ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Shock and Struts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ascMcWhat85

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: New Shock and Struts? Reply with quote

What shocks and struts should I put on my 1985 ASC/McLaren Convertible? Need some help.
Also need to know where I can get them.
Thanks,
Clay
svo413

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing. My car has 108K miles on it. I have most of the receipts since 40K. When I looked at them a few weeks ago, they say Motorcraft on the struts. I haven't found a part that looks like struts on the Ford/ASC special parts list (mods or ship along parts to ASC). My fronts and backs appear to be original and black. FRom what I've read, only the springs and tie rod ends were changed. Later years got shocks etc. I'm no expert yet.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svo413 wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. My car has 108K miles on it. I have most of the receipts since 40K. When I looked at them a few weeks ago, they say Motorcraft on the struts. I haven't found a part that looks like struts on the Ford/ASC special parts list (mods or ship along parts to ASC). My fronts and backs appear to be original and black. FRom what I've read, only the springs and tie rod ends were changed. Later years got shocks etc. I'm no expert yet.

From the info "known", only the coupes got tie rod tips and springs and shocks. The convertibles were not supposed to get any suspension mods (the coupes were the racers and the verts were the cruisers). This includes the 85-86 (84?) Capri verts too. So your convertible suspension "should" be stock Ford.

Now with that being said....the 85 Capri vert that "ponydude" has, was pretty obviously lowered. The fact that that car had every last original piece of equipment on it, lends me to believe that maybe "some" (early?) 85 verts could have been lowered by asc.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
ascMcWhat85

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Shocks and Struts Reply with quote

Does anyone know part # or other good manufactuers part # like Koni?
Thanks,
Clay
mustang marty

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 85 vert is lowered. The rear shocks plain black with part numbers on them. I haven't seen whats up front yet... Not sure if they are stock or not.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mustang marty wrote:
My 85 vert is lowered. The rear shocks plain black with part numbers on them. I haven't seen whats up front yet... Not sure if they are stock or not.

Yes, and "Jdawg" who posted when the forums were on Yahoo, had a vert his father purchased brand new and it was lowered too by asc.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: