ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MY WIFE'S CAR
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: MY WIFE'S CAR Reply with quote

In 2001 I bought my wife a then NEW 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited. This is the original Cherokee, sometimes known as a Cherokee Sport. Yhe "Limited is the same car, but all dressed up. (i.e. Dual 6-Way heated Leather seats, and the Am Fm Stereo/ C.D. + Cassette and all the bells & whistles (27 options.) It's been a gereat car! 65,000 miles and it's been costing us quite a bit since Summer's end. The body looks like it was made yesterday! Not a single door ding, nor scratch, the exteruior is flawless. Interior ditto. Everything on her works as it should! But, lately we are replacing stuff.
6 cyl engine & tranny are strong, REALLY strong.
The driver's seat heater is busted. I have an appt. to take her in next week. I hear it's a $250.00 fix (per side). At least it's only rhe driver's side.

So, I found car I love (I mean I am crazy about. There is only 1 leftt in the NY NJ area. I want to buy it. I took Karen to see it. She freakin' hates it!!!!!
I love it!!!! She hates it!!!!

Tensions are high, 2-nite. The air is icey here. I have invested over $400 in "Jeepers" since end of September, and the dear Jeep is approaching 10 years and 65,000 miles. It's not goinf to get better, it, like all cars, will have future problems, which is a shame because it is 100% a showroom pristine car.
The car i fell in love with is a 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T ~ the Special Edition, "Fabulous Fucia, a purplish-Pink car with White Rwcing Stripes on hood & deck lid and White Leather interior, surrounded with black compoents. It hhs every option (MoonRoof, MP3 Player / C.S. player, power everything, 18" Chromed 5 spokes, huge tires, and tons more!
It's $43,000 with a $6,000 rebate & $1,500 off of MSRLP So, it's $35,500 + tax. Yhey offered me $6,000 for the Jeep, so it then becme $29,000

Took Karen 2 C it. HELL NO! I hate the color and I am 63 years old, WTF would you be thinking? You want it !!! That's What!
I want my Jeep. My Jeep fits me. blah blahg blah all the way home.
Definately NO deal. Crying or Very sad Mad Mad

I still say the car's a drop dead eye-full of pure sex on wheels.

PS/ We are keeping the Jeep. (Probably for the next decade!!)

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
Kentennis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate. The wife has a 2004 Ford Escape. V6, quick little son of a gun. All the options she needed and then some. Has 63,000+ miles. No problems yet. Needs tires in the next year or so. Offered to buy a new one. Wound up getting an Expedition for myself instead.

Had a '97 Expedition that I gave to her daughter in Jan 2007. It had over 200,000 miles on it with NO PROBLEMS at all. It now has over 300,000 and still NO PROBLEMS. Looks like new, drives like new and nothing ever breaks down on the damn thing. Should have kept it!

But then I should have kept the '58 Vette I had in 1959-60 until the wife got PG for the second time! Bye Bye Vette!
RARE-ASC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call Jeep should last for years its still a baby at 60k. Fix the odds and ends that come up and keep the wife happy and save 40k in the process Razz
2013 FORD F150 RAPTOR "TERRAIN TAN" 4X4 CREW CAB & LIFT ON 37s.
2016 SHELBY MUSTANG GT-H HERTZ EDITION #82 OF 171.
1995 F-350 CREW CAB DUALLY POWERSTROKE FULL BANKS KIT!
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YA, "jEEPERS" WILL NIOT BE LEAVING. FEMALES SURE LOVE TO KEEP 'EM 4-EVER! She said, "If you love that Challenger so much, sell one or 2 McLarens and buy the Dodge. Case closed. PS/ we also now have a "foreignor" living in the driveway! Our son (26) is a CPA in NYC and makes Twisted Evil mucho $$$ and is single, & lives at home with us, so he decided the he nneded a Lexus. So, he now has a 2010 Lexus AWD "IS" 250 in Dark Midnight Grey, called Granite Grey (It's really metallic black).
It lives outside in the drivway. I am trying to learn Japanese, so that I can curse at it.

Last edited by Sandy on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
ckj

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one of those Fabulous Fucia special edition cars at the dealership two weeks ago and they are really neat sandy! I say buy it for yourself and tell her to enjoy her jeep!
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I can't really aford it & more than that, I'd have to sell at least 1 if not 2 McLarens. I'd rather have the McLarens.

scoutdrivinrebel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're cool looking cars, just BIG and HEAVY. I'll stick with Stangs and Capris.
avmtdan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
No, I can't really aford it & more than that, I'd have to sell at least 1 if not 2 McLarens. I'd rather have the McLarens.

I had a similar situation with my wife, she has a 96 Explorer that she has had since college and did not want a replacement vehicle. The explorer has 230K+ miles on it, and had broken down a couple of times in the six months before we bought a new car, the way I ended the argument was to let the thing sit in my driveway for a couple of weeks (immobile) before fixing it, being down a reliable vehicle made her see things my way that we needed something a bit newer with less miles. We kept the truck (used explorers are worthless resale-wise), it doesn't cost that much in up keep, and we have the space for it. Besides that, the SUV fits a role that a large car or pickup doesn't. I believe in a vehicle for all occasions.

The flip side here Sandy is that would you treat the Challenger like your Mclarens? I mean absolutely no disrespect, but if you would not feel bad driving the Challenger in the famed NJ traffic, then I say sell a Mclaren (or two), and get something that you will have fun with and not feel bad every time you take her out. Besides, the Challenger is the ONLY GM car that I have ever considered buying, let alone buying new. They really are beautiful cars, and I am glad that they came out with a contender for the two door RWD market. 35.5K is alot of money, but that car has curb appeal for days and I would definitely be proud of having one in my driveway.

As for selling the Mclarens, I am betting that the price range they would go for would keep them in the collectors market due to their condition. I am sure they would go to a good home. Selling a couple would hurt, but if the Challenger has your eye (and your heart) to the point of making the home environment a little cold than it may be worth it.
87 ASC Mclaren Mustang #416

Last edited by avmtdan on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
avmtdan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to find a pic of the color, is it Furious or Fabulous Fuchsia?
87 ASC Mclaren Mustang #416
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is Fabulous Fuchsia.

Case closed. I cannot sell a child! Oops, I mean a McLaren, plus wife wants to keep her Cherokee Limited 4X4 for the coming 15 years Shrug

My mega big C-D-J dealer (largest on the East coast) has like 5 of these cars in stock. 3 have black interior and black striping. The black with the exterior paint looks dull. Then they have 2 with white stripes & white leather. Those are the stand-outs! Then I was surprised to see the white interior & stripes models are $235.00 more $$ for the White.

They window sticker anywhere from $41,300 to $46,700 depending upon the other options. The nice part is there is a $6,000 rebate, and the dealer can give you $1,300 off MSRLP, for a total reduction of $7,300.00
bringing it down to around $ 39,000 for the most loaded one. Trading in the Jeep would be an additional $5,000 , or $34,000.
But, it's not to be. She loves her "Jeepers" ~

stangmodifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: I am blessed Reply with quote

I suppose I'm blessed... My wife bought a Orange SRT8 with a six speed. I had to go pick it up at the dealer cause she did not know how to drive a stick. We have been together 18 years and she tolerates me and my cars but she never did get it. Now she does. That car hoohed her as she drove by the lot. She pulled in and told the saleslady she wanted that pretty orange car out there. She can drive it very well now.
Sandy you will still have a McLaren or two even if you sold one or two. You will enjoy the Challenger if you put it on the road.
Glad you are still with us and feelin the urge to buy still!!
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
It is Fabulous Fuchsia.

Case closed. I cannot sell a child! Oops, I mean a McLaren, plus wife wants to keep her Cherokee Limited 4X4 for the coming 15 years Shrug

My mega big C-D-J dealer (largest on the East coast) has like 5 of these cars in stock. 3 have black interior and black striping. The black with the exterior paint looks dull. Then they have 2 with white stripes & white leather. Those are the stand-outs! Then I was surprised to see the white interior & stripes models are $235.00 more $$ for the White.

They window sticker anywhere from $41,300 to $46,700 depending upon the other options. The nice part is there is a $6,000 rebate, and the dealer can give you $1,300 off MSRLP, for a total reduction of $7,300.00
bringing it down to around $ 39,000 for the most loaded one. Trading in the Jeep would be an additional $5,000 , or $34,000.
But, it's not to be. She loves her "Jeepers" ~

Got to see this car on my way to work Sandy, passed it on the highway - white stripe package on it. It looks like a full size hot wheels car.

Hate to bring attention to it. The storage fees you have to pay for the McLarens, alone could pay for this car!!! Sad
1988 ASC McLaren #688
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. Storage fees are down from prior years.

3 cars in close-by safe & secure storage, heated from December thru April 1st. $375 @ month. Regardless, wife does not want anything but her "Jeepers" back. (and) I am not willing to sell any of mine, for the Dodge.

86ASCCoupe20

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent known most of you very long but Sandy what I have read about you, I would say this car would never get driven. 20 years from now it would have 451 miles on it. Seems like a waste to get rid of a paid off Mclaren for payments for a car that will never be driven. Of course I could be wrong.
1986 ASC Mclaren coupe #20 of 114.
Black with gray interior and stripes.
65,227 miles. Pop up sunroof car.
302 5 speed.
Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking over the check book and the credit card charges for 2010 (or 11 months), I see that we had some type of repair on the Jeep 6 outta 11 months. Total cost is not yet known, as she is going in this week to see why the driver's heated seat works when it feels like it !

Without that amount, "Jeepers" is at $ $1,173.00 for the year of 2010, up until today. Because I have kept it looking "first day on the showroom floor" for a decade, my wife thinks that it's a brand new car. But, it has 65,000 miles on it, and stuff is beginning to go POOF. Rolling Eyes
She loves Jeepers and I do too - but every month it's another couple or few hundred dollars to fix something. I am slowly rebuilding the car.
So far, no problems with engine, tranny, rear end. Had to rebuild the Air Conditioning, did brakes, water pump, fan belt, major motor belt, new tires, 1 power window switch, broken wire under seat that controls power seat, 1 wheel bearing, tailgate pistons (keeps tailgate open), and now the driver side seat heater is "on-deck" ...
Prior to 2010, it never had problem #1. It is 10 years old, & counting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: