ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GM wanted merger with Ford! Lmao

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: GM wanted merger with Ford! Lmao Reply with quote

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2011/10/new_book_says_general_motors_w.html

Shocked

Wow, can you imagine if this would've happened!? Anyone else ever hear this the last few years? They kept this a good secret.

GM and Chrysler in some respects were extremely lucky in regard to the fact that there was a government in place at the time sympathetic that they needed a bail out, because I doubt that this would always happen. As I think the public sentiment has changed now on the concept of bail outs.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, really? no one has a comment on this.

Where is everyone?

Are we all hibernating with our cars?? Wink

Or did everyone already know about this possible merger?
1988 ASC McLaren #688
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I heard inklings about it. They also bandied about Chrysler and GM merging at one point I think.

I wouldn't have been surprised if GM wanted to merge with Ford. You always want to merge with the richest company out there if you're floundering.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
CocoLoco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FORD - Built Without Your Tax Dollars !!! Hope it stays that way.
1985 Red ascMcLaren Convertible #218
1990 Seafoam Auqa ascMcLaren Convertible #263
2001 Yellow Mustang Convertible
1977 Red Bonneville Coupe
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CocoLoco wrote:

They get numerous tax breaks and "advantages" from tax payers.

http://www.pitch.com/plog/archives/2011/01/18/ford-gets-tax-breaks-will-invest-400-million-in-kansas-city-assembly-plant

Major corporations play the black mail game (give us tax money or else no jobs) as standard procedure to fatten their bottom line.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Kentennis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Cars and unions. Reply with quote

Let me exress a few 'musings.' I was Supervisor of Machining for a company called TRW. I worked primarily in Steering and linkage. For over 12 years.

The UNION workers get blamed for the poor quality of any auto produced. But the UNION is NOT responsible for QUALITY. The company sets the parameters for the quality, builds or orders, the machinery that makes the parts. From that point on the UNION has NO SAY at all in the quality of the product. They are not allowed to shut the line down when parts come thru with missing holes, leaks etc.

I was a member of management and a non-union member. (I was a union member for a couple years and have an Honorable Withdrawal Card from the UAW).

I have the greatest respect for the UAW Auto Workers. They work under horrible conditions. They do the best they can, with the tools that management gives them. They have little, or no, say in the final products quality. And most are very loyal and dedicated to the company they work for.

The companies have been getting tax breaks, with threats of leaving for 50 years. And it will continue forever. I just hope that this nation will continue and grow. But the unions have been maligned for 30+ years. They are taking the blame for something they have no control over. And the corporations are holding the rest of us hostage. Do it, 'my way', or I we hit the highway! Until each and every state quits 'giving away the farm' will anything change.
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
CocoLoco wrote:

They get numerous tax breaks and "advantages" from tax payers.

http://www.pitch.com/plog/archives/2011/01/18/ford-gets-tax-breaks-will-invest-400-million-in-kansas-city-assembly-plant

Major corporations play the black mail game (give us tax money or else no jobs) as standard procedure to fatten their bottom line.

-Mike

Ok, they do like every company in America does when looking to startup or relocate to a different state, you go to the area that is the most business friendly. Thats just common sense. I wouldn't call it black mail. But I know its popular right now to be anti business. But lets not in the least compare Ford to GM and chrysler, Ford took a huge gamble (they also reacted earlier to the economic mess than their competitors)and put alot on the line to not take the bail out, they even put up their trademark blue oval as collateral. The entire company from top to bottom deserve alot credit. They even had to deal with not getting the same concession deals (that gm and chrysler did) from the unions, just because they didn't take the bailout. (correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I don't think I am)
1988 ASC McLaren #688
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford definitely gets Kudos for planning ahead and making smart moves. That made them a much stronger company.

But to say they don't receive some form of Tax Payer funding in some way is disingenuous.

Companies time and time again, shop around for a cheaper place to setup shop. They get guaranteed tax breaks, even free land to setup shop with usually a multi-year guarantee that by the end of that time they will be employing "x" workers. The community hopes that the revenue from local jobs and future taxes will be a benefit and the return at the back end of the deal will be worth the up-front cost. Factories/plants are not free for a community. They cost money in infrastructure upgrades and services.

What really happens? The corp enjoys the tax breaks for that agreed time. They hire a fraction of the workers. And they threaten to leave if taxes kick in. The community is in the end stuck with subsidizing the corporation and getting minimal (if any) benefit.

I don't know where the idea that "anti-business" is a popular notion. It's the shady and underhanded dealings big business has that pisses people off.

-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: