ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ascMcLaren Radios

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ascMcLaren Info and Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: ascMcLaren Radios Reply with quote

From Sandy Block:

The 1984 & early 1985 coupes came with a Kenwood Am Fm Stereo/Cassette KRC-2001 and 2
hatch area mounted Kenwood Speakers. Later 1985's and all 1986s had Alpine
7272 Stereo with Cassette. Every car that had the Alpine also has a small
Alpine amp located in the dash behind the center speaker grill. VERY early
Alpine 7272 radios had a post style while the later ones had the DIN configuration.

They also came with the aforementioned Kenwood Speakers in the cargo area.
They were housed in a rectangle flat black housing with the name KENWOOD
stamped in the top part of the framework. The Speakers in the front were
stock Ford.

All convertibles 1986-1990 came with the top of the line Ford stereo
with the Ford Premium Audio System. Am Fm Stereo ETR & Cassette.*

1986 EuroCoupes were built uder a "Y" code of Radio Delete, and
arrived at the dealer with no radio but with a "Stereo Prep Pkg."
which was a fender installed antenna, dash mounted speakers, and
rear speakers and full wiring as needed. The dealer installed
whatever they wanted.

*Note: It has come to my attention that several 85 vert owners do not have the stock Ford Premium system. These were hand built cars, by a small(ish) company. I don't doubt that some 1984-1985 CONVERTIBLES have had Kenword or Alpine stereos since they arrived at the dealer. However, I was going by the dealer spec sheets. I do know for an absolute, that ALL 1987-1990 cars came with the Ford Premium Am Fm Stereo/Cassette system.

According to the spec sheet (again) ~ the 1984 & 1985 Capri SC 5.0 2-Seat Roadsters came with the Ford Am Fm Stereo/Cassette & Prem audio system. The 1984,85 & 86 Coupes came with the Kenwood (1984/1985) and the 1986 with the Alpine 7272. The EuroCoupes came with a hole in the dash, and the FoMoCo instsalled "Radio Preperation Pkg." (Antenna, Wiring, speakers, etc, etc.) The GPIV came with the FoMoCo Am/Fm Prem Stereo & cassette.

So sayeth the holy grail spec sheet.......

==============================================
Additional Notes From Sandy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spoke with Hank Huisman tonight and asked him about the wood trim around the stereo, to match the wood trim around the info center below the stereo. Hank says that is the way the 1984 & 1985s came. They had the Am Fm Stereo Delete and ascMcLaren fitted them with an aftermarket premium stereo with Cassette, and the wood went around their background and was OEM ascMcLaren installed. Not wanting to be bothered with warrantee returns, in 1986 they switched to getting the cars with the factory Ford Am Fm Stereo/Cassette, and that piece of wood would no longer fit the application.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased some new (old) books regarding 1980-1986 Capris and I have found the answer to the Stereo Delete Rear Speaker question !

COPY:
(58V) Radio Flexibility Option ............................................. $ 65.00
(Includes two front speakers installed at factory, quarter trim panel punched for rear speakers, all required wiring, including that required for rear speakers, radio noise suppression equipment, mounting brackets, knobs and speaker wiring adaptors, antenna and antenna base.)

(Available only in combination with (58Y) Am Fm Stereo DELETE
........................................ - $148.00 (cr.)

So.....the washout was a credit of $ 83.00.
Looks like ascMcLaren received the cars ready to receive the Kenwood or Alpine 7272 as apop-in and those Kenwood speakers went over the allready punched quarter trim panels, the antenna went on as well the base, and we had music at Autry Avenue in Livonia !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ascMcLaren Info and Resources All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: