ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coupe Quarter Window Weatherstripping Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Coupe Quarter Window Weatherstripping Replacement Reply with quote

Anyone that is restoring their asc Coupe's blackout quarter windows and get the weatherstripping from Hank needs to know a few things.

The stuff is simply channel weatherstripping and probably was sourced from JCW. The width is ok, it's the thickness of the BASE which causes a bunch of headaches.

Get a Wile E. Coyote sharp knife. The kind in the cartoons which can cleanly cut a single strand of hair in two....lengthwise. Start trimming the bottom side of the weatherstripping. When your done it will look like hell but that goes in the channel and cannot be seen. Expect to spend 2 hours per side trimming off a layer on the bottom.

Cut a length for the bottom channel. Fit it in the channel. Fit the rest in the back and top channel. Cut both pieces to be pointed where they will go in the back most pointed corner.

Keep the outer edge of the weatherstripping sufficiently above the edge of the frame. It is possible to push it farther down into the channel after the plexiglass is installed.

Lube up the bottom ege of the plexiglas with soap or something.

Say about 4 or 5 curse words to get your mouth warmed up.

Start sliding the plexiglass in and hold it down from popping up. If the bottom edge pops out of the weatherstripping, curse, then start from the beginning again.

Slide it in until the top of the plexiglas is near the frame and make sure it starts feeding correctly at the top. The first time you get close, the bottom edge will pop out. Curse again and start over.

When the top is started in but before the back edge has mated, pull the weatherstripping out of the channel and mate it to the plexiglass.

Push the plexiglass in a bit more until the weatherstripping starts into the back channel.

Then get 2 hammers or mallets (one wooden handle). Put the wooden handled hammer against the edge of the plexiglass and tap the head with the other hammer. Adust the rear edge weatherstripping as you go. Tap the Plexiglass as far as it will go.

After the plexiglas was in place, I went around and pushed in the weatherstrip so only a 1/8" to 1/16" bead was left all the way around.

When all done it looked first rate! But what a PITA! If anybody sources "thinner" channel weatherstripping in the correct size. Let us know!

Oh yeah, try and not get the inside of the plexiglass too dirty....I got some dirt on the LH side that will be there forever. It's not visible outside the car but you can see it from the inside.

-Mike

Last edited by negusm on Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
jeffmclaren

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just getting ready to look for some of that stuff, and i will agree that it would be hell if the weatherstripping was too thick Twisted Evil
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent Hank a note about it.

Maybe he has an idea for some different stuff.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a response from Hank.

It seems he found out about it and has thinner stuff.

Well, then I guess this whole thread is MOOT!

-Mike
jeffmclaren

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: