ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Check this out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Check this out Reply with quote

Mike, here's a car pictured (many more pics over there) on Henry's site (www.ascmclaren.com). It's a 1986 unmolested original COUPE - looks like #031. Black with silver, 5-speed manual with power locks.....*BUT*
check out the power locks & windows switchgear as well as the door handles and finishing plates around the handles. Identical to mine....BUT wait...LOOK at his door carpeting!! It's the one that comes up high, & mine is the low kind. What gives with that?? I never noticed that in COUPES before!??! I don't think I'll ever know what called for that .... What was in the build that called for high or low door carpet???
Here's the link:-

http://www.ascmclaren.com/newcarsforsale/Image09.jpg

OH & Speed Control Steering Wheel, Too! Unusual Car!!!!

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That car has vert door panels or reworked coupe panels.

Vert panels had the carpetting that rode up higher:

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Parts/DoorPanels/85vertdoorpanel.jpg

They may be vert door panels....We discussed this before I think.

My "Guess" is that #1 that car got the wrong panels from the factory...or #2 they are hiding some old speaker holes hacked into the doors.

That car also doesn't have the alpine radio like it's supposed to have.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the guy claims the stereo was stolen out of it while on the dealer's new-car lot. New question: Why would FoMoCo install Mustang Convertible Door Panels on a Capri going to ascMcLaren, ordered from ascMcLaren as a Coupe? Ford Assembly definately knew which Capris were going to be made into 'Verts. Why put in 'Vert door panels? Which panels are in Mike from Bensalem's Navy '85 ?? For 1986 there were one heck of alot of variations one could order on the COUPE ~ between paint color, transmission, T-Roof, Sun Roof, Solid Roof, Speed Control or not, Tape Stripe & Decals colors, Wheel Colors, Yes or No to Pwr. Lock Group, Yes or No to Air Conditioning, Full Packaged or EuroCoupe, and of course WHAT radio went INTO the EuroCoupe.

85 & 84 were not like that! 1 Tranny, No Locks, No Speed Control, Solid Roof, No EuroCoupes, Orange or White Wheels & all with A/C.

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Yes, the guy claims the stereo was stolen out of it while on the dealer's new-car lot.

Sounds fishy. I wonder if its related to the door panels some way.

Quote:
New question: Why would FoMoCo install Mustang Convertible Door Panels on a Capri going to ascMcLaren, ordered from ascMcLaren as a Coupe?

You tell me! I can only guess at how those vert door panels got there...and they are very very nice so they match the condition of the car.

I can throw out this "far fetched" scenario. Maybe when the car was broken into and the radio was stolen, the door panel (or panels) were damaged...like with a coat hanger or something. The dealership hurriedly repaired the damage and tossed some vert door panels on it from a vert they had on the lot....or the replacements they got from Ford were wrong.

ALso, You really have to know what you are doing to steal a radio cleanly from these cars. You need to loosen up the entire dash and do a contortion dance to get the thing out. The only other way is to destroy the dash around the radio opening to pull it through. Not that some thiefs aren't good at what they do but they generally don't bother.....or it could have been an inside job.

Just hypothesizing.....

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Foxfleet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Yes, the guy claims the stereo was stolen out of it while on the dealer's new-car lot.

Sounds fishy. I wonder if its related to the door panels some way.

Quote:
New question: Why would FoMoCo install Mustang Convertible Door Panels on a Capri going to ascMcLaren, ordered from ascMcLaren as a Coupe?

You tell me! I can only guess at how those vert door panels got there...and they are very very nice so they match the condition of the car.

I can throw out this "far fetched" scenario. Maybe when the car was broken into and the radio was stolen, the door panel (or panels) were damaged...like with a coat hanger or something. The dealership hurriedly repaired the damage and tossed some vert door panels on it from a vert they had on the lot....or the replacements they got from Ford were wrong.

ALso, You really have to know what you are doing to steal a radio cleanly from these cars. You need to loosen up the entire dash and do a contortion dance to get the thing out. The only other way is to destroy the dash around the radio opening to pull it through. Not that some thiefs aren't good at what they do but they generally don't bother.....or it could have been an inside job.

Just hypothesizing.....

-Mike

Mike, I definitely think that is a plausible suggestion. You bring up a good point about the radio as well. I replaced the original radio in my red 86, which literally took an hour or more to get out.....total nightmare. Not long after that I did the same to my black 86. I thought for sure my prior experience would have quickened the process, I was wrong. I would have to steal 10 of these things to shave any time off. The dash looks un cracked and is definitely not cut out around the radio....so these thieves must have been experts.

I know this car was brought up earlier, but has anyone asked the owner about the door panels?
85 asc/McLaren Capri 5.0 SC Vert-lots of miles
68 Cougar 5.0/C4 Tubbed, Caged, Project Pumpkin
55 Ford F 100-Full 5.0, 5 speed, wiring, S-trim
Kyle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, another old thread but I might be able to shed some light on this. The 1986 5.0L that I owned had identical door panels, high carpet and all, and an identical steering wheel with the cruise on it, I didn't even know they came any other way. My friends dad bought the 86 in 88 from his friend who owned a merc dealership and used it as his car for 2 years so I knew nothing had been changed on it. Maybe this car has some standard Capri interior pieces?
1986 ascMclaren Coupe #105

Initial success or total failure - AF EOD
dime_store_pony wrote:
granddaddy said "son, clowns wear bowties and if'n i ever catch ya in one
i'll take a picture and show all the girls"
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle wrote:
so I knew nothing had been changed on it

Be careful there. If I had a nickel for everybody who claims that "nothing had been changed" I'd be a rich man.

There was a guy over at FEP that swore up and down and left and right that the rear had NEVER been swapped on his 85 with the 8.8. He knew the last two owners, the first being the original owner. We decoded things and proved to him that the rear was well past the build date of the car (by years). We hypothesized that somebody's "wife" took the car in for maintenance or a repair and the 8.8 was swapped in.

Those door panels are definitely not supposed to be on any Capri....but somehow the factory may have gotten mixed up and they slapped Mustang vert door panels on some Capris. Mistakes happen...but it definitely is very very uncommon.

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it had to do with the fact that the McLaren 'Verts were built using Mustang doors. (1984-1986) Remember the tape around the windows ? (On those factory pics?) ... Do ya think ? ?

RARE-ASC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Yes, the guy claims the stereo was stolen out of it while on the dealer's new-car lot. New question: Why would FoMoCo install Mustang Convertible Door Panels on a Capri going to ascMcLaren, ordered from ascMcLaren as a Coupe? Ford Assembly definately knew which Capris were going to be made into 'Verts. Why put in 'Vert door panels? Which panels are in Mike from Bensalem's Navy '85 ?? For 1986 there were one heck of alot of variations one could order on the COUPE ~ between paint color, transmission, T-Roof, Sun Roof, Solid Roof, Speed Control or not, Tape Stripe & Decals colors, Wheel Colors, Yes or No to Pwr. Lock Group, Yes or No to Air Conditioning, Full Packaged or EuroCoupe, and of course WHAT radio went INTO the EuroCoupe.

85 & 84 were not like that! 1 Tranny, No Locks, No Speed Control, Solid Roof, No EuroCoupes, Orange or White Wheels & all with A/C.

Sandy remember my 85 blue ASC coupe we talked about this years ago so just refreashing and it had factory power door locks as per the build sheet! And you said it was one of three after much discussion!
2013 FORD F150 RAPTOR "TERRAIN TAN" 4X4 CREW CAB & LIFT ON 37s.
2016 SHELBY MUSTANG GT-H HERTZ EDITION #82 OF 171.
1995 F-350 CREW CAB DUALLY POWERSTROKE FULL BANKS KIT!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: