ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sandy, Let's discuss interior door bezels....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Sandy, Let's discuss interior door bezels.... Reply with quote

Interior Door handles and power window and lock bezels.

Which got the Chrome and which got the Black for 85 and 85 Capri GS and RS cars?

Somehow I'm stiff confused.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS cars were SUPPOSED to get chrome bezels for power window & door locks (if so equipped) and door handle plates.

In RS cars these items were flat black.
Since the ascMcLarens were crafted on the RS, they too were to be flat black.

MY car came with all flat black, except the passenger's door sported chrome door handle surround plate (plastic). I ordered the flat black one and it came in in 2 days. When I returned to pick up my license plates and title from Motor Vehicle at the dealer, they switched them for me.

Thereafter I've had no further communication or dealing with them, nor have I been back. In 2015 I'll be going back for my 1,000 mile oil change Shocked

Serioisly now, they were not overly nice to me. I offered a buy offer of a profit of $500.00. I also knew that, being in early November of 1985 that they had allready received their $3,000 hold-back on the car and they were hitting me with a $89.00 "DOC" fee, so it was a very respectible deal for them. The salesgal wrote it up and took it in for OKAY from the Sales Manager. He came out & hit me with a $500.00 Boost! I walked out. The salesgal came after me & hauled my tush back in and they took my offer. They had a big cardboard stand up sign on the floor of a car like mine, but in Navy with the orange stripes. I asked to have it. I was told "NO" ... I said that they had NO McLarens left to advertise...so why couldn't I have it? They stayed at "NO" ~ I didn't get it. When I returned a week later to get the plates & title it was gone. I asked my salesgal & she said that the boss had thrown it out, after I left ! Nice foks!

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, then why do the fact books for 85 and 86 show the GS as having the chrome interior bezels AND for the RS(5.0L)?

They specifically say "No Change" in 1986 (revised editon):
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Literature/DealerOnly/86_Mercury_ProductFactsBook_09.jpg

For 1985 the GS says it chomes with chrome:
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Literature/DealerOnly/85_Mercury_ProductFactsBook_05.jpg

But the page for RS doesn't mention anything about "Black"!
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Literature/DealerOnly/85_Mercury_ProductFactsBook_06.jpg

Could this be why we see sooooo many weird combinations of bezels on cars?

(ya I kind of let you walk into this one...I figured it would make for a more interesting discussion) Very Happy

-Mike

Last edited by negusm on Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you see the note next to that $500 he tact on the invoice? It said "includes ascMcLaren sign"! You refused the $500 so NO SIGN 4 you!

But yeah, I hear ya. Being a car guy, they should know better than to pull that junk with you.

I love the internet. On our last two cars we printed out the factory costs and took it in and beat them over the head with it until we were thrown out or got to within $500.

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facts books often have errors.
Being a brochure collector, the 1976 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham illustrated in dark chocolate brown with beige roof has a dent in the passenger's front door.

The same brochure uses a photo of the interior of a 1975 Imperial, rather than a 1976 New Yorker.

I could go on. there are many many many errors in printed material.
What I typed above is the correct way. Chrome on ther GS / Flat black on the RS. Flat black was seen as "sporty" ~ Chome was seen as "Luxury" (But you know all that)

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's interesting to me is how it looks like it was wrong in print for 2 years though....and I see alot of "RS/5.0L" cars with interior chrome bezels with everything else just right.

HOWEVER, I was looking a bit further and I see the 1985 advanced product facts booklet has it right...

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Literature/DealerOnly/85_AdvancedProductHighlights_05.jpg

Shrug Weird!

Edit: Oh wait...I wonder if the door handles and lock cylinders refers to the exterior....but they put it in the interior section.

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the door handles and lock cylinders refers to the exterior....but they put it in the interior section.

CORRECT, they put it in the wrong place!

Check your Mustang Book. I recall it's correct in there..... Rolling Eyes

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Check your Mustang Book. I recall it's correct in there..... Rolling Eyes

The Mustang books are good indicators of what should have been on the Capris but I don't like to refer to the Mustang stuff too much as they had differences from the Capri those years too.

Notably, the Mustang had no TRX wheel offering in 85 while the 85 GS Capri coud get it as an option.

But yeah, it would make sense that the bezels would follow the same deal as the Mustang GT/LX.

-Mike
85McLaren

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here we go again with the famous Capri mis-matches.... Laughing

But,
I have personally owned 2 1986 Capri 5.0's Both of mine had chrome bezels. My buddy has also owned a 1986 Capri 5.0. He also had chrome bezel. Our cars were ordered very weird. Remember back in the day when you could individualize everything instead of buying an option pack (despite what the brochures said).

My friends was a factory non A/C, power locks, power windows.

One of mine was a t-top, A/C, power windows, but MANUAL LOCKS. (Came from the factory like that)....

I have also owned 2 1986 mustang GT's. Both had black bezels....

Jason
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I brought it up is I just started watching 85 and 86 Capri 5.0/RS cars coming and going here and there and it seems that most seem to be showing the chrome bezels....I'm still not sure what to make of it.

I gave away all my nearly perfect chrome bezels to a guy here in NC with a Crimson Cat....

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's wrong. Think about it. Chrome = Luxury (Capri GS) and Black-out = performance (Capri RS). Factory workers were too busy yacking to care, to them it was all the same siht. Flat Black is also correct for ascMcLarens

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't have been a ds32 build order to swap the chrome bezels to the black style would it?

I went back through all the RS/5.0 pictures I have of exceptionally stock cars and the ones on FEP and cannot come up with a black bezel example...of any 85-86 RS/5.0 (or GS) Capri.

I looked at the asc Coupes and it seems hit or miss. Most have the black bezels but several do not.

The data books say they stopped differentiating between the dash bezels too in 85 and 86. Both the GS and RS/5.0 got the aircraft style dash bezels. It almost seems like they were trying to "homologize" the interior.

Ok, I'm sure I've annoyed Sandy enough for one topic. I'll be quiet now. Just more pesky things that bug me. Very Happy

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have NEVER seen ANY RS with chrome bezels ! I have seen one (1) ascMcLaren Coupe with chrome door lock and Power Window Lock chrome bezels, but black door handle bezels. All the rest were black.
My own came in with (1) black door handle bezel (2) black Pwr. window bezels (2) black Power Door Lock Bezels, so....whaich one do you think was wrong? The 4 window & lock bezels & the 1 door handle bezel....*OR* the sole chrome door handle bezel?

1 guy made 1 error or 5 guys made 5 errors ?

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...it was this car on this new page I just made that bugged me. Look at the 1985 5.0L.

It was an ultra low mileage car on ebay and it looks too perfect to be restored or fixed up with the wrong interior bezels....

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/OtherCars/Capris/Capris.htm

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that Black Magic. Perhaps my favorite Capri, a 24 week car. Sept 82 thru Dec 82. That one looks like a garage queen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: