ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Get this!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capri50asc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Ford Transmissions Reply with quote

Hi Shelbyscarab

I would agree on your statement to a point, I grew up on my fathers used car lot in the 70's until he retired in 2004. As a family of car people, I have seen it all! After college my first job was working for Makita power tools as a sales rep from 1990 to 1997. The one thing I learned from the
Japanese is the fact they made EVERY TOOL with the BEST parts, wiring, copper, motors gears. batteries, etc. They made it to last! I had a meeting with 10 Ford engineers last summer on a problem with the Mustang. The standards are 3years or 36,000 miles! The Honda standards are 8 years or 75.000. I have done hundreds of application with GM, Chysler and Ford and it always ends up the same way. "We need cost savings" I see a lot of "short cuts" being done. I have been in almost every plant in the Detroit area
( GM Ford Chrysler Honda etc etc) I see how every thing is done! The Ford Fusion I have to drive until 80,000. I'm scared of the car. Its been in the Ford Dealership 5 times in the past year and half.

Here is the list"

Transmission failed 11,000m
Replaced under warranty

Chrome bubbled off front grill 15,000m
Replaced under warranty

Power steering LOCKED 20,000m
No Clue could not repair????????

Chrome bubbled off the front grill for the second time 28,000m
replaced under warranty

Power steering failed again ( This car does not have a power steering pump) The power steering is run by servo motors and for some unknown reason the steering will just not turn at times) I could not turn the wheel.
Sounds funny! but its no joke and it scared me to death!!!!

I have a good friend who owns a transmission shop in Linclon Park Michigan. He told me that the Ford dealership in the area has been sending all overflow cars to him to rebuild and replace the transmissions.

On the issue of changing Transmission fluids on my cars, here's my list

1986 Capri RS 5 speed m/t T-5 Changed at 50,000 and 80,000
1986 Capri ASC 'vert #0082 Changed at 17.000
1973 Cougar It has been changed 5 times in the past 30 years!
2007 Honda Ridgeline changed at 30,000 and 50,000

I have replaced ONE transmission in the past 35 years of driving. I purchased a 1978 Ford Thunderbird WITH a bad transmission. The FMX would not go into third gear! Of the 60 cars I have owned that was the only one and now the Fusion.

Take care!
capri50asc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Up charges in Garages Reply with quote

Ken

All garages and shops have become salesman! I hit a pot hole with my Ford Fusion in late Jan of this year. this is a company car so I can not do anything to it and must take it to a approved shop. I reported the damage
to the leasing company and was told to take it to a Firestone. MISTAKE!
They had the car in the shop and said" Your company has approved the repairs!" New tires, brakes, and a 4 wheel alignment WHAT! All I wanted was the minor dent removed from the rim! everything else was OK.
Sooooo. I just got in the car, backed out ..............and drove away!

Never to return! (Note, the leasing company did NOT approve anything)

Chris Mad
Rainmanoly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why isn't the original 68,000 mile tranny covered under warranty? If the new replacement is covered for 75,000 miles, it seems that the original should be covered for at least another 7,000 miles.

KHummel66: They didn't start the power train warranty until 2007. (At least that is what they are telling me.) So, all I had was Ford's crap warranty.

Quote:
Ford has been doing very well lately but they can't slip back and start making crap again.

Mike: Maybe that was why this dealership could take me Mar 30, and all the other dealership's in the area said April 12th-ish.

Quote:
#2 That is all very wrong of that dealer and as you may know, I was in the auto business for "only" 27 years. Can you perhaps "stay cool" enough to explain all of this to your local BBB (Beter Business Bureau) who might intervine, in your behalf? They will have a cooler head than you would have. You are right. But, you are too HOT to taste the soup. A cooler head might be low keyed and might move the mountain towards your side.

Sandy: That's just it. I wasn't angry. I laughed when he told me the new tranny was junk. I didn't get mad until he told me he wouldn't give me a loaner because the car wasn't purchased at his dealership. Do you think I will ever buy a car there now? The guy and I talked about me pregnant wife for crying out loud, and how I just wrecked O'l yelller.

PS: Kingwood is in West Virginia, approx 15miles east of Morgantown, 1 1/2 hour south of Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Are you serious? or did I not catch the sarcasm?

shelbyscarab: As serious as the heart attack I'm about to have! Laughing Thank God, I have a sense of humor.....

Quote:
I think he is hiding.

Sandy: Laughing Not hiding. I was building a bunker in the back-yard. Still need a helmet. Lol

1989 ascMcLaren convertible, 5-speed
(The only Hot Yellow car built in '89)
Rainmanoly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news. Ford is going to pay for my loaner thru Enterprise!

Sandy, I know more flies w/ honey...... But that dealership will never see me again.

1989 ascMcLaren convertible, 5-speed
(The only Hot Yellow car built in '89)
KHummel66

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainmanoly wrote:
Quote:
Ford has been doing very well lately but they can't slip back and start making crap again.

Mike: Maybe that was why this dealership could take me Mar 30, and all the other dealership's in the area said April 12th-ish.

I'm thinking the reason this dealership could take you on the 30th while the others couldn't until the 12th is because people who have dealt with this dealership previously know of their poor business practices and stay away (likely going to the others causing them to be booked two weeks further out).

I'm sorry you're having to experience that type of customer service, however I am pleased that Ford is stepping up to do what that dealership won't.

And congrats on the baby!
1986 ASC vert - #86-0001
1986 ASC vert - 3.8SC v6
1986 ASC vert - Silver/Black/Gray
1985 ASC vert - Black/Tan/Tan
1985 GPIV - The Official Pace Car
1985 ASC coupe - modified
1985 ASC coupe - roller
1983 Crimson Cat V6
1966 Cobra replica
Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainmanoly, IF IF IF you would like to still do business at that dealership and want to be treated like the owner's son....I can tell you exactly what to do ... and it will work. I promise. If so .... amnd i KNOW whaT i AM SPEAKING OF... LET ME KNOW !!!! 27 years in a dealership selling Imperial, Chrysler Dodge & Plymouth. Later the assistant Service Mgr.
Just ask.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May Dealerships around me, I know from customers and tech's that work at them have told me that they 'the dealership" dont even pull the tires to inspect brake and dont measure anything. It ALL or nothing. But that is also the best way not to have come backs. Sad

As for transmissions I have a friend that tests seals for the Car markers and he tells me about all the problems they are having and the seals dont last as long as they did. Or how it is close enough let it fly
avmtdan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainmanoly wrote:
Oh, I wrecked the ascMClaren on Sunday......

and my wife is pregnant!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody got a helmet?!?!?! Bang Head

Congrats on the kid, my daughter just turned one, having a little one around is a blast! Sorry bout the Mclaren
87 ASC Mclaren Mustang #416
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: