ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new owner in the UK
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svodon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks for your reply and for the information Sandy, that really is great reading, I am fascinated by this sort of stuff, how did you manage to come across one of just two cars made? thats amazing.
I will send you the vin number later today when I finish work, the last number is covered by the small black plate so I will remove that.

Id just like to say that there is no way in a million years I ever thought I would own an ASC Mclaren Mustang, I bought my first fox, a 79 v6 notchback, when I was 19 (im 44 this year) and have owned them ever since. I could not belive my luck when this one came up for sale, Ive always admired them but Ive never even seen one, even when I've visited shows in the States! I just knew I had to have it, it was very hard dealing with the sellers but thats just history now!

Heres a little picture of how I spent last evening, making use of the kitchen sink cleaning interior parts!

Tx Trooperstang

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a VIN plate on the drivers side lower Windshield .

Tom
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To address your question....I made friends with alot of people at asc/McLaren and they were blowen away by my love of their product.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
svodon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well after several months of playing Im still finding problems everywhere! Ive had to completely rebuild all of the brakes as there were odd brake hoses, leaking joints and non working cylinders and servo, thats all done now, next job to tackle is a leaking core plug on the passenger side, it looks like a new one has been fitted but it seems to be leaking from there, I was thinking of chancing my luck and putting a bottle or two of leak stopper into the water system and seeing if that works but im a bit sceptical.
Im not missing much driving it though, this has been the wettest British Summer on record so far and it doesnt look like changing, with any luck I'll be taking the car out on cold crisp winter days at least!
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
bottle or two of leak stopper into the water system

Are you INSANE?

The reason there is a leak is that the metal is old and thin. REPLACE IT. The system is under pressure and will BURST on you. If you have had a bit of warning via a small leak THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS. When they go, they usually GO BIG!

The one in my car went after we got her running again and just dumped a few gallons on the driveway. I was REALLY lucky as my overflow drain was not clogged. They often dump out into the interior.

EDIT: Are we talking the heater "core". If not, I am not sure what you're referring to as a "core plug".

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
svodon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no its not the heater core, Ive already replaced that, its a core plug that is pushed into the side of the engine block. I would replace it but as I mentioned in my last post, it has already been replaced by a previous owner, it just seems that maybe they didnt use any sealant when the put it in.
Looking at it, I may be able to get at it after removing the starter motor and exhaust header, if I cant, it looks like its an engine out job to replace it, unless anyone knows of a simpler way to replace it?
Kentennis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a freeze plug. In America anyway. They shouldn't need sealant, they should just be pounded into the block and not leak. try not to use aluminum plugs. They get electrolysis and degenerate faster than brass.
svodon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Kentennis, yes that must be a 'lost in transalation' one! It is one of the freeze plugs and it does look like its made of aluminium, the car has stood for 10 years so maybe electrolysis has taken its toll on this one then, oh dear, this looks like its going to take a while to do!.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, frost plug. Shouldn't be a big deal to replace. It does depend on how accessible it is though.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Kentennis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And replace them all at the same time, preferably with brass ones.
svodon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all,
its been a while since Ive been on here so I thought Id post some progress updates.
My 87 car is finally back on the road after 10 years in a barn, ive a few issues of the engine stunbling at about 1700 rpm but Im hoping to get that cured soon. Other than that, everything is fine, I need to replace my roof though, Im not sure whether to stick with the stock beige one or maybe go for black instead, decisions decisions!
Hers a pic I took recently at work,

theres some more pictures here on my photobucket page if anyone is interested,
http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa137/svodon/1987%20Mclaren%20Mustang/?start=0

theres pictures of it parked next to some of my other Foxes too!
Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: