ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ebay 86 asc
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy is pretty hard on cars which don't meet his standards Wink

The guy (RARE-ASC) who is selling it has been part of this board since he sold a MINT blue asc a while back....and the new owner of THAT car is tickled pink with it....so I would say he's a respectable seller....but as always do your homework and feel comfortable with what you are buying.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I was too harsh on the car. Actually, I read the description too fast as the darn phone was ringing off the hook and I wanted to finish the description, so I was flying and scanning it to get done. The car looks very nice and being a Capri, is rarer than a 'Stang.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Stereo Reply with quote

Did anyone from here recently buy a brand new in box Alpine 7272 that was on e-bay? The auction was ended early, actually 22 hours after it began.

rlyons13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

Not sure if this oversteps the rules on this board, but by posting I was hoping to do a little homework, just as I would be brutally candid if someone was to ask me my opinion of an SVT Cobra (my speciality). Anyway, from the pictures, it seems like this car was supposed to have head/tail light covers that are missing, correct? Also, it appears as if the woodgraining around the dash/passenger/diagnostoic car bezels is wrong/missing. And isn't there also supposed to be an internal plaque on the passenger side bezel? The door panels look a bit worn, and the bright fastner on the window switch bezels is wrong for stock Mustang/Capris of that era, but not sure about the McLarens. The new door weatherstripping ends somewhat abruptly at the top of the quarterpanel. On regular Fox bodied convertibles, this is much more finished. Is this correct? And, while a $3.5K paint job sounds about right for a base/clear paint job of decently high quality, does this sound right if the correct paint (Sikkens?) was used? So, if any/all of you want to chime in and add/correct/affirm me, please do. If any of you were to purchase a used SVT Cobra in the future, I would do nothing less for you.

Of course, my wife likes the 87-Up Mustang based McLarens and isn't crazy about the four-eyed Mercury versions. I could like any McLaren for 86-up (EFI and 8.8 axle), but really have a soft spot for the 86, although the 89-90 with MAF (and 90 with Air Bag) is a big consideration.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy...can tell you all of that info and I'm sure he will....he might be able to give you about what its worth.

I also think it may be missing the badges on the rear trunk lid....but I'm not 100% sure on the verts.

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't think I have gotten meself in enough trouble, as of late? I speed read the red convertible, shoot from the hip a quick inner feeling, based upon my mis-reading the advertisment, judge the car too harshly, get called on the mat for my actions, and NOW you want me to start over on it ? It's a nice shiney red convertible, far better than many other like examples of 1984-1986 ascMcLarens. It's a used 19 year old car in a condition that defies its age. Okay?

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the facts...that's all he's asking for Smile

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I could like any McLaren for 86-up (EFI..."

Bob, the 1985 ascMcLaren 2-Seat Roadsters were also EFI. The Coupes were with the Carb, but the 'verts were "pull-ahead" 1986 motors with EFI

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
"I could like any McLaren for 86-up (EFI..."

Bob, the 1985 ascMcLaren 2-Seat Roadsters were also EFI. The Coupes were with the Carb, but the 'verts were "pull-ahead" 1986 motors with EFI

Yeah, but the 85 automatic verts were EFI...but they were the "CFI" version...not too many people deal with them or want to bother fixing them anymore. CFI is considered a HUGE negative in these cars (fox bodied cars that is). It either gets yanked for a carb...which will keep it "looking" stock since the air cleaner can be kept, but is easier to fix. Or they are converted to the 86+ EFI.

-Mike
rlyons13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

Thanks .... I think? I assume by your tone that my observations were valid, but that my observations must be tempered by realizing the car is 19 years old and has been driven. I still may give the seller a ring this weekend even though my wife would be somewhat against this purchase over the possible "Snowball".

BTW, what do youse and your SO's think of Aquamarine? I love it and am disappointed I just missed out on one. My wife threatened divorce.

I have had experence with CFI, as I once owned a 20th Anniversary convertible with every possible option, including automatic, which brought the CFI to the table. Never had any real problems with it, but it is a limiting factor in making "invisible" performance enhancements.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll toss a little bit out here that I can see...I'm going to make a total wreck of this as I don't know things 100%...

rlyons13 wrote:
Anyway, from the pictures, it seems like this car was supposed to have head/tail light covers that are missing, correct?

I don't think they got the headlight or tailight covers unless the car came with the ground effects (I don't really know...partly guessing). Ask if the ground effects are original...I have doubts as the rear ground effects do not fit all that well from the pictures....they look "bendy" which makes me think they are reproductions from Florida. You can add light covers yourself....$500 from Hank.

Quote:

Also, it appears as if the woodgraining around the dash/passenger/diagnostoic car bezels is wrong/missing.

Yes, I think it is missing too. The other wood can probably be refinished...a more correct color. I don't know if it is original and aged or a replacement. Some cars had screw down wood grain and some did not.

Quote:

And isn't there also supposed to be an internal plaque on the passenger side bezel?

I thought so too but I don't see any on other 86 verts from the pictures I have looked at.

Quote:

The door panels look a bit worn, and the bright fastner on the window switch bezels is wrong for stock Mustang/Capris of that era, but not sure about the McLarens.

Yeah, the door panels could use a replacing. They look nice but I can't recall seeing a "three piece" style like that.

The screw on the power windor switch looks the same as this car:
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/phpBB/album_pic.php?pic_id=188

Quote:

The new door weatherstripping ends somewhat abruptly at the top of the quarterpanel. On regular Fox bodied convertibles, this is much more finished. Is this correct?

Yeah, I see what you mean:
http://carad.ebayimg.com/i14/02/a/03/bf/8e/4c_4.JPG

I see another picture of an 86 with the same deal:
http://images2.fotki.com/v22/photos/4/43979/169646/8637_7-vi.jpg

Maybe it was normal?

A few Other things I see:
Missing rear deck lid emblems from both sides.
Missing Grill emblem.

There is another person that was trying to sell her red 86:
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=213&highlight=

you can compare the two cars:
I do not know if it was still for sale...here is a link to the album where she put some pics:
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/phpBB/album_cat.php?cat_id=10

-Mike

Last edited by negusm on Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that only the 50 1984s had a dash plaque, that stated #__ of 50.

mustang marty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:

Quote:

The new door weatherstripping ends somewhat abruptly at the top of the quarterpanel. On regular Fox bodied convertibles, this is much more finished. Is this correct?

Yeah, I see what you mean:
http://carad.ebayimg.com/i14/02/a/03/bf/8e/4c_4.JPG

I see another picture of an 86 with the same deal:
http://images2.fotki.com/v22/photos/4/43979/169646/8637_7-vi.jpg

Maybe it was normal?

It looks like a piece is missing. On my 85, there is another rubber part to fill this gap.

http://mysite.verizon.net/5liter/ascweather.jpg

I'd doubt that ASC would have left this part off after 85.
RARE-ASC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlyons13 wrote:
Guys,

Thanks .... I think? I assume by your tone that my observations were valid, but that my observations must be tempered by realizing the car is 19 years old and has been driven. I still may give the seller a ring this weekend even though my wife would be somewhat against this purchase over the possible "Snowball

I will chime in on that note: This one is a decent used 19 year old ASC "DRIVER" and presentable enough to show at small shows but not the car that i sold a couple of months ago on ebay "ck item # in ad" but then this ASC is about 45 plus % less than what that one sold for. Please do not expect more or you will be dissapointed. And i do have headlight covers and it had taillight covers holes still there did not fill them in case new owner wanted to put a set on old set were not nice enough to put back on car after paint so trashed them. P.S I WOULD KEEP THE WIFE HAPPY IT IS NOT WORTH IT OVER A CAR JUST MY 2 CENTS!
2013 FORD F150 RAPTOR "TERRAIN TAN" 4X4 CREW CAB & LIFT ON 37s.
2016 SHELBY MUSTANG GT-H HERTZ EDITION #82 OF 171.
1995 F-350 CREW CAB DUALLY POWERSTROKE FULL BANKS KIT!
RARE-ASC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
I could find no Firebird listed under Camaros 4-Sale.
I did find one Toronado under Rivieras 4-Sale.
No Challengers under Barracuda, either.
I did find an unusual "Chevrolet Capri" listed Rolling Eyes

Hey Idea Sandy......... i have a nice Buick Roadmaster no BS I was going to list it under Chevy Caprice hardley anyone looks for a Roadmaster not jacking with you just though it would possabley work like it has on the past 5 asc's i have sold over the years on ebay i always list them under Mustangs. Smile
2013 FORD F150 RAPTOR "TERRAIN TAN" 4X4 CREW CAB & LIFT ON 37s.
2016 SHELBY MUSTANG GT-H HERTZ EDITION #82 OF 171.
1995 F-350 CREW CAB DUALLY POWERSTROKE FULL BANKS KIT!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: