ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Silver Notch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoutdrivinrebel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: My Silver Notch Reply with quote

For the first time in a long time, I do not own a Mustang. Sold my 93 37,000 mile Silver Notchback tonight. Wasn't pushing to sell it very hard, and probably let it go for too little money (the guy jumped on it pretty quick), but now I can move on to something else. I have a little sellers remorse (I always do), so this post is a little therapeutic.

On a side note, the guy who bought the coupe loved the McLaren and Lightning.
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

How could a Ford person not love a lighting or Mclaren

So is there a late Christmas present coming Wink
scoutdrivinrebel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumkrazy wrote:
Crying or Very sad

How could a Ford person not love a lighting or Mclaren

So is there a late Christmas present coming Wink

Yeah, this dude was a major car guy. A dealer, painter, etc etc. He'll probably flip the car and make money, but he said he was keeping it. I'll probably never find another one like it, but I still have #77, #3032, and my Scout to play with. Yes, as my wife said tonight, the spot in the garage is only temporarily available for her car. I'm sure I'll find something else soon. I've wanted a GT-500 since seeing the first magazine articles back in 06, but that new 5.0 2011 model looks sweet also. Just wish they'd make a coupe again.
75coug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to read that you sold it. We all know those feelings of seller's remorse.

Where did you have the coupe listed for sale? I'm surprised that I didn't see it, as I scour the usual listings on a daily basis.

1989 ascMcLaren convertible - royal gold
1986 ascMcLaren convertible - red
1984 ascMcLaren convertible - white
scoutdrivinrebel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75coug wrote:

Where did you have the coupe listed for sale? I'm surprised that I didn't see it, as I scour the usual listings on a daily basis.

On Craigslist. Only place I offically listed it. I guess in a way I didn't think it would sell there. Hated to see it go. So had so many tire kickers, low ball offers, and dreamersI can't count. I actually had a guy offer me $3000 a few weeks ago, and he was serious. Uh...NO!

Is this bad weather gonna clear up this weekend? If so, let's get the Capris out of hibernation and cruise around one night.
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"" had so many tire kickers, low ball offers, and dreamersI can't count. I actually had a guy offer me $3000 a few weeks ago, and he was serious. Uh...NO! ""

...... Not to cry - but can you imagine doing that for living? Well, I did it for 27 years, and smile as I did, I can say now that 86% of the people who come into a showroom are as stupid as a block of wood, ultra cheap, and lack any molucule of class. They try to get the price lower with lies & insults and believe me, I threw out my share.
They think the salesperson is making thousands in commissions on their sorry butts, but - in fact, one is lucky to make a commission of $ 100.00 on a sale of a twenty or thirty thousand dollar item, and then - unklike you selling a used car, privately, WE have to live with the customer for the life of the factory warrantee, as anytime they have a car problem, they come in to see their SALESMAN, and expect him to make everything right. MOST commissions are under fifty bucks !!
So, now you can see the "show" from the other side of the fence, and no, customers are dumb and arrogant, and would not believe you if you told them the sky is blue on a sunny day!
Furthermore, they will sell ya down the river for $20 bucks.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
scoutdrivinrebel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
"" had so many tire kickers, low ball offers, and dreamersI can't count. I actually had a guy offer me $3000 a few weeks ago, and he was serious. Uh...NO! ""

...... Not to cry - but can you imagine doing that for living? Well, I did it for 27 years, and smile as I did, I can say now that 86% of the people who come into a showroom are as stupid as a block of wood, ultra cheap, and lack any molucule of class. They try to get the price lower with lies & insults and believe me, I threw out my share.
They think the salesperson is making thousands in commissions on their sorry butts, but - in fact, one is lucky to make a commission of $ 100.00 on a sale of a twenty or thirty thousand dollar item, and then - unklike you selling a used car, privately, WE have to live with the customer for the life of the factory warrantee, as anytime they have a car problem, they come in to see their SALESMAN, and expect him to make everything right. MOST commissions are under fifty bucks !!
So, now you can see the "show" from the other side of the fence, and no, customers are dumb and arrogant, and would not believe you if you told them the sky is blue on a sunny day!
Furthermore, they will sell ya down the river for $20 bucks.

No doubt Sandy, I hate dealing with people when selling a car.
tfs2121

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oy vey sandy. this week i have been the manager at my shop. my boss (the owner) went on vacation and left the #1 Tuffy Auto Service Center in the company to me... a 23 year old kid.

that being said... he can have the job back. holy crap! i cant beleave the daisy people in this world. i had a lady blame us for her brake light bulbs going out 2 months after we did brakes on her car! 2 F'n months! and when she came in she was not nice or calm. she right away started yelling. like that is going to get you some whare.

the guy on the other end of the counter is your friend. stupid.
75coug

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoutdrivinrebel wrote:
75coug wrote:

On Craigslist. Only place I offically listed it. I guess in a way I didn't think it would sell there. Hated to see it go. So had so many tire kickers, low ball offers, and dreamersI can't count. I actually had a guy offer me $3000 a few weeks ago, and he was serious. Uh...NO!

Is this bad weather gonna clear up this weekend? If so, let's get the Capris out of hibernation and cruise around one night.

What is the weather supposed to do? Maybe I could fetch the '85 bubbleback out of storage if it is going to be dry.

75coug

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Well, I did it for 27 years, and smile as I did, I can say now that 86% of the people who come into a showroom are as stupid as a block of wood, ultra cheap, and lack any molucule of class. They try to get the price lower with lies & insults and believe me, I threw out my share. [/b]

It works both ways; 86% of the salesmen that I come across are lying scum whose attempts at deception are laughable.

I bet that everyone on this board who has tried to buy a car has had this same experience numerous times. Three months ago, I found a car in which I was interested. The asking price was $40k. My research showed that it was worth $35k.

I looked at the car, was satisfied with it and told the salesman that I was not going to play the negotiation game. It was worth $35k, and that's what I would pay. At this point, if the salesman had simply told me that he wanted to try to get more for it, I would have respectfully thanked him for his time and been on my way.

But no, he had to lie to me about and put on the hard sell. He said that he already had an offer of $39k, and that if I wanted any chance at the car I would need to offer more than that immediately. Yeah, right.

The months passed, and the car remained on the lot. Not too long ago, I saw that the asking price had dropped to $38k. Gee, what happened to the $39k offer that he had on it? Regardless, I e-mailed the same salesman and told him that I would still give him $35k for it.

A counteroffer of $36,250 came back quickly. I reiterated that the car was worth $35k. His response was that he had paid $x for the car (it is used) and that I needed to help him make a certain amount of profit on it. Now that took balls. He is in the car business and should know what to pay for trades. So even if he was not making a profit on a $35k price (and he may very well have been lying about what he paid for it), that isn't my problem. I am there to pay fair market value, not to ensure sufficient profit for the seller.

Anyway, a couple of days passed and the salesman got back to me again. He would take the $35k. I said fine, I cannot make it over there right away, but would come by in two days to complete the deal. Well, needing to sneak in one last salesman trick, he told me that he had another customer who really wanted the car coming in the next morning, and that if I still wanted it, I needed to give him a $1000 deposit to hold the car and the price.

That pissed me off so much that I told him to go ahead sell the car to the phantom customer. He then tried to backtrack, but it was too late. I had put up with enough of his garbage. I told him that if the car is still on the lot in a few days, I might stop by.

Sandy, if my refusal to pay more for a car than the market says it is worth makes me stupid, cheap or classless, I can live with it.

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75Coug, like you said, it works both ways. Those tricks that salesman used probably works on 85% of the buyers out there. So he makes more money pulling that crap.

His problem was that he he never developed any skills at sizing up his customer. He doesn't know how to separate the morons from the straight shooters and treat them accordingly.

I have been in both situations...respectful negotiations and the hard sell. The hard sell guys I turn into fools. As they try to work the "numbers", I start taking pieces of the deal off the table to force them to work only from the factory invoice. The insults come quick and fast as they get frustrated. All they have to do is say "no".

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert, the system you encountered at that dealership is just that, "A SYSTEMS HOUSE" ~ You'll find these most often at either BIG MEGA dealerships, OR at H.H.s (Highway Houses) located on 60 M.P.H. highways. A system's House *IS* a whore house, not only to customers BUT also to salesmen. They work that way, because they are instructed to do it that way, not that we WANT to. To avoid such:
1) Go to smaller or "in town" dealerships
2) Look for ones that do little to no advertising
(They rely on good word of mouth & past customers recomendations)

I personally never worked for one of them, nor did my friends in the business. I did not need an ulcer !!

But, on the other side of the coin, buyers are liars, too.
Story:
I get a customer (this in 1999) and he's got a business card from a competitor (DODGE DEALER) on the back of the salesman's card is written a price.
He hands ME the card to see. It's one of my good friends. We lunch togerther! Customer tells me that is the price and he hands me a list of options on a car. I figure my cost. His #s are $310.00 UNDER the car's INVOICE. I excuse myself & go out into the shop & telephone my friend.
He tells me that he NEVER EVER puts any price on the back of his card, and especially that jerk. He further tells me that he almost showed him the door.
We make a Pizza date for dinner, and I hang up.
Back on the showroom floor, I politly tell the guy that I cannot meet that price and I thank him for giving me an opportunity to make a sale, I walk to the door & open it for him and he leaves.

2 weeks later he is back. He buys from me, for $750.00 more than his fake figure on the back of my friend's business card.

I guess he liked me so much that he was willing to pay me $750.00 more money. Rolling Eyes
But, it does pay to be nice. I made a whooping fifty dollars on the deal.

I used this "They try to get the price lower with lies & insults" which many do, as why I used liars & classless.
There is no reason to be insulting to any salesperson, whther it's Real Estate, stock borker, car salesman or whatever else. It *IS* low class to be insulting to someone whom you do not know on a personal basis who is working and to whom a person is a customer thereof.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
scoutdrivinrebel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75coug wrote:
What is the weather supposed to do? Maybe I could fetch the '85 bubbleback out of storage if it is going to be dry.

I think it is going to be nice. Sure is nice today. I just took #77 to the gym and for a short cruise. Let me know if you want to meet up tomorrow sometime.

75coug wrote:
Three months ago, I found a car in which I was interested. The asking price was $40k. My research showed that it was worth $35k.

GT-500 Vert?
75coug

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.

As for tomorrow, I need to see whether my wife will cooperate.

75coug

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75coug wrote:
Yep.

As for tomorrow, I need to see whether my wife will cooperate.

She is not cooperating so far, as we have a list of things to get done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: