ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OSHA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfs2121

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: OSHA Reply with quote

does anyone know if OSHA can really actuly MAKE you whare safty glasses. like whats the big deal? i get more stuff in my eye with them then with out them.

OSHA showed up at my shop today. they said its a $1500 fine for each guy with out them. why cant it just be by choice?

has anyone delt wiht OSHA in the past?
tfs2121

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more thing i hate OSHA
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes they can.

More importantly thy can shut your employer down.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
tfs2121

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just dont get why. i know working in a shop is not safe. but guess what lots of jobs are dangerous. i smoke cigarettes i know they can kill me... and i cant get fined for doing it.

its just stupid. what happend to being free. yet for 12 hours a day i have to have stupid glasses on my face. agenst what i want. what gives them the right...
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unions fought for it a long time ago.

It's better that you are given the chance to protect yourself than your employer deciding that the loss in productivity is not worth your safety.

I don't think OSHA would fine you, they would fine your employer for not training you to do your job safely.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, on a day off of work, take yourself to a local decent sized hospital, go in and go to the cancer center. Ask a rep to acompany you to the infusion center. walk through it, slowly & look around. When you get back to your car, you will throw the butts out the window for good. You will have nightmares that night. It will be well worth them.

I am beginning to slowly enjoy life again. I am on my 2nd lifetime. I am one of the few lucky ones. I was Stage 4. 20 percent make it back from
stage 4. It took 18 months, over 1,600 hours of chemo, unable to work or play, for 18 months, spent indoors, feeling to sick to do anything.
Chills, vomiting, tHe ShAkEs, trembling, freezing cold in July, all food tastes lousey, Awakening at 4AM, from dreams of death, howling wolf dreams, awakening at 4 AM and hugging my wife, thinking it might be the last nite together, 4-ever. Numb fingers, unable to hold anything, asking for help to pull a tab on a can of soda, unable to twist of a plastic cap off a
coke, as you have absolutely zero feeling in your toes & in your fingers. I had to ask my wife to tear off a bunch of toilet paper and hand it to me before I went into the crapper, because I could not feel the toilet paper! Hell I could not even feel a drinking glass, I had to hold it with 2 hands andI had a great fear of leaving the house, due to sudden diareaha !
Peter,
are you ready for this? If you lose your insurance, it will cost you or your family a 1/2 million dollars to fight Cancer.

R-U ready, for that ? QUIT cigarettes tomorrow,

I can talk. I made it, all the way back. I was 60 days from CERTAIN death, Stage 4 Liver Cancer Okay?
Today I am 100% CLEAN - as in ZERO Cancer.
LUNG CANCER IS WORSE !! Those victims cannot talk, can't breath on their own, need machines. 18% beat it !!

How bad was it?

I give away all of my cars, not to go through it again.
The pain, the sadness, the fear, the worry is unspeakable ! QUIT NOW !!
Just frickin' do it !!!!! Go get hypnotised (Sp) ?

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
rod442

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you think you get more stuff in your eyes with safety glasses on; maybe you do. Untill they one time that they stop something big and sharp and fast from getting in there. Or a chemical, or somehting hot.

Friend of mine works at a ford dealer, and the only time he had to go to the emergency room for somehting in his eye, was when he skipped his safety glasses. Using a wire wheel, or a bench grinder (I forget), and a few metal shavings went in his eye. He was lucky, no bad damage, they were small bits.

Only takes one time to go blind.
2000 Formula m6 INCONTT
1988 Mustang LX 5LTRLX
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear Them When Doing WORK.

I wear Glass, And could wear contacts or have surgury but have decided not to Because I know I would not want to wear safety glass at work. It 's Not the small stuff that is the problem It s the Chemicals and large stuff that the lens save ya from.

Ps. Last year my glasses saved me from a Major spash of gas to the eyes. Which was caused by somebody else doing something wrong.

OSHA is truely a good thing in the long run.
tfs2121

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have got gas in my eyes with them on. i just dont like them. i dont have glasses and if i did i would still have to get perscription saftly glasses.

if your not being a dumbass its real easy to stay safe. but if your sticking your face into something when your grinding your just dumb.

also we will be requierd to have them on whenever in the shop. working or not working.

i thought there might be ways around it. im sure im not the first person to not want them. the OSHA guy told me that they are #2 on the list right behind the IRS.

i guess if i am stuck having to do it does anyone know whare i can get safty glasses with a metal frame?
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, the modern safety glasses are so non-intrusive, I don't really see your objection as being valid.

She doesn't look too uncomfortable in hers:

-Mike
85McLaren

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of it is an insurance issue. If I wear glasses, they probably won't ever have to pay a hostpical bill. If I don't, they might get slapped with thousands of dollars in medical bills. I realize we are talking about OSHA, but this is close to the same reason why employers make safety regulations mandatory. As sad as it is, it is not that they care about your personal well-being. It is to save them possible future insurance money.

Jason
tfs2121

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comfortable to me is nothing on my face... i guess im stuck with them.

even when our insurance company comes in they dont freek out if we dont have glasses on.

i guess you guys have made your point. no way around it. so does anyone know whare i can get a nice quality pair. something thats not a plastic frame.
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Guys I work with like the plastic frame glasses. Just keep trying them on till you find some you like
75coug

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfs2121 wrote:
i just dont get why. i know working in a shop is not safe. but guess what lots of jobs are dangerous. i smoke cigarettes i know they can kill me... and i cant get fined for doing it.

its just stupid. what happend to being free. yet for 12 hours a day i have to have stupid glasses on my face. agenst what i want. what gives them the right...

Here's why: Let's say that you don't wear them and suffer a serious eye injury. All of a sudden, you wouldn't be saying that it's stupid. Instead, you would be making a claim against your employer for not making you wear them.

As someone who used to do insurance defense legal work, I have seen millions of dollars paid to plaintiffs who thought that it was stupid to wear eye protection, head protection or tie-offs during work at excessive heights. Once they were hurt, they shifted the blame to their employer for "failure to train" (e.g., "they didn't make me wear my protection").

Are you and your union willing to agree that you alone are on the hook if you get hurt while not wearing safety glasses? Of course not.

1989 ascMcLaren convertible - royal gold
1986 ascMcLaren convertible - red
1984 ascMcLaren convertible - white
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, it's also like wearing seat belts.

It's kind of annoying at first but after you use it for a month, it will be second nature and you will feel "naked" when working without them.

-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: