ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windshield moulding/ project progress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BRYAN ROGERS

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Windshield moulding/ project progress Reply with quote

I removed my windshield moulding today after a great deal of effort to NOT break it. I was mostly sucessfull since it only had the cracks that were already there and I didn't make any more.

The windshield needs to be replaced and I knew I had to remove this item myself otherwise the glass installers surely would have broken it ($328 from Hank). It was glued/rubber goobered in there really, really good.

When I was driving the car I felt crowded by the rear view mirror, so I tried to remove it and reinstall it higher on the windshield. I wound up taking a divot the size of a 50 cent piece out of the glass too. So it didn't make be cry today when I spiderwebbed that sucker in about 100 places.

Anyhow, progress has been made. The car is now at a friends place who does custom stereos and electronics (I do that stuff too, but he fabricates with fiberglass and resin. I use metal) to smooth and fill the engine compartment.

Maybe the thing will be running by summer! Maybe a big bag of money will fall out of the sky!

I still haven't decided what engine to use either. I've been thinking of a 331, an Eaton supercharged 302 (already have the Eaton), or possibly a Mach 1 4.6 4V (MachLaren?). I also like the Triton V10 too Twisted Evil . I think it would fit and definitely be a wowzer to those who know what one is.
'95 Cobra.
'07 Kawasaki Z1000.
ASCMCLRN

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield moulding/ project progress Reply with quote

BRYAN ROGERS wrote:
I removed my windshield moulding today after a great deal of effort to NOT break it. I was mostly sucessfull since it only had the cracks that were already there and I didn't make any more.

The windshield needs to be replaced and I knew I had to remove this item myself otherwise the glass installers surely would have broken it ($328 from Hank). It was glued/rubber goobered in there really, really good.

When I was driving the car I felt crowded by the rear view mirror, so I tried to remove it and reinstall it higher on the windshield. I wound up taking a divot the size of a 50 cent piece out of the glass too. So it didn't make be cry today when I spiderwebbed that sucker in about 100 places.

Anyhow, progress has been made. The car is now at a friends place who does custom stereos and electronics (I do that stuff too, but he fabricates with fiberglass and resin. I use metal) to smooth and fill the engine compartment.

Maybe the thing will be running by summer! Maybe a big bag of money will fall out of the sky!

I still haven't decided what engine to use either. I've been thinking of a 331, an Eaton supercharged 302 (already have the Eaton), or possibly a Mach 1 4.6 4V (MachLaren?). I also like the Triton V10 too Twisted Evil . I think it would fit and definitely be a wowzer to those who know what one is.

If you are waiting for a big bag of money to fall out of the sky make sure a new wiring harness and electrician fall as well for a 4.6 or V10. Then if you or anyone else wants to convert it back there goes a bigger expense. Why not go with the 331 or s/c 302? Great motor plenty of power. Save the Triton for a Cobra kit car or a 99-04 with Lamborghini style doors, hehe.

How difficult was the windshield molding? Are they all glued in? I have to do mine this summer just looking for advice now.

-Nick Smile
BRYAN ROGERS

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the moulding is a pain. You really have to be carefull not to break the thing. It's not super fragile, but it takes a great deal of effort to get it off. I used a long screwdriver type scraper to slice the rubber goober out from under the moulding and worked my way around the windshield. I trashed the windshield, but I'm O.K. with that.

As far as the wiring goes, that's one of my specialties so no big on that one. It's just the idea of having something different under the hood, weighed against having something simple.

The other side to this is that it is a convertible. I don't know how much horsepower I want to give myself in it. If I put something insane in it the chances that I will get into an accident while being a freakin' test pilot are much greater than with a stock-ish motor. I've been thinking about building a 331 for use with an Eaton M112 (Lightning/Cobra blower) and putting that in my Cobra, then swapping my current 331 with 330-rwhp-380Tq. into the Mc.

Lots of things to ponder. I guess the bottom line is this- The longer I dick around with some exotic/oddball motor, the longer I have to wait to drive it.
'95 Cobra.
'07 Kawasaki Z1000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: