ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'85 white coupe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffmclaren

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: '85 white coupe? Reply with quote

Alright, i know that there were 60 white coupes made in '85, but i have NEVER seen one, or even a picture of one. How is that possible?

Anybody else?

60 cars vanish into thin air?
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mercurycapri.com/showroom/specials/ascgallery.html

This page has a few. From what Sandy has told me they have indeed evaporated compared to the blue cars.

I for one think that its because they are white cars. I know I'm probably going to get nailed on this but I think white is not a very "exciting" color and the tendency for people looking for a "hot car" get turned off by it. So the cars probably never got purchased by enthusiasts.

I've never been a big fan of white....and thats putting it mildly.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. There's not a single white '85 coupe on there! I too have wondered, but probably less than others, as I actually saw one AND spoke with th FEMALE owner. They can be told from 1986 White Coupes, by only one way: No center mounted stop light on the rear hatch. Otherwise, they are identical. They have white wheels, orange decals, ascMcLaren decal on hood, "mercury" in the grille, lack the lower ground effects stripe kit, but have the upper striipe. They have a build date between the last week of May and the end of July, 1985. For what it's worth ( ? ) someone at ASC had once (long ago) told me that "Most were sent to Mercury dealers that were near U.S. Bases here in America (Like Ft. Dix, as an example) and invitations to come & see it were sent to the bases. Now, the one I saw was no where near such a facility, but that was what one person told me. Again, Sadly, the listing of 1985s was destroyed by a fired employee, so we'll never be able to count them. The 150 figure (1985 Coupes made) was given to me by a former ascMcLaren (very very involved) person, right at the Livonia Avenue conversion plant at Autrey Avenue, likewise the 90/60 split of Dark Blue and White cars.

It is odd when you think that ONLY 3 (THREE) 1986 Coupes were made in "Platinum Silver Metallic" with Black striping kit and PAINTED Platinum Silver wheels, and I have located TWO or the THREE, and yet seen only one Oxford White 1985 Coupe !
Yet, again, I have NEVER found even one Regal Red 1987/1988 'Vert !!

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/

Last edited by Sandy on Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Nope. There's not a single white '85 coupe on there! I too have wondered, but probably less than others, as I actually saw one AND spoke with th FEMALE owner. They can be told from 1986 White Coupes, by only one way: No center mounted stop light on the rear hatch. Otherwise, they are identical.

Ahhh ok. Its an 86.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF anyone ever sees an 87 or 88 ascMcLaren Mustang (honeycomb wheels) in a burgundy metallic - let me know! THAT is either a 1987 or a 1988 in Regal Red Metallic. It's not real dark (like maroon) but more of a dark-red metallic. They usually had the tan roof & Sand Beige interior, allthough a few had the gray interior and a black roof. It's the sole color I've never seen or even located just one of.

Tom S.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a white '85 up here in MN but I lost track of it after awhile. It was pretty rough with a dubious history and I last saw it over 14 years ago, way before anybody would've thought about making one up.

'85 ASC Coupe #607910--sold and crushed RIP Crying or Very sad
'95 SVT Cobra--sold
'89 Oregon State Police SSP Mustang--sold
'86 LX 5.0 Coupe--sold
tfs2121

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
They have a build date between the last week of May and the end of July, 1985.

sandy you once told me my car was built in augest but i dont remember what number told you that how do i find out?... and for some resion i get a gut feeling that there were way less then 60 white 85 coupes... looks like we may never know..
Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Peter, we will never know. I am really happy I got outta them what I got, when I got it!

RARE-ASC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: '85 white coupe? Reply with quote

jeffmclaren wrote:
Alright, i know that there were 60 white coupes made in '85, but i have NEVER seen one, or even a picture of one. How is that possible?

Anybody else?

For real 60 white coupes? never heard of this is that # inc in the 150 total coupes? for 85?
2013 FORD F150 RAPTOR "TERRAIN TAN" 4X4 CREW CAB & LIFT ON 37s.
2016 SHELBY MUSTANG GT-H HERTZ EDITION #82 OF 171.
1995 F-350 CREW CAB DUALLY POWERSTROKE FULL BANKS KIT!
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '85 white coupe? Reply with quote

RARE-ASC wrote:
jeffmclaren wrote:

Anybody else?

For real 60 white coupes? never heard of this is that # inc in the 150 total coupes? for 85?

We don't know how many white coupes....150 is the total (white and blue) and it's Sandy's guess from talking with people is that 60 were white...so 90 blue...but we will probably never know for sure....I think it's possible because white cars tend to vanish.....my theory is that the color white is an unlucky survivor color.

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the number "60" came from ......

An employee at Livonia Ave Plant where the cars were converted had told me (this back around Nov of 1985) that they made ONLY the dark blue one until Memorial Day weekend, and when they returned after the wekend, they began making white ones. I asked if it was 100% whites from the holiday weekend until the final car, and he said No, there were a few dark blue ones that continued to get mixed in, but not too many. I asked him what the breakout was. He said he didn't know, but would find out. I called him again in less than a week and he said he asked the plant manager and was told 90/60 blue/white. That is how/why/where I got those numbers. I was never able to get a copy (or the original) Master Log, as I did from 1986 thru 1990. I personally have seen a definate 1985 white coupe (I spoke with owner) and another one that I saw on the Garden State Parkway, that may or may not have been owner made up.... at 75 MPH it's hard to see very much. Remember, at 60 units, that breaks out to just about 1 per state !

RARE-ASC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: '85 white coupe? Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
RARE-ASC wrote:
jeffmclaren wrote:

Anybody else?

We don't know how many white coupes....150 is the total (white and blue) and it's Sandy's guess from talking with people is that 60 were white...so 90 blue...but we will probably never know for sure....I think it's possible because white cars tend to vanish.....my theory is that the color white is an unlucky survivor color.

-Mike

Well i have got one hell-of-a nice survivor "WHITE" 85 ASC pace car i should feel lucky oh i just checked i do! Laughing AND COME TO THINK OF IT ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO AT A MUSTANG SHOW IN COMMERCE GA SAW A SUPER SLED WHITE 85 ASC COUPE GUESSED IT WAS 85 A CARB CAR AND NO 3RD BRAKE LIGHT...AND SAID TO MY WIFE MAN WHY DID HE CHANGE COLOR AND PAINT IT WHITE GUESS I WAS WRONG WAS MOST LIKELEY WHITE ALL ALONG!
2013 FORD F150 RAPTOR "TERRAIN TAN" 4X4 CREW CAB & LIFT ON 37s.
2016 SHELBY MUSTANG GT-H HERTZ EDITION #82 OF 171.
1995 F-350 CREW CAB DUALLY POWERSTROKE FULL BANKS KIT!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: