ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#67 Black Mac'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: new member Reply with quote

Hello all,
I joined asc enthusiasts a couple of weeks ago & have been rattling around in here trying to get my "capri-legs" before jumping in & writing in this welcome forum.
In mid-November I purchased #067, black 1985 ASC McLaren roadster in Kansas City, Kansas.
I don't know if the previous owner was a member here, but I did find a few fotos of it from back in 2005 on the Fotki pages.

The body seems to still be in pretty good shape with minimal dents & no rust. It appears to have been repainted (Black W/Gold Flakes), always looks dusty, the surface is rough to the touch & has runs and orange peel in some areas.
The interior is another story. The Recaro seats are a mess, the dash(by the center speaker) & the dash accent wood is cracked & peeling off, the console is missing a piece, the original radio has been replaced, there is some kind of alarm more or less hanging by a loose screw below the dash, the left door leather is streaked a lighter color from bleach or something, & the door locks no longer work.
It has Edelbrock valve covers on it & oil must be added through the tiny PCV valve hole?
It has single exhaust(which according to a note from Sandy) isn't correct for an 85?
All emblems except on the front grill have been removed, & the radio antenna is missing.
I have finally gotten most of the short cat/dog hair removed from the interior & the top with masking tape.
I did receive a new top(in the box) with the purchase, but the old top doesn't bother me much since I will probably only drive it with the top down most of the time(strictly a fair weather vehicle!)!
If any of you know any history on my new asc baby I sure would appreciate hearing from you!

I hope I haven't worn out my welcome by being too windy my first time posting here.
Ron
86ASCCoupe20

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the group. Tons of great info here and great people.. Good to see some more Capris.
1986 ASC Mclaren coupe #20 of 114.
Black with gray interior and stripes.
65,227 miles. Pop up sunroof car.
302 5 speed.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very EARLY 1985 Automatic 5.0 cars had single exhaust.

The easiest way to tell is if there is a hanger or hanger holes on the back frame rail for the other side.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Kentennis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a lucky man. The Capri chassis looks a lot better (In my opinion) than the Mustang chassis.

Good luck with it.
#67 Black Mac'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Thx Reply with quote

Thank you'ns for the welcome!
I can hardly wait for spring to get here so I can enjoy driving it.
Mine was shipped to the dealer(?) on 11/12/84 & is #67 so I guess it qualifies for an early one, & nope there is no hanger under there.

Will a dual exhaust system from a Fox Body Mustang fit it or were there modifications underneath at ASC that prevent such a swap?

I looked at a couple of Mustang conversions & passed on them to get this Capri cause I liked the flaired fenders, front end, & inset taillights better!
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to add brackets, a double hump cross member and probably switch to headers (you probably have cast iron exhaust manifolds) to add dual exhaust from one of the kits.

You'll lose your heat risers too unless you get the '85 headers.

I'd leave it original.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
#67 Black Mac'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take your advice & not mess with the exhaust. I do want to try to keep the car as original as possible at this stage in its life. I was told that all 5.0 ASCs came with duals.

The 2 Mustang ASCs that I looked at to buy recently did have duals on them & they sure sounded nice!
My 2.3 Mustangs (I should say Mustang since I just gave my turbo 2.3 convert. to my grand-kids in Louisiana last week), sure don't sound anything like a nicely tuned 5.0 exhaling through a set of duals.
Maybe I need to look for an ASC Capri coupe so I have at least one car that sounds healthy.
Only problem is they are quick enough that "go fast" fever might overcome me again.
mustang marty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Even my later 85 ASC doesn't really have duals. After the stock headers, it has a Y-pipe and a single catalytic converter. It splits back to dual right before the mufflers. Still has that V8 rumble though.

The Capri did't get true duals until 86. All the 85 exhaust parts for the 'dual' exhaust are unique for the year.
#67 Black Mac'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mustang marty wrote:
Welcome!

Even my later 85 ASC doesn't really have duals. After the stock headers, it has a Y-pipe and a single catalytic converter. It splits back to dual right before the mufflers. Still has that V8 rumble though.

The Capri did't get true duals until 86. All the 85 exhaust parts for the 'dual' exhaust are unique for the year.

I guess I had better be glad that I have what I have!

So all of those 85s that I see (photos) with an exhaust pipe on each side or on top of each other on the left, actually have that semi-dual setup that you describe?

That is almost as weird as my 5.0 Mountaineer which runs dual pipes all the way back to the rear axle then feeds them into a single muffler (after the half dozen cats up front?)
Talk about back pressure.
Ron
Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike H. I did not know that early build 1985s with V-8 had single exhust!!??
What was under 1984 302 V-8s ?? Single or Duals, and WHY was that?
Was it the same on the Mustangs? Can you expand upon that?

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
svo413

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: 85 Reply with quote

At one point, the exhaust would have been a single exhaust with twin tail pipes together. Most likely in 84.

On another note, the 85 with an automatic would have CFI. CFI does not respond to dual exhaust upgrades. May make it run worse. The late 85 had headers into a single cat, dual mufflers and dual tips (fake dual exhaust).
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Mike H. I did not know that early build 1985s with V-8 had single exhust!!??
What was under 1984 302 V-8s ?? Single or Duals, and WHY was that?
Was it the same on the Mustangs? Can you expand upon that?

84s all had single exhaust. The automatic cars got CFI in 84 which carried over to 85. The 84-85 manual cars were carbed and in 85 got the "semi" dual exhaust (along with headers, etc). The 85 automatic/CFI cars carried over MANY things from 1984, including the exhaust. However I believe somewhere in early 85, they did get headers and the semi-dual exhaust. I think this is why the hp rating changed for the automatic cars that year.

You wouldn't really know this info looking at the cars out there since most kids yank the single exhaust for the dual setup as soon as they get the car.

-Mike
#67 Black Mac'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 Reply with quote

svo413 wrote:
At one point, the exhaust would have been a single exhaust with twin tail pipes together. Most likely in 84.

On another note, the 85 with an automatic would have CFI. CFI does not respond to dual exhaust upgrades. May make it run worse. The late 85 had headers into a single cat, dual mufflers and dual tips (fake dual exhaust).

Boy, am I glad I asked the question about the dual exhaust. You guys really are a wealth of information on these great autos.
Since it was my first time to own an ASC and seeing photos of so many early ones with dual tailpipes I just assumed that they all originally came with duals.

Quote:
84s all had single exhaust. The automatic cars got CFI in 84 which carried over to 85. The 84-85 manual cars were carbed and in 85 got the "semi" dual exhaust (along with headers, etc). The 85 automatic/CFI cars carried over MANY things from 1984, including the exhaust. However I believe somewhere in early 85, they did get headers and the semi-dual exhaust. I think this is why the hp rating changed for the automatic cars that year.

You wouldn't really know this info looking at the cars out there since most kids yank the single exhaust for the dual setup as soon as they get the car.

-Mike"

The photos fooled me. I was getting ready to be one of those kids at "68" because I planned to return it to what I thought was original by installing duals on it.

So again, thanks for the info---now maybe I can use that money toward the Recaro seat restoration.
Ron
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing is to always leave mods to the end of the project. You always get way farther along that way.

-Mike
03Mach1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

belated welcome! Nice acquisition! Love the Capris...
'88 ASC/McLaren #542 white/gray/black 20,000 miles trailer queen
'03 Mach 1 torch red 7,500 miles trailer queen-sold
'06 King Ranch F150 white over gold/saddle 34,000 miles-mustang hauler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: