ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

early '85 Capri GS w/5.0L radio and wheel option questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MHISSTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: early '85 Capri GS w/5.0L radio and wheel option questions Reply with quote

I've had a lot of fun with other folks "discussing" my interesting '85 Capri GS with CFI 5.0L V8 during the past couple of months. I thought I'd ask the experts here for some additional input.

No one seems to know what some of the remaining buck tag codes are and that's fine. I've still been able to figure out most everything about the car. Here are the items I would still like to figure out in order to start acqiring a couple original type items.

First, the radio. It has radio code "6" which is the electronic search AM/FM stereo cassette. As I interperate the dealer literature and ordering guides this radio was available either with or without the "Premium Sound" option. With the "Premium Sound" option, Premium Sound was printed on the face of the radio and an additional amp was located under the dash pad in the center speaker location. Am I correct? I've had others tell me ALL code "6" radios were "Premium Sound".

Second, the wheels. The original wheels were not on my car when I got it. A factory type locking lug key was in the glovebox and a McGaurd locking lug nut sticker is located on the spare tire cover. From what I have been able to figure out from the literature, if a car was equipped with aluminum wheels from the factory, it came with locking lug nuts. The 10-hole wheels were not available on the GS, so those are out. The only other options would be the Polycast or the TRX rims. I am leaning towards the Polycast since I thought if the car was equipped with the TRX package, it had TRX embossed on the buck tag and my car does not have that. Is this correct?

I haven't yet received the "999" History report I orderd from Ford on this car. Assuming all the information on the report is correct when I get it, will it give me the answers I'm looking for?

Thanks.

Scott
85McLaren

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,
I have owned 3 86 capri 5.0s aside for my 85 capri mclaren, but my friend had an 85 GS 5.0 CFI auto. His car did in fact come with the 10 hole 15" rims. Don't know about the radio yet. One of my 86's has the digital premium sound and my other had the regular non-digital radio.

Trouble is with these capris (more so as you get closer to 86), the factory seemed to start piecing whatever parts they had in their wharehouse as they got closer to the last year just to get rid of parts. A friend of mine confirmed this as his 86 capri was delivered at the dealership with all options that I had and his and mine were alittle different. Mine had the 4 - 6 cylinder chrome grill where his had the correct charcoal grey grill. Remember, these cars were new and they had these weird flaws (discrepencies). Seems that items were on certain cars or ordered with certain cars that the brochure said YOU couldn't get, but in fact were on the car(s) - rather a lot of mistakes or not. Our cars were the same colors and everything...

Jason
MHISSTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

My car is on the other end of the spectrum of '85 production. Being about one of the first 250 or so Capris produced, it has the seats and exhaust from '84.

If I remember correctly, the 10 holes were available on the GS in '86 so it doesn't surprise me if a late '85 model year production GS has them...or is this car one of those controvercial RS equipped cars with the GS badge on the hatch?

I guess one way to tell if my car has the premium sound is to check under the dash pad for the amp. I've been avoiding taking it off, but I guess I'm going to have to do it sooner or later since the heater core was bypassed when I got the car and I'm assuming it leaks.

I'm just hoping I get my "999" report soon and that it can shed some light on the radio and wheel options.

Scott
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...all I can do is point you to what the "books" say:

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Literature/DealerOnly/85_Mercury_ProductFactsBook_11.jpg

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Literature/DealerOnly/85Sep_Mercury_SalesmanGuide_030.jpg

P205/70VR14 BSW Tires came with the 5.0 automatic package. Does anyone know the size/width of the polycast wheels?

What's interesting is that the books say the V8 GS even could get the TRX wheels...while the "5.0" could not.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
MHISSTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, those were some of the references I was writing about.

The Polycast wheels are 14" x 5.5".
75coug

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car is one of the mysterious 1985 RS-equipped cars with the GS badge on the trunk, and mine came with ten-holes. It's an automatic, if that makes any difference.

1989 ascMcLaren convertible - royal gold
1986 ascMcLaren convertible - red
1984 ascMcLaren convertible - white

Last edited by 75coug on Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
85McLaren

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was how my friends was. A red 85 with a GS badge on the rear with 10 hole wheels with the 5.0. Auto as well....

Jason
MHISSTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my opinion that all of the mysterious RS/GS cars that are equipped as RSs, have CRS on the buck tag, but have GS on the hatch, are really RSs with a GS badge mistakenly put on the hatch. That would explain why it was equipped with the 10-holes.
MHISSTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S W E E T !

I got my "999" History report from Ford yesterday. It appears all of the information is correct. And, YES, it does finally answer the wheel and radio option questions!

Quote:
1ME Passenger Car Manufactured by Mercury U.S.A.
B Active Seat Belts
P79 3 Door Sedan Capri GS Hatchback
M 5.0 HO-4V-CFI 302 CID V8 cyl. Engine
9 Check Digit
F 1985 Model Year
F Dearborn Assembly Plant
601530 Consecutive Unit Number

This vehicle was produced on 10/04/1984 with the following options:

- 4 Speed Automatic Transmission
- 3.27 Limited Slip Rear Axle
- P220/55VRX390 Radial BSW Tires
- Speed Control
- Manual Air Conditioning
- Premium Sound System - AM/FM MPX Electronic Search Cassette Radio
- Power Windows
- Sand Beige Exterior Color
- B/Cloth & Vinyl Low Back Individual Seat
- Sand Beige Trim Color
- Tinted Glass
- Visibility Light Group
- Power Equipment Group

So I guess it had the optional TRX wheels and Premium Sound.

I've got my questions answered, but looking at all this has made me think of a few more.

- I was told TRX rims ALWAYS came with locking lug nuts from the factory. That part has been proven. In the literature it was stated all aluminum wheels came with locking lug nuts. I'm still wondering if that applies to the Polycast wheels or just the other ones listed as Aluminum? My '85 Shop Manual only lists the TRX, "10-holes", and SVO wheels specifically as Aluminum. Can anyone else verify if those other two came with locking lug nuts from the factory?

- I have seen literature in which the Premium Sound System - AM/FM MPX Electronic Search Cassette Radio has either "Premium Sound" or a fancy script "Electronic" printed on the lower right radio face. I've been told all AM/FM MPX Electronic Search Cassette Radios were of the Premium Sound variety, while others have said the Premium Sound was an additional option available that added an amp and better speakers to the radio. Still another suggestion was that all were premium sound, but the early production radios didn't have it printed on them like the later ones did. Who's right? To add interest to the queston, I have an '85 Cougar XR-7 with the same radio code of "6" as my Capri. I got the "999" report on it also and it says it had the Electronic AM/FM Stereo with Cassette with no mention of Premium Sound.

I dug through my '85 Shop Manual as I'm writing this and have ended up answering my own question. It appears the Cougar and Capri with the same radio code of "6" did have the same radio and my Cougar did not have the Premium Sound. The T-bird/Cougar Premium Sound had 6 speakers (2 more in the doors) instead of 4 and added a graphic equalizer and amplifier for all speakers instead of just the rear ones. So yes, you could get the Electronic AM/FM Stereo Cassette radio with or without Premium Sound.

- Also, has anyone who has one of the questionable GS badged RS equipped cars received a "999" report? If so, what does Ford say your car is?

Scott

Last edited by MHISSTC on Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
75coug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I secured my 999 report a while back, and from what I recall, it differs markedly from yours. I will dig it out tonight and post what it says.

A lot of folks have warned that the 999 reports are notorious for inaccuracies, so be careful not to take everything that it says as gospel.

1989 ascMcLaren convertible - royal gold
1986 ascMcLaren convertible - red
1984 ascMcLaren convertible - white
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a bunch of "premium sound" radios.

I have one right now in my garage. It came from a Mustang and says "premium sound". However, it has a dial and is an AM/FM radio only. There was a cassette version and an "Electronic" cassette version that came later (I think in 86).

1986:
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Literature/DealerOnly/86_Mercury_ProductFactsBook_14.jpg

Note that there are TWO ordering codes. One to get the Electronic Cassette radio and one for the premium sound option which has the amp and better speakers.

1985 appears about the same:
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Literature/DealerOnly/85_Mercury_ProductFactsBook_11.jpg

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
MHISSTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There were a bunch of "premium sound" radios.

I have one right now in my garage. It came from a Mustang and says "premium sound". However, it has a dial and is an AM/FM radio only. There was a cassette version and an "Electronic" cassette version that came later (I think in 86).

I'm guessing that radio was a STEREO radio and not a MONAURAL AM/FM radio.

My '85 shop manual states:
Quote:
The premium sound system is available with all conventional stereo, and electronic radios. The Continental and Thunderbird/Cougar system has six speakers (two high frequency instrument panel speakers, two preium rear speakers) and an 4-channel stereo amplifier (with conventional radios) or a 2-channel amplifier (with electronic radios). The LTD/Marquis, Mustang/Capri system is the same, except there are no premium front door spekers on LTD/Marquis, Mustang/Capri and no instrument panel speakers on Mark VII. Both types of amplifiers are capable of producing 20 watts per channel. The instruemt panel speakers are used for high frequency reproduction (tweeters). The door speakers are used for reproduction of the low and midrange frequencies, providing full range in the front of the vehicle. These speakers have large magnets and compliant edges. The rear speakers have large magnets, compliant cone edges and high frequency enhancing, whizzer cone. The rear speakers are installed in the same rear locations using the same hardware as the standard speakers. The premium sound system uses unique wiring to provide separate return lines to the speakers. The premium sound amplifier is used to drive the speakers at all times.

I found four different stereo radios listed. These included the AM/FM/MPX Stereo, AM/FM Stereo Radio with Cassette and Dolby, Electronic Radio AM/FM Stereo, and Electronic Radio AM/FM Stereo with Cassette.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is stereo....or then it wouldn't be marked "Premium Sound".

In 1984 you could still get the base AM radio. The Premium Sound option was not available unless you opted for at least the AMFM radio.

4 radios sound about right....

Here is a shot of a Premium Sound Cassette Radio without the "Electronic" script:
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Literature/FordBrochures/85FordMustangBrochure_22.jpg

The same picture is in the 1986 brochure. It's quite possible that the Cassette unit with "Electronic" script on it, is NOT a premium sound radio.

-Mike
MHISSTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I disagree with that. Ford had available an AM/FM Stereo without Premium Sound that would have been marked with just "Stereo" in the upper left corner and NO "premium sound" markings.

Quote:
In 1984 you could still get the base AM radio. The Premium Sound option was not available unless you opted for at least the AMFM radio.

Do you mean AM/FM STEREO radio?

Quote:
It's quite possible that the Cassette unit with "Electronic" script on it, is NOT a premium sound radio.

Exactly! It appears Ford had two Electronic radios available, one with a cassette, the other without, and both of those could be had either with or without Premium Sound.

Scott
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MHISSTC wrote:
Quote:

I disagree with that. Ford had available an AM/FM Stereo without Premium Sound that would have been marked with just "Stereo" in the upper left corner and NO "premium sound" markings.

I don't think they would have allowed the "Premium Sound" option on a monaural radio. I think any radio marked with "Premium Sound" (like mine) will be stereo.

By 1985 it appears the only radios offered were stereo units. I rescanned the data books and the AM/FM radios (and cassette) were all stereo units. The Monaural AM unit was gone after 1984.

Logically, I would think it worked like this:
You could order the car with either an AM/FM or AM/FM Cassette radio. Those would not say "Premium Sound". If you wanted, you could opt for the premium sound package. This would actually require a DIFFERENT radio which said "Premium Sound" on the face.

So in a way the "Premium Sound" option was not exactly 100% separate from the radio choice.

Now of course that's my "guess". I'm sure somebody will come along and tell me I'm full of it. Very Happy

-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: