ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford's missing entrant in its lineup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Ford's missing entrant in its lineup Reply with quote

Okay, maybe some of you can elaborate on this and explain why Ford no longer even tries to compete in the minivan market.

Ford IMHO, is a very strong company that produces much better than average vehicles. Luxury, sports car/muscle, large sedan, mid size sedan, compact, and sub compact, SUV, small SUV......... For the life of me, I cannot grasp how Ford actually doesn't have a minivan anymore as part of their lineup. Confused They discontinued the Freestar in 2007, 2006 was the last year made. And I see hundreds of them all the time!And this is 2012!

The reason I bring this up is that our family dynamic has changed froma few years ago and I'd actually consider a minivan, but without a Ford option........ ehhhh. And no, don't bring up the kia, honda, toy, etc. options. The other option is moving to a larger SUV. We have a small SUV now, but either need to move to a large SUV or a minivan. I suppose I'd consider a GM or Dodge, but I haven't cared for the interiors of GMs for a long time, and I've just heard too many horror stories about Dodge. (okay, GM doesn't make minivans either I see, how embarrassing that the USA can't build a minivan, other than Chysler) Seriously. The country that invented the minivan.

Anyone heard any rumors of Ford getting back into the minivan arena??? (this sounds like a no way in hell answer after reading some info online).

Rolling Eyes
1988 ASC McLaren #688
Kentennis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were going to have the new C-Max here but cancelled plans for the 7 passenger model.

We hada 1989 Ford Aerostar, bought new in Oct. 1988 for $13,250.00 delivered. Tax and all. Loved it. Maybe because it was a rear wheel drive van. Wife drives a 2004 Ford escape and I have a 2008 Ford Expedition. Wish Ford would go back to the 4.6 Liter V-8 in the Expedition. It did everything I asked of it and got great fuel mileage, for it's size.

Last edited by Kentennis on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfs2121

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive what for has called their new "family hauler" it's called the ford flex seven passenger cuv. I guess customers don't want to drive minivans anymore so ford and gm killed them off. Go for a test drive in a flex and fall in love. Then ask to test drive the 3.5l twin turbo Eco boost flex. My flex is a 2009 so I don't have the ego boost but i still love this Car.
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sales figures is where you will find the reason,
Chrysler & Dodge have like fifty percent of the
market, among the domestics. In New Jersey, I venture to say better than 50% of the domestic MiniVans.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, double post Crying or Very sad .

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfs2121 wrote:
I drive what for has called their new "family hauler" it's called the ford flex seven passenger cuv. I guess customers don't want to drive minivans anymore so ford and gm killed them off. Go for a test drive in a flex and fall in love. Then ask to test drive the 3.5l twin turbo Eco boost flex. My flex is a 2009 so I don't have the ego boost but i still love this Car.

These have been growing on me. My realtor just bought a brand new one loaded. pretty damn nice. I think we will strongly consider this one. I also like the redesigned Explorers. Need to compare the interior space with that of a Flex.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
The sales figures is where you will find the reason,
Chrysler & Dodge have like fifty percent of the
market, among the domestics. In New Jersey, I venture to say better than 50% of the domestic MiniVans.

I guess I just don't get how Ford can have such success in designing and building trucks, SUVs, sedans, compacts, and sports cars, and can't figure out how to design and sell a minivan.

I always thought their progression from the Aerostar, to the Windstar, to the Freestar were all huge improvements over the prior design. Not to mention I see these all over the road. Still. Couldn't have been that bad.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
75coug

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Flex Limited is a fine vehicle. Roomy, very comfy, good mileage for such a big vehicle. The refrigerator option is cool, though the one that I bought did not have one.

1989 ascMcLaren convertible - royal gold
1986 ascMcLaren convertible - red
1984 ascMcLaren convertible - white
tfs2121

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shelbyscarab wrote:
tfs2121 wrote:

These have been growing on me. My realtor just bought a brand new one loaded. pretty damn nice. I think we will strongly consider this one. I also like the redesigned Explorers. Need to compare the interior space with that of a Flex.

It took me some time to grow on the flex too. The new 13 model looks sweet. My 09 is a limited loaded with every available option except rear DVD. The only thing I wish it had was the Eco boost engine but it was not available on the 09. The flex and explorer have the same 3rd row. The difference is in the flexes 2nd row. Much more room and if you get 2nd row buckets like mine they move foward or back to make room in the 3rd row. The buckets along with the fridge do lower your passenger limit to 6. I don't have kids but I have heard from other flexers that because you have so much room in the 2nd row you don't get kicked in the back by kids in car seats. But seriously just go drive one you will love it.
avmtdan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure that the freestar was actually a ford product. The ford Windstar in the mid to late 90s was actually a rebadged Nissan quest with a few ford interior options, but mechanically was Nissan. I think just a general poor performance or styling in most of Fords minivan offers probably contributed quite a bit to them not offering one. Not to mention since Ford has stopped and started production on that particular family of vehicles so frequently, I personally wouldn't consider one for fear of it becoming another pumpkin of a vehicle that you can't get parts or service for.
87 ASC Mclaren Mustang #416
mustang marty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avmtdan wrote:
Im not sure that the freestar was actually a ford product. The ford Windstar in the mid to late 90s was actually a rebadged Nissan quest with a few ford interior options, but mechanically was Nissan.

Actually, that was the Mercury Villager http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Villager. My brother had one for a short time until the Honda Odyssey came out. The Windstar and the Freestar were the same Taurus based min-van, the name change was due to Fords obsession to begin thier car names with an F.

The main differences was the Freestar had an optional 4.2l engine and a fold flat third row seat. Otherwise it was just a face-lifted Windstar.

Ford considers the Transit and Flex as its 'Minivans'
avmtdan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks for the correction. Still, how many other domestic manufacturer rebrand a vehicle from an import?
87 ASC Mclaren Mustang #416
tfs2121

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avmtdan wrote:
Ah, thanks for the correction. Still, how many other domestic manufacturer rebrand a vehicle from an import?

You would be surprised.
Pontiac vibe is a Toyota
Saturn vue is a Honda or Saab
Chrysler used Mitsubishi engines in a lot of caravans and seabrings
I could name more but need some time to think about them

But surprisingly the only ford I can think of is the villager that had the Nissan motor.
ChuckG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vibe was built in the GM/Toyota NUMMI plant in California.

The original Taurus SHO had a Yamaha engine, the Mark VI diesels were BMW, I believe, and the 2.8 V6 in Fox bodies was German-built.

Also, the foreign-built "native" models--300, Caravan, Challenger, Camaro, Edge=Canada. Fusion=Mexico.

Oddly, Accords, Camrys=US . BMW, Kia, Hyundai, Mazda have US-built models.

Feel free to add to this list showing what a wiggle word "Domestic" has become.

Last edited by ChuckG on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfs2121

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My flex was built in oakville ontario along side the edge.

The vibe has a Toyota engine and trans in it. It's just a re badged Toyota matrix

Also the old geo prizm is just a re badged corolla. This is nothing new auto makers have been trading between each other for a long time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: