ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New guy, no Mclaren but....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mute

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: New guy, no Mclaren but.... Reply with quote

I just picked up an 87 mustang gt. Guy was trying to pass it off as a mclaren, but unless asc/mclaren did more than just verts, this one aint, its a ttop hatchback.

But!, it does have asc mclaren on the back qaurter windows, the sterring wheel and theres a badge right above the goloovebox. Im assuming these are real, maybe, just not real to my car.

I was looking at the vin series numbers that Sandy (thank you!) put in, by hand no less, and mine isnt there (until last friday I had no idea what a mclaren was).

Ill be posting pictures as soon as the rain quits, on thursday if Im lucky...

Anyway, here to find out more them and decide if Im keeping the steering wheel or selling it to someone doing a restore if it is indeed original. Kind of hesitant about getting rid of the 300 plate, dont wanna help anyone create an imposter.
darkhorse40

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sandy Does a great job of getting the info out.

He helped me with all the info on my car right up to when the car was built, when it was converted, and when it was returned to FOMOCO.

I'm sorry someone tried to pull a fast on you, but you should still enjoy your car while it is yours.

Many ascMcLarens come up for sale even though there aren't that many. I would continue the hunt for one. They are great cars, easy to work on, and always get people doing a double take. My friend saw it and said...

"mustangs aren't supposed to do that."

Good Luck - JL

1991 black on black on black 4 seater
1984 #43 Dark Jade Green
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PICTURES!

There was exactly 1 ascMclaren 1987 coupe made but reverted back.

I doubt this is the car...but hey, post pictures!

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
03Mach1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site and congrats on your car. dont fret, the 87 with t-tops is a rare one anyways. that was the last year it was offered as an option on the mustang. a few were made in 88 but they were leftovers most likely. i would love to have a t-top mustang so enjoy the crap out of her! if i remember correctly you will not have to switch out the steering wheel. the McLaren center cap can be replaced with one bearing the ford oval which should be correct for your car. all in all the 87 gt is a bad ass car and ttops just makes it all the better.
'88 ASC/McLaren #542 white/gray/black 20,000 miles trailer queen
'03 Mach 1 torch red 7,500 miles trailer queen-sold
'06 King Ranch F150 white over gold/saddle 34,000 miles-mustang hauler
mute

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small confession, I bought it because of the t-tops and it being the last year for them (and for 1000) except for 1 88 I know of, but its really an 87 that was ordered and there was a screw up on the assembly line and it wasnt completed until after the new model year.

Its far enough gone that Im not to worried about keeping it original, but Im not going to cut anything that doesnt have to be. Its not far enough gone that i cant take it to original eventually, after I have my fun Kicked in the Jimmy

Promise, pics tomorrow, nothing special to most, but shes my baby!
darkhorse40

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this car on craigslist in Chicago, white?

Still want to see those pics.

1984 #43 Dark Jade Green
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 1987, and it's a hatchback? It's not an original McLaren. When asc/McLaren switched to the Mustang, from then on, only 2-seat roadsters until 1990.

When done on the Mercury Capris, they offered both body styles.

After being a new/used car salesman for 27 years, for several differnt brands, in several different dealerships, I am finding out that the public are far more dishonest than some of the worst examples today, on showroom floors. The missrepresentation among the general public is alarming, especially among the uder 50 age group.
Research before putting down the money. Use CARFAX & do your homework. If in doubt, ask me.
Since YOU are new here (others, too) and most of the regulars here know I am dealing with Chemo for my cancer, now for 28 months. When I have the 2X @ month infusion, and come home, I can get mixed up and dispence some wrong info. So, if anyone asks me a ?? and I do not reply, THAT is THE reason. Shoot me the ??? again in 3 or 4 days. Otherwise I may tell you that Dodge made some McLarens into station wagons and sent them to Germany where they were used in WWII. I think I am okay today.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
mute

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*disclaimer* Im not ashamed of this car at all, it just might sound like to some.

This car is a work in progress, or as I like to call it, my 1 big turd (running joke tween me and the wife, prolly gonna go on my plates...).

When I grabbed it friday, the header panel was busted up pretty good and the front clip wasnt attached to the car and the driver fender was flattened in the front. Used a body hammer and a couple anvils to get it out a lot now compared to what it was before, still not good but enough the nose went on with no problems and no binding up. Its stretched pretty good and I decide to quit where I was to be able to drive it. New fenders are in its future, probably fiberglass. Its going to need a radiator support, the bottom of this one is real close to being gone.

Suprisingly, gravity has been pretty gentle to this car as there isnt much sag, so a set of subframe connectors are going on also. Floors arent to bad but will probably replace them just the same.

Rear qaurter flairs are shot. 1 is barely there, other is gone, cept for the bondo on both.

Guy put door handle deletes on it, but in a total wrong way, he filled the holes with bondo, no sheet metal used at all... oops. Im gonna stay without the handles but Im going to use sheetmetal, not welded in. Ill put 2 bungs on the backside of of the insert and sccrew them to the bottom side of the pocket from the inside to acoid doing anything unreversable.

Trunk floor is there but gone. The rubber seal between the wing and hatch on passenger side isnt there and prolly hasnt been in a long time, therefore, water collects and goes right into the tunk...

And, heres the pics if I am doing it right..

darkhorse40

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Mine was in more pieces than yours when I got it. I have the exact same Prime Wheels that yours came with. I contacted them in california and the covers and screws are still available, order through a local tire shop if you want them. The wheels are discontinued.

If you look at my pics on flickr (link below), the prevoius owner deleted the key hole in the trunk lid and did very well. Have you deleted the door handles before? I was considering this, as I have not bought new handles yet.

1984 #43 Dark Jade Green
mute

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at them pics the other day. Didnt notice the wheels till just now though. I personally hate mine. Not a whole lot of charachter, but they hold air so they are good enough until I get everything else done. Im thinking these ones once body is spot on, motor is out and everything is repainted.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-rims-wheels-black-red-yellow-blue-see-store-ples-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem519322dc6bQQitemZ350360886379QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories the ones in the main pic. Not sure about 18's though, I tend to lean towards the classic hot rod stylings..

I do like your car (and pretty much the rest of the ones here). Ive never really been a fan of verts, but before Friday I hadnt seen a mclaren either. Looks a lot better with the rear end looking longer. Im thinking if I can get this one done and pass it through the wife, Ill be looking for a real one next, shhh, Ill call it hers to help out a bit.. Twisted Evil
darkhorse40

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, careful wording can pay off with the spouse.

If you want to give up the wheels for cheap in the future, let me know. I'm local.

I am trying to scrounge for some interior and exterior parts from a member in Michigan. Times are tight.

1984 #43 Dark Jade Green
RARE-ASC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like that one has a few neat items installed like the 140 speedo and looks like Saleen Style flow fit seats?... Cool find with the t-tops!
2013 FORD F150 RAPTOR "TERRAIN TAN" 4X4 CREW CAB & LIFT ON 37s.
2016 SHELBY MUSTANG GT-H HERTZ EDITION #82 OF 171.
1995 F-350 CREW CAB DUALLY POWERSTROKE FULL BANKS KIT!
mute

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: 1 week of driving it Reply with quote

and Im in love. As rough as the body is, she drives wonderful! Still quick, but a little tired, or my memory is a bit fuzzy on what they were like in the early 90's.

I have no idea if they are the saleen seats or not. Im not finding a recline lever and they each have a rubbery plastic hose coming out of each that I am assuming is supposed to hook up to a small air compressor that isnt there. Comfortable enough with the wrap around sides hugging my not skinny ass..

T5 trans sucks, works, but not that great... not sure if Im going to rebuild it (prolly will, cheaper since I do my wown work..) or by an aftermarket one that can take a little abuse.

Darkhorse40, Im going to be getting rid of these rims in a couple weeks if you want to check them out in person. if you have parts laying around Im open to trades if I can use em.. or cheap works also, lol.

Ive been looking at the McLarens a lot since I joined the site and caught the Boss peeking over my shoulders and making "cool" and "morning glories!" comments, so maybe in my future....
KHummel66

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkhorse40 wrote:
If you look at my pics on flickr (link below), the prevoius owner deleted the key hole in the trunk lid and did very well.

That's interesting. All the Capri verts came that way from ASC, but the Mustangs should have the 3rd brake light there. What I'm not sure of is if the 3rd brake light would completely cover the keyhole or if ASC filled it like on the Capris and then put the brake light over it. I'll have to take a look at my 86.
1986 ASC vert - #86-0001
1986 ASC vert - 3.8SC v6
1986 ASC vert - Silver/Black/Gray
1985 ASC vert - Black/Tan/Tan
1985 GPIV - The Official Pace Car
1985 ASC coupe - modified
1985 ASC coupe - roller
1983 Crimson Cat V6
1966 Cobra replica
KHummel66

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mute wrote:
Anyway, here to find out more them and decide if Im keeping the steering wheel or selling it to someone doing a restore if it is indeed original.

03Mach1 wrote:
if i remember correctly you will not have to switch out the steering wheel. the McLaren center cap can be replaced with one bearing the ford oval which should be correct for your car.

03Mach1 is correct, the center pads are interchangeable from the McLaren wheels to GT wheels. However, id the wheel is wrapped in leather, then it too came from an ASC, not just the center pad.

All that being said, if you do decide to sell the center pad, I might be interested in it. I just need to confirm what should really be in my 86.

Congrats on your new car!
1986 ASC vert - #86-0001
1986 ASC vert - 3.8SC v6
1986 ASC vert - Silver/Black/Gray
1985 ASC vert - Black/Tan/Tan
1985 GPIV - The Official Pace Car
1985 ASC coupe - modified
1985 ASC coupe - roller
1983 Crimson Cat V6
1966 Cobra replica
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: