ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Truck engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhorse40

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Truck engine Reply with quote

My friend has Ford F-350 or 450 for landscaping he took to an oil change place and something happened.

Ford says to make certain to use the correct filter for the truck or major damage could result.

After the maintenance was performed, damage ocurred in the form of bent valves and a destroyed spark plug and possibly a cracked head or block.

The cylinder was the closest to the driver, and I think the closest to the filter.

Has Anyone heard of, experienced, or know of this phenomenon?

1991 black on black on black 4 seater
1984 #43 Dark Jade Green
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R

Last edited by darkhorse40 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
03Mach1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you use the wrong size filter/part number? Which is almost unheard of. Brand of filter doesn't really matter, so to speak. I know a lot of people will beg to differ. I'm speaking in generalities when it comes to basic engine protection.

Ford recommends motorcraft filters and oil for obvious reasons. I only use motorcraft in my fords mostly because of loyalty I suppose, original equipment is another. I had a 1999 f-150 that started to knock on cold starts with 18,000 miles on it. I bought it new and back in those days ran Pennzoil through it with frequent oil changes. Engine had to be replaced 18,500. Ford said quiet recall but I dont know.

Bottom line, for what ever reason the engine was not getting enough oil circulated through it and unless the oil filter was too small, defective or was not on tight enough to keep oil from coming out of it, I doubt it is the culprit.
'88 ASC/McLaren #542 white/gray/black 20,000 miles trailer queen
'03 Mach 1 torch red 7,500 miles trailer queen-sold
'06 King Ranch F150 white over gold/saddle 34,000 miles-mustang hauler
darkhorse40

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds a little hoaky to me too.

I just wish I could get a motorcraft battery for original equipment.

Now it's oringinal equipwent.

1984 #43 Dark Jade Green
03Mach1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha good analogy.

Yeah I am still looking for an original battery too, but I believe it is a lost cause. Cant keep myself from looking though.
'88 ASC/McLaren #542 white/gray/black 20,000 miles trailer queen
'03 Mach 1 torch red 7,500 miles trailer queen-sold
'06 King Ranch F150 white over gold/saddle 34,000 miles-mustang hauler
tfs2121

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Truck engine Reply with quote

darkhorse40 wrote:
After the maintenance was performed, damage ocurred in the form of bent valves and a destroyed spark plug and possibly a cracked head or block.

if he bent valves it was not because of an oil change.
darkhorse40

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought too.

Funny thing......I get the coupons for the Ford Dealers maintenance services and they picture a Motorcraft battery where it says they use original parts.

I saw some 6 volt motorcraft batteries for some vintage cars on ebay. I believe those systems had a positive ground until some time in the forties.

1984 #43 Dark Jade Green
avmtdan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an aircraft mechanic and I have never heard of valves bending because of an oil issue. Even if it was the wrong filter or not letting oil flow the pistons would have overheated and scarred/welded themselves to the walls along with the bearing before the valves were ever effected. Generally you bend valves during a serious hydrolock issue, if the cylinders got flooded with fuel due to a stuck fuel injector it could have happened. Was the truck a diesel of gas burner? I don't think they used gas engines in the 450s but I may be wrong. It is possible that the spark plug came apart, dropped into the cylinder and that is what caused the valves to bend, but still should not have been caused by an oil change.
87 ASC Mclaren Mustang #416
darkhorse40

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's a gas burner, not diesel.

Thanks for the feedback...I'll be forwarding the posts to my landscaper pal.

1984 #43 Dark Jade Green
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck engine Reply with quote

tfs2121 wrote:
darkhorse40 wrote:

if he bent valves it was not because of an oil change.

Isn't about the only way to get that is a broken timing belt or a spun bearing?

Lack of oil could make a bearing spin I suppose...but I'd say it's have to be one screwed up oil change to have that happen.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Kentennis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or way too much liquid in a hole! Water doesn't compress. But that's more common in Diesels with their much higher compression ratios.

I've seen a vehicle drive into a puddle that turned out to be deeper than the carb/intake. Does a nasty job to the pistons and valves! Mostly to the pistons.

The radiator keeps on radiating and the brakes keep on braking but the pistons can't p**s at all!
avmtdan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A timing belt or chain may have done it, but you would more than likely see the same damage on the entire engine, not just one cylinder as there is usually enough momentum to keep the engine turning even if the top quits turning, causing several of the valves to contact the pistons in multiple cylinders. A spun bearing would not do it, generally if you spin a bearing the oil pressure drops to nothing in a portion of the engine and then you get the overheat issue.
87 ASC Mclaren Mustang #416
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: