Joined: 25 Aug 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
|Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:10 am Post subject: ascMcLaren V6 Roadsters
|1986 ascMcLaren 3.8SC 2-Seat Roadster
From Sandy Block:
A different version of the ascMclaren was made to appeal to the type of woman
that did not need or want the performance of the 302 Cu. In. V-8 and could not
grasp the $24,000 price tag. Therefore, for a brief time ascMcLaren offered the
3.8Litre SC version. Herewith (most?) facts:-
* 3.8 Litre V-6 ( 3.8 Cu. In.) *
* 4-Speed Automatic is only Transmission - Selectshift *
* 3.8SC emblem on deck lid, instead of 5.0SC
* Wood trim on interior removed, Incl. Dash
* Low Level (Base Model) seats are used. with applied adjustable Headrests * From the Capri GS *
* ascMcLaren - covered leather is Standard in ONLY Regatta Bue *
* Single left-side under bumper tailpipe
* Standard '86 Capri Interior Door Panels
* The car retained the leather wheel & shifter
* The car retained the Air Horns.
* ONLY Atlantic Blue tops & trim. (Interior) Available*
* Car used stock Capri center console
* Oversized Tires that came with the V-8
* 2.73:1 Axle Ratio replaced the 3.08
* Exterior Paint Colors
* Only Exterior Colors Allowed were:
Paris Blue Metallic; Sterlling Silver Metallic; or
Keweenau White. *
* Headlight & Taillight covers were also included *
* The front ground effects also featured the Fog Lights, BUT they were
* All had color keyed "spokes" with a polished aluminum rim. * The spokes came in Paris or Atlantic Blue, Silver or White. The wheels were the same as the gold rims fitted on these cars.
I have no information as to how much less money this vehicle was when compared to the V-8' *
ANOTHER point...Each of these wore color-keyed "spokes" on the wheels,
Paris Blue was the most srtriking as these wheel were NOT avaible on other 1986 ascMclarens, ever the "regular 1986 Capri ascMclaren 'Verts IN Paris blue.
Ditto the Atlantic Blue Spoke wheels on Atlantic Blue cars were only on these Spring Special edition 3.8 Six Cyl examples.
The white cars wore the solid all white wheels as were on the regular '86 ascMcLaren ASC White Coupes, and ditto the Silver rims from the Silver 1986 COUPES painted Silver, made their way onto the '86 Sterling Silver Spring Specials.
I was told 38 of therse 3.8 units were made., meaning 207 were the full packaged 5.0 litre 'Verts, and 38 were 3.8 'Verts = 245 in total.
It was said that these 38 were "gifts" from ascMcLaren to Mercury dealers.
Here is why.... the Extra items for these Spring Specials were listed on the ascMcLaren supplemental window sticker for around $3,000 extra, but on the dealers invoce, they were also listed, and in the amount column was printed N/C for NO CHARGE, SOooo, the buyer saw a car that was $3,000 higher, but it was NO charge to the dealer, more than likely making a big gross profit on the end-of-the-run Mercury ascMcLarens, thusly the "Thanks".
1985 ascMcLaren Coupe - Midnight Blue