ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Direction of McLaren Prices
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlyons13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Direction of McLaren Prices Reply with quote

Guys,

Sandy and I have been having an off-list discussion, and I think it may make a good on-line discussion. In my role of national director of the SVT Cobra Owners Assoc, I track values of the several years of SVT Cobras, along with three other personal favorite Foxes (79 Pace Car, 84-86 SVO and 84 20th Anniversary). Nice original and well refurbished/restored versions of these cars are on their way up in value, the 93 SVT Cobra most so. Driver and below versions have all seemed to hit the floor. The discussion Sandy and I were having was what would be reasonable to expect in the ASC/McLaren market. For well kept original/refurbished/restored examples, do you all feel the prices for these cars are now at a floor? If so, do you see them going up anytime soon? If so, how much and how quick/slow? If you feel that the prices for a vehicle in this condition has not bottomed, how much further do you believe it will drop?

While I have been in this hobby for well over 20 years and realize that I could invest money elsewhere if I want a return, I have also been fairly successful in purchasing hobby vehicles that either gain me a few bucks or lose very little, even taking into account TVM (my company made this poor engineer become an MBA, a moment of silence please). Anyway, just doing some homework trying to keep my streak intact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
tfs2121

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that our cars get no respect from the general public but this is cuz they dont know what our cars are... hopefuly this new McLaren Mustang will help our cars out and the value of them might go up...
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supply & Demand. Right now, there are more ascMcLarens for sale than there are buyers looking to buy one. This drives prices down. When (and if) it flip flops to more buyers than ready decent cars, the prices will climb. The key here (IMO) is to select a rare example, which would be either a 5-speed stick -or- a unique color combination. Certainly the original Capri, in the final year, 1986, in a 1 year only color with a 1 year only interior definately is a buy-buy. Snowball, is also a 1 of 3 and is more visually striking, than the silver/charcoal. A red one, with grey leather & black top & automatic (Mustang Version) is the most common along with a white Mustang one with a Navy Blue roof.
It's the old, "seen that before" mentality ~ But the Silver Capri, the Aqua McLaren, The Snowball Edition, the Hot Yellow are all a "sit up & take notice" and a "Hey....I want that" kinda car. The two greatest factors in selling a car for the PRICE YOU WANT - are your customer's wallet & the "HEY, I WANT THAT" factor. You cannot do much for the customer's wallet, but with a "HEY I WANT THAT" eye appealing SHARP car, you've got a definate edge.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter has hit a big point.

Our cars are unknown. It will always keep the prices comparatively low. It seems like people are forking over $2k-3k for a common/used/running 85 Mustang GT but a similar condition asc Coupe can barely get the same value. And we're talking less than 400 asc coupes made.

Take a Predator Mustang or something equally as rare on the Mustang and the value shoots right up....way past the asc cars.

I don't think prices can go any lower.

As to asc verts...they are unique two seaters and I think the Mustang version will go up at a fair clip cince it is the more popular "aeronose" style and as such, drag the Capri versions up along with them.

Now if somebody got their 85 ascMcLaren Coupe into a blockbuster movie....

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
rlyons13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Predator Mustang...hmmm....I've come across one in my life, and the value was no greater than a compariable GT. Same with the Twister II Special, Canadian CObras, and all the other variations. But those cars are in the same boat as the asc/McLaren, very little publicity. So, what you guys are saying is that if I could pull off another cover shot in a Mustang mag (my 93 is on the cover of the 11/99 issue of MM&FF) it may increase demand. Just I'll have to crawl up Jimmy Campisano's butt if I jump on board the McLaren bandwagon.
svt1996cobra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: ASC Mclaren Values Reply with quote

I feel that the ASC Mclarens have hit the bottom, and are on the way up. In the automotive world there seem to be cycles. It seems each generation wants the car they dreamed about when they were in high school or shortly there after. Now 20 years later after they have established themselves, they want to find that car that they once drooled over when they were younger. In the 80's the 65-66 Mustangs caught on and so on. I recall standing in front of Harold Zeigler L-M looking at a blue 85 ASC Mclaren Coupe and a White Grand Prix Pace Car, thinking some day I will own these cars. Now that I am older, I have got the Pace Car, but need to find a ASC Coupe! I feel the rare and unique cars are the ones sought after, and the Mclarens fall into that category.

David
MercRS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlyons13 wrote:
Just I'll have to crawl up Jimmy Campisano's butt if I jump on board the McLaren bandwagon.

I lost every ounce of respect for this clown,I used to have a article of his
framed,it was about give me a Mercury anyday.Capri over Mustang Cyclone over the Torino etc etc.But then he got mad when the Marauder
came out and he said they should "Oldsmobile" Mercury.
He is a clown and he should go to auto week with those other import lovers.His scribble is a complete waste of trees.
MM&FFshould "Oldsmobile" him.

Sorry I don't like him Evil or Very Mad
69 Mercury Marauder X-100
70 Mercury Cyclone GT
86 McLaren Euro Coupe
85 McLaren Capri Coupe
03 Mercury Marauder
70 Ford Fairlane 500 SCJ DragPac
70 Mercury Cougar
73 Montego GT
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda got that from reading thru the drift Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
That's fine, there a quite a number of people that I feel
that way about.

RARE-ASC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
I kinda got that from reading thru the drift Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
That's fine, there a quite a number of people that I feel
that way about.

Me too i love my Marauder it is Bad A$$ and it really surprises many ricers Laughing . Hey and back to the ASC pricing you are on the money the low production color combos and 5-speeds bring the money like my 12k 5-speed 86 vert sold for almost twice the 60k AOD 86 vert brought you know the one Wink . I was a little dissapionted the that nice nice black 88 decent mile 5-speed vert only brought 7999 Confused
2013 FORD F150 RAPTOR "TERRAIN TAN" 4X4 CREW CAB & LIFT ON 37s.
2016 SHELBY MUSTANG GT-H HERTZ EDITION #82 OF 171.
1995 F-350 CREW CAB DUALLY POWERSTROKE FULL BANKS KIT!
rlyons13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

You can't hate a guy just because one of his views runs counter to yours. At least Jim calls them like he sees them. I've broken bread with both him and Evan Smith (Evan is the only other person in the world that has driven my Cobra in anger) and they are knowlegable people. And I think you missed his point. If Ford is not going to let Mercury fly, they should let the nameplate die with dignity.

I do have to say though, Car and Cupholder would become a much better rag with Jim at the helm.

Also, maybe because I live in a small state with the best drag strip in the world, a top rate drag strip and one more strip that looks like most of the others I've raced at in my youth, but several of the ricers out here can dust a Mustang, let alone the Maurder (which could have and should have been a better vehicle from the factory, especially for the money). I love kids that can put $10K in speed parts on a credit card with no intention of paying it back!
MercRS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I can,he was jumping the bandwagon just like every other nitwit
writer.How many did you see write the same garbage Plymouth is gone
Olds are gone well Ford HAS TO dump Mercury right.If Ford dumps Mercury what does that mean?.....more jobs lost.....
If people don't like what Olds Or Mercury make (or made) don't buy them.

Besides.The Marauder is a VERY GOOD Car to start with.Everybody is buying them and slapping blowers on them.I might get one,it would look nice next to my Big Block X-100 Marauder Twisted Evil
69 Mercury Marauder X-100
70 Mercury Cyclone GT
86 McLaren Euro Coupe
85 McLaren Capri Coupe
03 Mercury Marauder
70 Ford Fairlane 500 SCJ DragPac
70 Mercury Cougar
73 Montego GT
RARE-ASC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlyons13 wrote:
but several of the ricers out here can dust a Mustang, let alone the Maurder (which could have and should have been a better vehicle from the factory, especially for the money). I love kids that can put $10K in speed parts on a credit card with no intention of paying it back!

If you are going to knock it at least spell it right! Rolling Eyes And stock out of the box she is pound for pound one of the best lux performance values out there i have owned so many vehicles i have lost count and my MM was the first new car i have ever purchaced i got over 8k off sticker with rebates and Ford's D plan so was a deal when i put a roots system blower on her later this year i will send you the ET times Speak to the hand
RARE-ASC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RARE-ASC wrote:
rlyons13 wrote:
but several of the ricers out here can dust a Mustang, let alone the Maurder (which could have and should have been a better vehicle from the factory, especially for the money). I love kids that can put $10K in speed parts on a credit card with no intention of paying it back!

If you are going to knock it at least spell it right! Rolling Eyes And stock out of the box she is pound for pound one of the best lux performance values out there i have owned so many vehicles i have lost count and my MM was the first new car i have ever purchaced i got over 8k off sticker with rebates and Ford's D plan so was a deal. When i put a roots system blower on her later this year i will send you the ET times Speak to the hand

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if somebody had tinkered with the Marauder like asc did with the GNX, it would have become legendary.

Were there any plans to do so? Maybe there was and I just missed it.

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RARE-ASC ???

Rare Asc? Naw, RARE MARAUDER !! SILVER !!!!! Iv'e seen Black and Dark Red & Dark Blue.....But Silver? Never seen one. How many were made ? Sun Roof ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: