ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is anyone on here a doctor?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to talk to an accountant on the tax stuff.

You will have to ITEMIZE your taxes to get the deduction...as in no 1040EZ. This is not as bad as it sounds especially if you have TurboTax which asks for all the deductions and makes it pretty easy. If you blow $2500 fixing your hand, it can come off from your taxes...as long as you go with the itimized deductions.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfs2121 wrote:
i do need to bite the bullet and get me some insurance. i need dental too.

You can always start out at the low end...$80/month and bump it up later. At least cover yourself in case of catastrophy.

Last time I checked into a dental plan it was a joke. They said I will need to pay into the plan for 2 years just to get something like a root canal covered. FWIW, dental work is not as expensive and medical work and if you do the math, in two years you can save up about the same money that it would cost for a root canal, and going twice a year for checkups.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
tfs2121

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oy vey i hate that word... pay cut. this year 2008 our small 4 bay shop (plus 1 drive on rack and 1 truck bay) did 1.4 mill. we broke every record in the book for any tuffy in michigan. our shop was the #2 tuffy shop in the country. well all got a $100 bonus and a pay cut... its funny how that worked. we had the best december on record for any store and we all got pay cuts.

i just switched dentest. i had been seeing the same guy since i can remember. but he charged me 1500 for work i had done. so i went to the dentest that a co workers wife works at MUCH cheaper and fancy. if i had the work done with him i could have saved 500-700.

thanks for the help guys. my boss can be understanding so ill try him first. if not i will have to go get some...

maybe i need to start a new thred for tax help... i want to know if i can deduct the thousands i sepnt on tools this year
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use the tools exclusively for your work?

Then I believe they are. Again you'd have to itemize. Poke around the tax sites.

If you're boss gives you nearly no benefits, you might be better trying to work corp to corp. Making things look like you're an independanct contractor to the IRS. That way it's very easy to deduct any working expenses. The sticky issue would be the liability insurance your shop carries for you when you work (as in if a customer sues the shop for your negligence). You would need to carry your own or see if you can still be covered by your boss.

-Mike
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the tool write off

Ask your tool dealer he may know, Last time I asked it was $2500 or $3500 you had to spend in tools.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumkrazy wrote:
On the tool write off

Ask your tool dealer he may know, Last time I asked it was $2500 or $3500 you had to spend in tools.

I don't know if I would trust that. The tool guy is out to sell tools! Very Happy

-Mike
88-254

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

I work in a hospital. Small Private one, but with a full time Emergency Room, Ambulatory Surgery Unit and Inpatient Facilities. If you go to an emergency room, they will ask for insurance, if you don't have any they will still treat you (especially if you are in pain when you arrive there and say so). Since you have no insurance, they will try to set you up with Medicaid, etc. At least, this is what we do. They will still treat you. Do not tell them you are not interesed in the medical asistance, just do the paperwork if they give you any. We have patients who do not have insurance, do not pay when sent bills, but the the billing department will set up a payment plan with them. Something they can afford. As long as these monthly payments are made you to not have to worry about them sending a collection agency.

Another thought, if this is a work related injury, it should be covered under Workman's comp. ins. You need to talk to your boss to see if they will cover it. Often times, they will send you to an ER, or have their own Doc. It sounds like this injury maybe work related.

Just remember, when you do get insurance, check out the pre-exsisting condtion clause.

If I was a nurse, I could offer more medical help, but I am a Medical Coder.

Hope you have it treated soon,

Cindy
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Peter, what's the status?
tfs2121

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not much pain anymore. i have been putting ice on it. its still swollen but not much. it does bother me some times. the worst its useing my impact gun on lug nuts. gripping the gun and they hevy viberation makes it hurt.

other then that it has been good.
bigzeke42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfs2121 wrote:
not much pain anymore. i have been putting ice on it. its still swollen but not much. it does bother me some times. the worst its useing my impact gun on lug nuts. gripping the gun and they hevy viberation makes it hurt.

other then that it has been good.

It only hurts when I use it!!!!!!!!!! lol lol
tfs2121

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumbass

Kicked in the Jimmy

i just need to go get some damn x rays

i wish i knew why the knuckle at the base of my thumb is twice the size of my other hand...
86capriasc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem once.
I went snowboarding for the first time. Did pretty good until I face planted and landed wrong on my hand. Couldn't move my thumb for weeks.

I think I cracked the socket at the base of my thumb, still hurts sometimes. This was like 14 years ago.
1986 ASCMclaren #108
stock E7 short block, explorer intake, 65mm TB, home built Gt45 turbo kit, 3.08s, Borla cat-back, '05 slot maf, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, E85, Qaurterhorse tuner.
eeprete

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saving all you can does no good if you wind up getting laid up for months because of the injury then losing a lot more. You are being penny-wise and pound foolish.

if this is work related there should be a workmans comp claim filed

if your shop is doing that much in business is in your employers best interest to provide basic healthcare for his/her employees

provided you are working full time not providing benefits to the employees is poor business practice and I personally would start looking elsewhere for work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: