ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sandy, Let's discuss interior door bezels....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
75coug

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
I'm positive that the White ended with the final year of the hatchback prior to the bubble-window hatchback...

And that's a shame. I would love to some day have a white Black Magic with the bubbleback. Alas, it is not to be.

1989 ascMcLaren convertible - royal gold
1986 ascMcLaren convertible - red
1984 ascMcLaren convertible - white
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Black Magic Reply with quote

ponydude wrote:
You guys are great. I thoroughly enjoy the support from this group. I would really like to add the Black Magic to my collection. Unfortunately, I'm pretty close to my financial (or practical) limit.
Checked the FEP post and am watching all input there and here. Any further comments or suggestions on this auction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again for support for this and on the "flooded vert".

So since you WON that car, when is it coming to NC?

And when can I come see it? Shocked Shocked Shocked

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
ponydude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as all the arrangements are made, I'll let you know when It's scheduled to be here. I'm really anxious to see it (and drive it) myself.
What is your honest opinion of the price?
By the way, I don't remember ever seeing one "in the flesh", only hearing about them. About three years ago, my son and I saw an older White one. 74-78?, in Morganton. It was really sharp.
Thanks again for all of the support from you guys and the guys at FEP.
'81 T-Top Coupe
2-'84 1/2 GT 350's 5.0 5speeds, 1 T-Top
'95 Mustang GTS
'83 Black Magic
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, cheap. You have an instant show car for $3k.

Any car that needs restoration will run you far in excess of that amount.

So yeah, I think you got a really good buy.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sandy...an 84 RS....with guess what?

http://www.foureyedpride.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15460

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it supposed to have the red to orange fade "RS" on the front fenders?? Somehow I don't recall THAT on the RS, or am I really getting old?

Yes, I see, chrome beeezzzels, in every posistion, BUT, fact reamins that you are only posting cars WITH chrome bezels! Photos you find with flat black you are attaching viruses to! Laughing

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Is it supposed to have the red to orange fade "RS" on the front fenders?? Somehow I don't recall THAT on the RS, or am I really getting old?

Yes, I see, chrome beeezzzels, in every posistion, BUT, fact reamins that you are only posting cars WITH chrome bezels! Photos you find with flat black you are attaching viruses to! Laughing

Well thats the thing....I haven't found any yet with black bezels....none! I would post examples but couldn't find any when I started actively looking!

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How arrested do you think I'd get, if I walked by a 1984-1986 Capri, with it's windows closed, and I put a camera against the window & took pics theu the window of the interior of someone's car??

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
How arrested do you think I'd get, if I walked by a 1984-1986 Capri, with it's windows closed, and I put a camera against the window & took pics theu the window of the interior of someone's car??

Just leave a note. Happens to my dad and his car all the time. People are always asking questions...taking pictures...he even gets notes from "young ladies" asking for a ride (we get a good laugh out of those). It baffles me as its a 67 Mustang vert with a 6cyl...and its dark green metallic.

-Mike
ponydude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Black Magic also has chrome bezels. If you remember back in the day Mercury was a step up from a Ford and Lincoln was a step above that. So in fact I would believe that Mercury would have used chrome bezels to uphold their step above Ford status.
'81 T-Top Coupe
2-'84 1/2 GT 350's 5.0 5speeds, 1 T-Top
'95 Mustang GTS
'83 Black Magic
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I'd say maybe it was part of the D32ascMcLaren code ~ but I can't say that, as I have seen MANY 1985/1986 Capri 5.0 / RS with the charcoal switch-gear inside as well as finishing plates.

Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a GS with black door handles

Euro#13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense Sandy, but I rarely consider factory brochure pictures as "proof" that something is "correct".
Although generally they are mostly truthfull, so many of the photos used were of pre-production cars and many of them are even re-touched photos.

I could point out several things wrong with the '85 Cougar brochure that were not actually done when on the production car. Wink

Brent
Former owner of EuroCoupe #13
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 5-speed; 1 of 7,860
1971 Ford Ranchero; 1 of 2,595
Hi-Jumper mid-engine sandrail w/2.3 turbo
Euro#13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the sales brochures, the data books, and even the window stickers, it seems like the discrepancies are never ending and 20+ years after the vehicle was produced it makes it a little difficult to prove one way or the other what was original or not.
Sandy's coupe being an exception of course......... Smile

Here is a perfect example of a possible problem, which is actually a true story that happened at the FLM dealership I used to work at.

They sold two ’93 F-150 Lighting’s for that first year of SVT, one to me (the Red one) and another to a local man in his late sixties. (the Black one).

About a week after he bought his Black Lighting, he was back at the dealership complaining that he had been ripped off. The window sticker on his truck clearly stated that it was to have chrome side mirrors and color keyed side moldings and his truck had plain black mirrors and NO side moldings. This of course was because the Lighting had all of the standard equipment of an XLT package, and the window sticker listed it that way.
For the typical performance buyer that the truck was marketed to this “error” was completely understandable. But this guy bought this truck to use it as a truck, because it had the most powerful engine you could get in a ˝ ton 2wd truck, and it came with a 4:10 traction-lock rear. It would be perfect for towing his trailer.
He was a long time customer and to keep him happy, they swapped out the black mirrors for chrome ones, and installed the side moldings on his truck at no charge. To this day, he still believes that it should have come that way because the window sticker said so.

Fast forward to 15 years later and the truck finds a new buyer who wants to restore it and he is a little confused because of this and since he bought it from the original owner’s family it must be correct. Hey, even the reproduction window sticker that he bought shows them on there so it must be correct, or maybe he has one of those exclusive 1 of 1 “production error” trucks. It all makes sense now, this truck must have been built on the production line this way because why would someone have ever gone though the trouble of changing those items to chrome in the first place.

Of course the last paragraph is completely hypothetical, but I think you can easily see how this could happen with someone trying to restore a vehicle and they have this kind of scenario to deal with.

Just some food for thought.

Brent
Former owner of EuroCoupe #13
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 5-speed; 1 of 7,860
1971 Ford Ranchero; 1 of 2,595
Hi-Jumper mid-engine sandrail w/2.3 turbo
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent, I was just kidding with the brochure! I know all of what you said pertaining to that to be true!
How True?
I actually used to belong to a club of guys that would rush out and get the new sales brochures every year and then we'd look for errors. It was great fun. After about 4 to 6 years we began loosing interest.....and it ended. The single brochure with the most errors is the 1976 Chrysler New Yorker brochure! In many of the pics they used a 1975 Imperial - it and the 1976 New Yorker were 95% identical, yet in every picture there are errors if it is (and it was) depicting a '76 New Yorker. So bad was this brochure in air brushing department, that in one photo the "New Yorker" was wearing the Imperial's Hood EAGLE emblem! The double page spread "feature" car, a dark brown 4-Dr Hdt. N.Y. is a real picture. The pictured car has a small dent in the front passenger side door!!
So, 'ya - I was tryig to kid Mike.

When I sold Dodges (1968-1996) we frequently got "same cars" in with mismatched emblems. A Diplomat that said Gran Fury on the other side was (almost ) normal. We stocked Diplomat namepllate emblems....
Omni that said Horizon on the deck lid, and a Magnum that said Cordoba on the dash, but the one that could not be fixed and Chrysler had to buy it back, was a Diplomat Brougham with Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue Interior. The 5th Ave had a standard Power Pass. seat. Our car had the buttons on the Pass. seat, but no wiring, as the Dodge only offered the Driver seat Power, and there was no provision for wiring on the pass. side.... 'Ya, there were some reall weirdos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: