
WITH THE FLOSS YOU MUST GO UP & DOWN IN A VERTICAL SAWING STYLE AND SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY AT THE SAME TIME PULL THE FLOSS TOWRD THE OTHER END OF THE PLAQUE.
WAXED FLOSS IS STRONGER THAN NON.

Thanks Sandy, sounds like a good safe way to do it.
ASCMCLRN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shelbyscarab wrote:
Sandy wrote:
1987: 001 - 479

1988: 480 - 1494

1989: 001 - 247

1990: 248 - 300

Plaques are wrong for many many reasons!

1) Guy putting them on didn't care about keeping things straight
2) Workers "borrowed" plaques to put on there own cars, kids toys,
.stereo equipment....you name it.
3) Wrong box of plaques opened, not taken in order.
(Say box has #s 600 - 750 and it's the next box in line, but, employee took a different box, and that box has # 800-950 .... Okay? So car that shouda gotten # 600, actually got # 800.

I have no clue as to what # any particular car has / had, only I can tell WHAT it should have had.

I have found many more that are correct, than are wrong, but, yes, there are many that are wrong.
Face facts..... They were really only put on for the
WOW factor !!

Sandy, I don't know that I've ever had you check mine, so I might as well ask now......

#688 and vin ..........157257. Thanks.

And back to Cindy's #254. What would you do if that was your car? keep the 254 on it or change it to what it should be?

Strange I never knew there were follow responses to this thread. I usually have an auto msg sent telling me but never got it. Sorry if anyone was expecting a response.

Car 254 were are you? Laughing Food for thought regarding this particular car. Has anyone given it some thought that this car might have lost it's original plaque and someone purchased #254 off of Ebay just to have the car look more original or for resale value?

Nick
ASCMCLRN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Nick, one small correction. The Doors. The doors used were not T-Top Doors, but rather convertible doors installed BY FoMoCo, on line.
The door Glass was NOT tinted, as it was removed and tossed into the garbage, at ASC. The door windows were made by Libby-Owens (the glass Mfgr. to FoMoCo) and were cut totally different, to accomodate the 10 degree additional slant of the windshield. The "stock" convertible window would hit the A - Pillar about 3/4s of the way going up. The cars were built by FoMoCo with the "FLEET ONLY" Tinted Windshield, and the replacement glass from Libby-Owens was tinted.

CINDY I think a day or two or three ago I did give you your correct dash plaque number. If not, shoot me your VIN - It's a 1988, correct? !!

Sandy,

I was just trying to research this but then got caught up with other distractions. I am going to have to get back to you on this. I am pretty sure I read somewhere about this but have been wrong before.

Nick Smile
ASCMCLRN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

88-254 wrote:
88-254 wrote:
ASCMCLRN wrote:
88-254 wrote:
negusm wrote:
88-254 wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. Was using up old stock something that was normally done?

asc cars were hand made cars. They did many MANY oddball variations.

We see Eurocoupes with many many Full Package coupe parts on them because the two base cars were virtually identical at the start of the build process.

-Mike

Thank you. That makes me feel better. I was starting to wonder what exactly I had. Handmade, wonderful, not like today's cookie cutter units.
So, these variations are normal. Smile Makes each one of them unique.

Cindy

Cindy,

This can get rather confusing so let's just use your car exclusively right now as an example then go into some of the changes that took place in general.

In your case They did not authorize to have the emblems on both sides of the exterior just above the body molding rear of the doors. It only belongs on the passenger side.

The rear valance on your vehicle is incorrect. It is a series two design and belongs on the 89-90 models. This would not have come direct from ASC this way as NOS (new old stock) or as an oddball variation. Carfax's do not show everything btw. This could have been changed either from a theft or bodywork that was not reported, or preference from previous owner.

Hornpads. I have seen some 88's with the Ford logo so I have to do some more investigating if this was a mid year change or not. All I can say is 1988 was the year they went with the "ASC McLaren" logo on the horn pad.

Confusing part. The center consoles were changed mid '88 along with the t-top doors (side view mirrors posted on door vs corner of windshield/door) which included power door mirrors for the first time for an ASC. Because you have the older mid console and newer t-top doors makes me wonder if your car was right in the middle of the transition period? I have seen maybe one or two other examples of this.

Keep in mind there are two phases of production we are dealing with here so changes can be because of Ford and ASC. Some changes from Ford were the side view mirrors '88, middle console '88, maf (Mass Air Flow) on California cars '88 then all others in '89, larger speedo mid 89, etc... Some changes from ASC were the hornpads '88, relocating the antenna '88, different ground effects '89 etc... I hope this helps. I have a great love for these cars and hope you get so much enjoyment out of yours too.

Nick Smile

Nick,

You are right about it being confusing. I am not sure quite what all these differences mean as far as what was original and what has been changed and why. I knew about the valence from Shelbyscarab. I have asked Sandy to help with the plaque. I am hoping that will shed some light on eveything.

Thanks,
Cindy

Hi,

Sandy had told me I have car #866, not 254, so would that put it in the transition period that might explain the Ford Horn Pad and the console?

Still does not explain the emblem on each side. They are not identical either. Please tell me what the emblem should have on it.

Thanks,
Cindy

Hi Cindy, your car seems to be right. It was an early production 1988 when Ford was switching over on the mid consoles. As far as the hornpad the only rhyme or reason is to research cars processed around your time. I am just concerned if someone may have took it as a solvenir (I can't spell, i know this lol), lost stolen, or damaged the original and placed a regular Ford pad on it. Don't worry to much about the hornpad imo unless we find out all 1988's should have come with it.

Nick
ASCMCLRN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfs2121 wrote:

this is what you should have on the right (pass) side of the car. the left side should have nothing.

also hank sells the engraved ones for your dash on his site for $75.

Minor correction here. Yes it is supposed to be on the passenger side however the emblem shown with the year and #'s is only used on the Capri's! The Mustangs have the plain looking emblem with his name on it.

Nick
ASCMCLRN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

88-254 wrote:
tfs2121 wrote:

this is what you should have on the right (pass) side of the car. the left side should have nothing.

Well, that is what I have on the passengers side--numbers are different.
On the driver side the plaque just has the writing with out the serial number. Thanks so much for sending the graphic.

I would like to take the wrong on off, but I think it would just mess up the paint. Seems to be have been put on to stay.

Thanks,
Cindy

Cindy, you have things messed up it seems. The only one used on Mustangs were the ones without the serial # and they were only on the passenger side. Hope this helps.

Nick Smile
88-254

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASCMCLRN wrote:
shelbyscarab wrote:
Sandy wrote:
1987: 001 - 479

1988: 480 - 1494

1989: 001 - 247

1990: 248 - 300

Plaques are wrong for many many reasons!

1) Guy putting them on didn't care about keeping things straight
2) Workers "borrowed" plaques to put on there own cars, kids toys,
.stereo equipment....you name it.
3) Wrong box of plaques opened, not taken in order.
(Say box has #s 600 - 750 and it's the next box in line, but, employee took a different box, and that box has # 800-950 .... Okay? So car that shouda gotten # 600, actually got # 800.

I have no clue as to what # any particular car has / had, only I can tell WHAT it should have had.

I have found many more that are correct, than are wrong, but, yes, there are many that are wrong.
Face facts..... They were really only put on for the
WOW factor !!

Sandy, I don't know that I've ever had you check mine, so I might as well ask now......

#688 and vin ..........157257. Thanks.

And back to Cindy's #254. What would you do if that was your car? keep the 254 on it or change it to what it should be?

Strange I never knew there were follow responses to this thread. I usually have an auto msg sent telling me but never got it. Sorry if anyone was expecting a response.

Car 254 were are you? Laughing Food for thought regarding this particular car. Has anyone given it some thought that this car might have lost it's original plaque and someone purchased #254 off of Ebay just to have the car look more original or for resale value?

Nick

Good one, Nick. Car 254, where are you? Actually, I wonder where it really is. Poor ASC is running around without it plaque Crying or Very sad Well, if anyone finds the original #866 plaque, let me know.

Cindy
88-254

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASCMCLRN wrote:
88-254 wrote:
tfs2121 wrote:

Well, that is what I have on the passengers side--numbers are different.
On the driver side the plaque just has the writing with out the serial number. Thanks so much for sending the graphic.

I would like to take the wrong on off, but I think it would just mess up the paint. Seems to be have been put on to stay.

Thanks,
Cindy

Cindy, you have things messed up it seems. The only one used on Mustangs were the ones without the serial # and they were only on the passenger side. Hope this helps.

Nick Smile

I know there should only be one, I have one on each side. The correct one which I believe would be without the numbers (Hank told me this also) should go on the passenger's side. Unfortunately, it is on the driver's side. The passenger's side has one with the numbers. I know now how to remove them, but have not done so as of yet. Bang Head I quess someone had an extra one and just decided it would look better if both sides had one Blob I think I said this correctly Shrug
tfs2121

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are they numbers on the pass side?
88-254

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfs2121 wrote:

They are 86-154....would that be from a 86 Capri?
ASCMCLRN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

88-254 wrote:
tfs2121 wrote:

They are 86-154....would that be from a 86 Capri?

Yes Cindy that would mean it is an '86 and the Capri model since the Mustangs came a year later.

Confused So let me get this straight. Your car says it's an '86 Capri #154 on the outside, the inside says it's an '87 Mustang #254, and it's really an '88 Mustang #866? Am I missing anything? lol. Laughing

Nick Smile
tfs2121

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol i think you got it right nick!

this car sure is goofy
88-254

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, yea, yea you have it right. Now stop laughing Razz I can't explain it, I can only wonder how the heck it has all three. It is funny. But it is an 88 and I know Sandy is correct that it is #866.

You have not missed a thing, unless of course I find another plaque hidden inside the trunk Screwy You never know!
tfs2121

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Laugh
88-254

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfs2121 wrote:
lol i think you got it right nick!

this car sure is goofy

It is not goofy, just a little Confused as to it's identity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: