ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1985 Vert - Starting The Fix-Up
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CocoLoco

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: 1985 Vert - Starting The Fix-Up Reply with quote

Hi all - well I am starting to gather up parts for winter project. I have purchased dew wipes, a new air horn and a whole bunch of stuff from Henry at Paradise. As soon as I get the permanent registration & inspection done (gotta love PA), I will get started. I have a whole list of mostly minor things (I hope) that I will be addressing shortly. I'll stick my question in this thread just so I can stay organized.

Here's what I have adressed so far:
Bad horn - air compressor dead, one on order.
Missing/incorrect emblems - got these now
Dew wipe rotted - got these too
Floor mats - got these (very nice!!)

So here's my first questions:

QUESTION 1- Gauge cluster & speedo- as some of you had mentioned, the previous owner put white overlays on the gauges and put in the 140MPH speedo. The speed is way off. The overlyas don't line up properly. So I can't wait to get rid of them. ** What is the best way to remove them without damaging the original gauge faces? ** What is the correct gear to use for the 140 speedo (302 5 speed manual)? I think this might be more than 1 issue here.

QUESTION 2 - The driver's side sun visor is broken. The rod that fits into the holding clip broke. Looks like it had been fixed once before. I would just as soon get new visors. Are these convertible visors, coupe or something else. Color is tan - any idea where can I get these ?

QUESTION 3 - The tonneau hold-down sequence seems a little screwed up to me. But I don't have enough experience with it to know how it is supposed to work. I'll do my best to explain what is happening. When putting the top down, it is hard to allign the pin with the whole. To do so, I must push down on the cover a little to get the angle right. When I do this, the cover starts moving down without me pushing any button. Sometimes, it goes the whole way down and continues to run until it is back up. Happens with or without the pin in the hole. After some effort, I did get it to go down and stay down with the pin in the whole (success!!!) But I am not sure I can repeat it on a regular basis. So what could be wrong? Bad switch? Bad limit switch? I have seen some write-ups on the roof sequence, but they seem to apply more to the Mustangs. Am I missing something?? HELP !!!

QUESTION 4 - Some of the interior trim plastic pieces are a little worn. I was thinking about getting some interior paint to do this. Any suggestions on what kind and where to get?

QUESTION 5 - The dash board has a couple cracks in it. I have read that Just Dashes can redo these. Does naybody have any experience with them? I know it will be pricey, but I like to do things right. The other option is an after-market cover. Any thoughts on this?

Well that's it for now. Thanks in advance - Dwight
1985 Red ascMcLaren Convertible #218
1990 Seafoam Auqa ascMcLaren Convertible #263
2001 Yellow Mustang Convertible
1977 Red Bonneville Coupe
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Speedo not sure how the white faces are installed so remove with care. I could be wrong but I think yours should only be 85mph. And only the Coupe's got the 140mph. If so I can help I have extra 85mph. The speed is set by a gear in the transmission and the rear end gear ratio. The gears are different colors for what trans and axle ratio.

I may be able to help with Tan parts and a dash pad if you want to paint it.
svo413

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Questions Reply with quote

1. The 140 and the 85 MPH speedo use all the same gear.

2. The sun visor should be the standard hatch back visor. The changed about 85 to a 2 screw mount. Just twist and pull to remove the rod from the visor.

3. Have not played with this much but the tonneau should be raised up a bit to allow alignment. The switch can be replaced seperately on the latch assembly. It's a GM part.

4. Sem Paints makes an excellent matching paint which I used on my dash pad. Note the colored can tops are not exact color match. I posted the color here 6-12 months ago.

5. Dash pads are a tough one $600 to have it reskinned or maybe a repo one will be out soon that is good quality. Mostly they are replacing some of the poorly made units but I have yet to hear of someone who ordered a good one and got one on the first try. Used ones will crack with time. Don't expect a repo in Tan.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than likely the owner put 140mph guage overlay over an 85 speedo. That is why it is so far off.

Use a hair dryer, and warm it up really well and the glue should release enough to pull it off. If it is an 85mph speedo underneath, those are fairly easy to find in nice shape as people want to upgrade to 140mph.

The 85 speedo is probably correct for the car. Come 85 coupes got 140mph speedos, some did not. Mine did not. Not sure on whether the verts got them at all.

SEM does make good paint, for the charcoal I found the Charcoal bumper coating is very very close. Their graphite interior color is a bit too green.

If you have tan or something else, it's worth picking up a can or two and trying it. If SEM does make a spot on color, use it. If not, and you have an SEM dealer near you, you can ask for a custom mix.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
svo413

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Tan Interior Paint Reply with quote

I thought I posted this someplace here before but didn't see it. here is my post from FEP. We should make a sticky for interior paint solutions.

Tan Interior Paint for 85

The best I found is SEMs Classic Coast, color Medium Parchment, 17053, FMC BJCA. The can tops are not a close match to the paint. It took me a couple of cans to find the right one as the plastic cap can be misleading. Used it on the dash pad.

The ASC verts. have many shades of tan interior parts. From the console, door panels, seat belts, dash pad, dash hull, carpet, plastic tim around the winshield, kick panels and door scuff plates. The dash pads are usually trashed and the dash hull fades as well.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
dahberg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered from Omni-Pak a custom made match to the 1985 Light Sand Beige interior;

FL 44
Light Sand Beige - Flat
Mustang Lacquer

I have some extra rattle cans or you might order some custom made.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dahberg wrote:
I ordered from Omni-Pak a custom made match to the 1985 Light Sand Beige interior;

FL 44
Light Sand Beige - Flat
Mustang Lacquer

Omni pak? That's just a can company I thought?

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
dahberg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
dahberg wrote:

FL 44
Light Sand Beige - Flat
Mustang Lacquer

Omni pak? That's just a can company I thought?

-Mike

More than likely Mike! I am trying to find the original bill and receipt. Old age has taken it's toll as I fail to remember the specifics. I believe I paid close to $96 for 5 cans of paint and a sixth can of adhesion promoter for plastic and vinyl. I used the sray for the seat belt muckets and sleeves. The paint did not adhere to the seat belt sleeves but matched the interior perfectly. I saw the original ad on ebay for the company a few years back. Bought a single can someone had left over and then ordered in bulk (just in case)...
dahberg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First purchase from ebay for Omni-Pak FL 44 was posted by me June 8th, 2006 in response to another member on interior colors. I might have the info on my subsequent purchase at work and will try to find it tomorrow.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omni Pak is just the can manufacturer. All my Metro Finishes (which used Dupont paint) came in Omni Pak cans.

I am pretty sure there is no paint company that makes paint under "omni pak"

-Mike
CocoLoco

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyones input.
1) I think the previous ower got the 140 speedo from Paradise. He had it set to the current mileage before replacing. I have no reason to think otherwise. The 140 overlays he used did not even line up correctly with the 140 speedo. I'm hoping that's all it is.
2) I need to take another look at the sun visor. I think the part that broke is plastic. From some things I've seen on the net, I can't tell if the metal rod goes the whole way through or not. Seems to vary by style and/or model. I'll post up a picture or 2 later.
3) I still don't know about the tonneau sequence. I read through all the posts on here and haven't yet looked into it further. Hopefully I'll get some time to play later this month.
4) Thanks for all the info on paint. I'm going to order some soon. By the way, the dash pad is slightly darker than the dash board trim itself. So I'm going to try the sand beige color first.
5) I've pretty much decided to tear out the dash pad and send it off to Just Dashes. I am willing to pay a little extra to get a good fit and keep it as original as possible.

That's all for now - Dwight
CocoLoco

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All - well, I just put the Mustang away for the winter and moved my new ASCMcLaren to my home garage. I finally got the title from PennDOT and I now have to get it inspected. So now it's time to start my work. Lots of little stuff to do.

One additonal question - the dash cover (top) looks like it may have been painted. The dash proper is the Sand Beige color but the top part is a darker tan color. I'm going to send it to Just Dashes to get it re-done so I want to get the color right. Is this the correct original color combo??

Oh - I just looked at the 85 brochure. The dash in it is all black. Now i'm really confussed.

I'll take some pictures along the way and post up my progress. My business has really taken off in the past 2 months so it may be slow going on the car. Rule one in our house - ya gotta make it before ya spend it !!

Thanks -Dwight
#67 Black Mac'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwight,
Have you even considered a plastic dash pad cap?
I have one on my 83 Capri and one on my 88 Turbo Coupe and they fit and look great for about $75.
They all come in black, but can be painted whatever color you want.

If you are interested I will look back in the foureye archives and get you an address.
Ron
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No black was used in 1985 for an interior dash. The only black was the steering column covers, steering wheel and e-brake handle.

EDIT: I see the brochure. It is a prototype car. Don't go by that.

If you have a sand beige dash you need a sand beige dash pad.

-Mike
CocoLoco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#67 Black Mac' wrote:
Dwight,
Have you even considered a plastic dash pad cap?
I have one on my 83 Capri and one on my 88 Turbo Coupe and they fit and look great for about $75.
They all come in black, but can be painted whatever color you want.

If you are interested I will look back in the foureye archives and get you an address.
Ron

Ya - I have looked into those. Most of what I read was a mixed bag. Some fit good, others no so much. I don't mind spending the extra cash to get it right. Just so it's RIGHT!!! I might try the dash cap first. I'd only be out a few bucks if it doesn't work out. I'm curious what other members have run into with this???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: