ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Truck Fix ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Truck Fix ? Reply with quote

K guys. Want your opinions on this.

My truck was hit a month ago and now I'm at the point of fixing it. I've been getting estimates and tracking down parts and have it narrowed it down to (2) options - (or 3).

My bed is rusting out at the wheel arches and the tailgate is toast - not even safe to stand on. I've been wanting to replace it, and now is the time. The wreck damage is not very bad (its all relative) I know many people wouldn't even fix the light damage it has and just drive it as is.

Option #1 - Repair bed (no new side panel, popping out some dents, some use of filler, and repaint), and replace tailgate. (pocket about 40% of the ins. money.)

Option #2 - replace bed with a 2011 bed I've found at a great price that includes a new tailgate and tail lights - reuse exsisting bumper. Just have to paint the bed. (pocket about 15% of ins. money)

Option #3 - don't fix it, drive it as is. (pocket 100% of the ins. money)

The truck has 184,000 miles, is in decent shape, ordered it new which I won't be doing again since I see new decked out Superduties going for $45-65K. So I plan on keeping it, unless I win the lotto.......

Honest thoughts?
1988 ASC McLaren #688
darkhorse40

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely Option #2 would look newer and nicer. Probably not what you wanted to hear as this leaves you with the least leftovers.

1991 black on black on black 4 seater
1984 #43 Dark Jade Green
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R
CSMESP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: New Bed Reply with quote

I agree with the "Dark Horse". 184K, your just getting it broke in. That new bed will not only look good, but it will influence you to continue to stay with it and make it look better and newer. Number #2.
KHummel66

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends...

With 184K on it, what is the expected remaining life of the drivetrain? Will it last long enough to make it worth puttin gthe money into it?

What's the value of the truck in any of those various states of repair? Is it worth more than the cost to fix it?

Is the bed usable in it's current state, or does it need to be repaired (both the rust and the damage) to be functional?

What's most important to you (someone else's opinion is just that - their opinion) - driving a decent looking vehicle or maximizing the amount of cash in your pocket, or maybe something else?

Instead of buying a new SD, is it an option to use the insurance money (and whatever you could get from selling your current one) as a down payment on a decent lower mileage used one?
1986 ASC vert - #86-0001
1986 ASC vert - 3.8SC v6
1986 ASC vert - Silver/Black/Gray
1985 ASC vert - Black/Tan/Tan
1985 GPIV - The Official Pace Car
1985 ASC coupe - modified
1985 ASC coupe - roller
1983 Crimson Cat V6
1966 Cobra replica
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KHummel66 wrote:
It depends...

With 184K on it, what is the expected remaining life of the drivetrain? Will it last long enough to make it worth puttin gthe money into it?

What's the value of the truck in any of those various states of repair? Is it worth more than the cost to fix it?

Is the bed usable in it's current state, or does it need to be repaired (both the rust and the damage) to be functional?

What's most important to you (someone else's opinion is just that - their opinion) - driving a decent looking vehicle or maximizing the amount of cash in your pocket, or maybe something else?

Instead of buying a new SD, is it an option to use the insurance money (and whatever you could get from selling your current one) as a down payment on a decent lower mileage used one?

I know, other guys have said I can expect to get another 100k miles on it or more, and that its hardly broken in. One thing to note, its a V10 not a diesel. The truck has been great, I've only replaced normal things that where out. It has new brakes, new tires, new alt, new ball joints, new battery. Interior is excellent. Its always been garaged.

I guess the bed is useable. It has moderate bubbles above both wheels, but other than that, perfect. shiny non faded paint. I do haul a huge ATV in it and use the bed regularly that has been linexed.

Yes, I do like driving a "clean" vehicle. I don't like driving a dirty car/truck, so driving a rusty, dented, and scraped truck I don't care much for. (I know maybe thats detail oriented - considering this is essentially a "retired" occasional weekend duty truck) but I do plan on keeping it for awhile.

If I sold it I'd probably get around $9-11K for it. I have another car payment and its not a good time to take on another payment. Although, now you've got me thinking about that option. damn it..... Wink

I guess I'm looking at the money and thinking about all of the "man" toyz in the 200-300 range range I'd like to get.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I'm a big proponent for not fixing cosmetic problems with drivers. There is no return whatsoever with a repair to a high mileage car.

In 2 years, you're going to have even more wear and tear, more rust, more things broken.

Pocket the insurance and save it for a rainy day when you do need a new truck. You're going to be at the dealer wishing you never spent that insurance money.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
lightning95sc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 2-300 is all you're looking at spending, put the bed on it. If you keep up on your engine and drivetrain maintnance, the V10 should last you another 100,000.

Chuck
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, how much insurance money are we talking here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
ct_gsxr1000

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth.. daily driver 1992 chevy silverado 6ft bed reg cab v8 5 speed with 175,000 miles and as close to mint as one could expect from a Connecticut 4x4... it gets washed every week as i hate driving something that looks like hell, paid $3,000 for it 10 years ago and if this truck was hit, i would use all the FREE$$$ and keep it mint
I was told by my grandfather, what you drive and how it looks is a direct reflection of who you are.....
capri50asc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: '86 Capri on ebay Reply with quote

If you read the carfax on this '86 Capri you will see it was in a front
end impact with another car. This would stop me from purchasing this car. A fox body that has been in a wreck is never right. It's rating number is at 15
very low. Who knows how bad the shock towers are off, frame, steering, tire wear, Our cars can not take an impact over 25-30 miles a hour in the front or back to be a total loss.

Chris Cool

'86 Capri vert #0082
'86 Capri RS 5.0 liter
'73 Cougar (base model)
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: '86 Capri on ebay Reply with quote

capri50asc wrote:
If you read the carfax on this '86 Capri you will see it was in a front
end impact with another car. This would stop me from purchasing this car. A fox body that has been in a wreck is never right. It's rating number is at 15
very low. Who knows how bad the shock towers are off, frame, steering, tire wear, Our cars can not take an impact over 25-30 miles a hour in the front or back to be a total loss.

Chris Cool

Confused Question Question Question
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking he replied to the wrong thread.

If I knew which one, I think I could move it...

-Mike
capri50asc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: '86 Capri on Ebay Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Some how this e-mail was posted to the wrong subject. It should be posted
with the "86 Capri on Ebay"

Thanks Chris Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: